Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Well I didn't expect the specs to go on forever. It's going to be stuff like Project Ara or Moto's Active Display that are going to set the devices apart now.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I am assuming, though I don't think I am far off, that there are many people that definitely use phone minutes. The more tech savvy we get as consumers, the better we can use the options available to us.

Here are some thoughts:

A buddy of mine that moved to KY for work got a job working for IBM as a contractor doing hardware upgrades for State Farm in the local area. Mainly, he installs printers (the bane of any IT professionals existence). Because he is a contractor for IBM, he gets no Admin privileges. If the install goes smooth, no big deal. With printers, it never goes smooth. He spends a lot of time on the phone with tech support.

In the tower industry, installers spend hours on the phone with turf vendors, manufacturer's support, carrier NOC support etc. These guys will literally wait on hold for hours. I have seen two phones side by side on hold with different companies for 3+ hours.

And last but not least, I work with a guy who went signed up for a new AT&T account when he bought his Nexus 5. He already had a Google Voice number, and has been using it for some years. He bought a HUGE data plan with the least amount of minutes and SMS as possible. He uses his data connection for phone services, SMS/MMS etc. It works for him. His WiFi at home is great, so his calls sound great. The moment that WiFi signal gets poor, his call quality gets poor. When his AT&T signal is down to 1 bar, either on LTE or HSPA (4G), he can still get a call through sounding pretty good.

So yes, there is still a huge demand for voice minutes. The biggest issue with VoIP (Skype, Google Voice) is that the data connection required to do so has to be reliable and consistent. Ping times need to be stable in order for the call quality to be consistent. VoLTE is a different beast all together and will likely work very well assuming the carrier networks offering the service have their network setup properly.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I am assuming, though I don't think I am far off, that there are many people that definitely use phone minutes. The more tech savvy we get as consumers, the better we can use the options available to us.

Here are some thoughts:

A buddy of mine that moved to KY for work got a job working for IBM as a contractor doing hardware upgrades for State Farm in the local area. Mainly, he installs printers (the bane of any IT professionals existence). Because he is a contractor for IBM, he gets no Admin privileges. If the install goes smooth, no big deal. With printers, it never goes smooth. He spends a lot of time on the phone with tech support.

In the tower industry, installers spend hours on the phone with turf vendors, manufacturer's support, carrier NOC support etc. These guys will literally wait on hold for hours. I have seen two phones side by side on hold with different companies for 3+ hours.

And last but not least, I work with a guy who went signed up for a new AT&T account when he bought his Nexus 5. He already had a Google Voice number, and has been using it for some years. He bought a HUGE data plan with the least amount of minutes and SMS as possible. He uses his data connection for phone services, SMS/MMS etc. It works for him. His WiFi at home is great, so his calls sound great. The moment that WiFi signal gets poor, his call quality gets poor. When his AT&T signal is down to 1 bar, either on LTE or HSPA (4G), he can still get a call through sounding pretty good.

So yes, there is still a huge demand for voice minutes. The biggest issue with VoIP (Skype, Google Voice) is that the data connection required to do so has to be reliable and consistent. Ping times need to be stable in order for the call quality to be consistent. VoLTE is a different beast all together and will likely work very well assuming the carrier networks offering the service have their network setup properly.
I hate printers.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I hate printers.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

I think we all harbor a hate for the ever-destructive printer.

VoLTE is a different beast all together and will likely work very well assuming the carrier networks offering the service have their network setup properly.

This is the only think that is tempting me to drop my unlimited and move to the shared data plans, but I have to REALLY want VoLTE for me to drop that kind of cash.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I think we all harbor a hate for the ever-destructive printer.

I had trouble with my home printer. After installing the driver, it would not work. Uninstall the driver, then Windows Update detects the printer and installs the driver. Wireless printers are a PITA to set up!!

VoLTE is a different beast all together and will likely work very well assuming the carrier networks offering the service have their network setup properly.

This is the only think that is tempting me to drop my unlimited and move to the shared data plans, but I have to REALLY want VoLTE for me to drop that kind of cash.

There is a certain quality to switched voice services that I would be interested to see if VoLTE can compete with. The whole voice over data in congested areas means something will suffer. Because voice will likely take priority, in congested areas data may suffer, even with carrier aggregation. I don't know much about it, so I guess I better start reading. ;)

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
Did you say skinny jeans?? :blink:
the blue arrow wears skinny jeans, and has a note! The Blue Arrow draws photos on snapchat and sends them to the masses! The Blue Arr- ahh forget it. There will never be a time when I wouldnt want to have more displays around me, if you have a screen, then it only makes sense to make it bigger and enjoy the tech to its potential .

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I'm interested to see where phones go from here. Smartphones are definitely at a breaking point. Something has to give. Also I barely use my minutes on my phone either. Mostly use data and texts. Att app doesn't even show minutes used. It just say unlimited.

My personal blog:
Life Is A Blog - Life Is A Blog Write It