The mysterious blue DROID backlight bleed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebrudy

Reaction score
Hey fellow Droidians.

Can everyone do me a favor?

Set your lovely Droids at maximum brightness.

Surf to Blackle.com. (I just need your screens to be all black. If you have a black picture, that works too.)

Look at the left edge of your screen. Do you see it?

I have 3 Droids and they all have a blue backlight bleed line down the side.

This is not something you need to view at extreme angles like the famous bottom touch button led bleed, it is rather obvious, especially when watching dark movies.

Thanks for everyone's time. I just want to know if it's common or if my luck is just THAT bad.

Last edited:

GolfProRM

Reaction score
It's a faint blue, but it's there on mine as well. Not really a concern as I wouldn't have noticed it until I tried this. Had to go into a dark room with the brightness on high to notice it. I leave mine on auto-brightness, so I'm not concerned as I've never noticed it before.

StupidityKills

Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me. These are phones people. They aren't perfect and never will be. If you search long enough you can find faults with anything. I think this is getting way too picky. Let's just enjoy the phones and stop looking for things to be upset about. I would have never even noticed this if it wasn't pointed out. The screen is the best yet on a smart phone, count me happy. Instead of running my phone through countless silly tests, I am busy enjoying it. :icon_ banana:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If it honestly bugs you that much just go and exchange the phone.

OP
U

unclebrudy

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply. I agree that the circumstances are limited in which this could be a problem, and again, I'm not assuming mine are defective. My taking notice of the issue first occurred when I was watching Star Wars in bed while trying to fall asleep, the outer space scenes with mostly dark black showed the blue line the most. More irritating than anything else, but I wanted to be certain that my unit is behaving normally.

Million

Reaction score
Uh huh I noticed it too in some games and videos, but I just thought that there's nothing that could be done about it? Never thought it was a problem and that it's just a tiny minor thing I thought.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys defending Droid for faults seem a bit strange. It's our duty as a consumer to point out the faults of a device, it's what makes the companies fix them when the next one comes out. This is a forum to discuss everything about the Droid, even it's faults, so get used to it.

OP
U

unclebrudy

Reaction score
Sorry if I came off as a nitpicker, and sorry if this post irritated anyone. For the record, I love my Droid, as does my wife and brother. Was simply wondering if it's normal. The 'silly test' was just to duplicate a dark scene in a movie, didn't want everyone to load up Star Wars and cue up the opening scene.

Maybe I just watch too many dark movies.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Some of you guys defending Droid for faults seem a bit strange. It's our duty as a consumer to point out the faults of a device, it's what makes the companies fix them when the next one comes out. This is a forum to discuss everything about the Droid, even it's faults, so get used to it.

And some of "you guys" with your complaints are just plain...out of left field. Can you view videos on it? Yes. Is it a video player? No! There is a slide out keyboard, thus there HAS to be a gap, and thus yes, it will bleed. It is not your "duty" to find something to complain about. If there is a problem... well then absolutely you should point it out and/or demand it is fixed. Or ask if there is a way to fix it. That is a far from from trying to find fault and complaining for the sake of complaining.

And yes, people will point out when you cross the line from reporting a problem to nitpicker... so get used to it. You have every right to express your opinion on such a matter. And so does the person that thinks you being petty.

OP
U

unclebrudy

Reaction score
]
And some of "you guys" with your complaints are just plain...out of left field. Can you view videos on it? Yes. Is it a video player? No! There is a slide out keyboard, thus there HAS to be a gap, and thus yes, it will bleed. It is not your "duty" to find something to complain about. If there is a problem... well then absolutely you should point it out and/or demand it is fixed. Or ask if there is a way to fix it. That is a far from from trying to find fault and complaining for the sake of complaining.

And yes, people will point out when you cross the line from reporting a problem to nitpicker... so get used to it. You have every right to express your opinion on such a matter. And so does the person that thinks you being petty.

Howdy Jay. Maybe you misunderstood the tone of my response posts. They were apologetic. No need for name calling.

But petty? I never said it was my duty to find stuff to complain about. Let's consider that each of us will be paying $2,000USD+ for the life of our Droids, assuming average service and unit costs. I certainly think that I'm allowed to ask if something I noticed on my Droid while using one of its features is normal.

Don't get me wrong, I love your sarcastic post here. I still think that there's a fine line between the camaradrie we share here on DroidForums, and crossing that line, vehemently defending the phone like a fanboy.

My wife and brother have the phone because I wholeheartedly recommended it; we bought our phones at the same Verizon store. Totally plausible they are from the same batch. Knowing that we have Droid users around the US here on this board, I simply asked if this backlight bleed is 'normal'; just because we have it doesn't necessarily translate it to being normal. Knowing that many of us have the bleed and there are many different Droid owners with many different Droids from many different batches here on this forum, it's not as if I re-love my Droid now simply because of knowing this. I just wanted to know if I should do something before I'm stuck with a defective unit that may worsen over the course of at least 2 years of ownership.

You most certainly have the right to think I'm being petty. That's how important my Droid is to me, I just wanted to make sure it is functionally sound. I think investing in the device itself and monthly access costs warrants me to query (mind you, not once did I 'complain' about anything, it was just a semi-poll) about something. If that's being petty, then so be it.

adam8ch

Reaction score
Checked for this. I do not have the blue backlight bleed. If I do, I realy can't see it.

I disagree with poster complaining about nitpickers. Nitpick away! I'm on my third droid for various reasons. You don't want something to be wrong with your device. Even if its a small issue, it can bother you enough that you don't enjoy your phone nearly as much as if it wasn't there. If its a universal problem, you deal, but if you find it out its specific to your droid, you're going to want to get it replaced.

shademar

Reaction score
I had asymmetrical backlight bleed visible from head on viewing angles from day one and it bugged the crap out of me. The VZW store near me was utterly unhelpful in my quest to exchange it, as they are wont to be. In the end I decided I liked the phone overall and this minor and seemingly common flaw was something I could live with. (I tired, and failed, to name the phone 'Winky' in my mind as some sort of compensatory cutesy coping mechanism. Failed on many levels, come to think of it...)

Then my AUX port stopped working last night. Five min on 611 CS, and they're sending me a new droid in a few days time...and suddenly, I'm terrified about giving up this one, popping crackling jack, backlight bleed and all. Too many things I liked (the solid feeling of the slide of the keyboard and the satisfying 'thunk' when it engages) are suddenly back on the drawing table, who knows what I'll get in return...

Fingers crossed, maybe the small gods of consumer electronics will smile on me.

JayMonster

Reaction score
unclebrudy;80473 Howdy Jay. Maybe you misunderstood the tone of my response posts. They were [I said:
apologetic.[/I] No need for name calling.

I am sorry that you felt this was directed at you. It wasn't. Though I did use your complaint as an example, I did completely understand your tone. And I have always been one who has believed that the dumbest question is the one not asked.

My reply was directed completely at the poster I was quoting. It is one thing to ask questions (as you did)and another to put it in a demand tone of why the heck doesn't this do x or y when this or that does it. That is the one thing that I find irritating (and the reason for my attempt at humor in that other thread.

So again, my apologies. I spend a lot of time here, because I learn a few things,but just as much i enjoy helping other Droid users. So you got questions? Hopefully, I (or somebody) will have answers.

I hope this makes it a bit more clear, and again my apologies for it appearing that it was directed at you when that was not my intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.