Let's Talk (why one clicks are not helping)

wooddale

Reaction score
Ill be the second one. I just posted yesterday how I agree about learning adb and now I need to. So here I go my phoine is not bricked or anything I tried to download the radio fix I think I followed instructions. when I got done with hboot phone loaded up fine only problem I lost root. I used the easy root system so I went back and tried to run step 3 it keeps giving me error says it can not find adb exe. I have the superuser in my drawer but no root. Its probably something simple to you guys but I cant figure it out bet if I knew adb I could.Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
wooddale ate you using that 3 step root app if so I had it fail on me at step 3 as well.
I started with step 6:

How to: Root the HTC Thunderbolt and Unlock the Bootloader - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
pc Im or was using the 3 step method I dont think I can use that other method dont know enough about adb I need to get rooted again somehow Thanks

This will walk you step by step how to set up adb and how to get rooted. If you already have your drivers set up (and you prob do if you using the one step root) then ignore the part about setting up your drivers.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...ooting-tbolt-through-adb-step-step-video.html

wooddale

Reaction score
wooddale ate you using that 3 step root app if so I had it fail on me at step 3 as well.
I started with step 6:

How to: Root the HTC Thunderbolt and Unlock the Bootloader - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
pc Im or was using the 3 step method I dont think I can use that other method dont know enough about adb I need to get rooted again somehow Thanks

This will walk you step by step how to set up adb and how to get rooted. If you already have your drivers set up (and you prob do if you using the one step root) then ignore the part about setting up your drivers.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...ooting-tbolt-through-adb-step-step-video.html
What does it mean when my computer says it cant find adb.exe cant seem to get past that point

dvgb173

Reaction score
What does it mean when my computer says it cant find adb.exe cant seem to get past that point

Assuming you are running some version of Windows on your computer:
It means Windows doesn't know the path to the program adb.exe.
In your DOS window, your prompt should show you where in the file system you currently are eg. C:\ means you are at the root of your C: drive.
You can do a cd (change directory,) to the folder where you put adb.exe.

cd c:\windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

That is where mine is. Once you are in the folder where adb.exe resides, you can run adb.exe

Or you can put the full path to adb.exe in your Windows environment variables. All the walk-thrus I have seen show you how to do this. I would recommend this step if you will be using adb a lot.

Hope this helps.

wooddale

Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys who.helped got root back can't wait to learn more about and

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
PC, I think this thread is an EXCELLENT idea! My TB was my first experience with adb and it really isn't as hard as it looks...of course, I had help too but they didn't hold my hand. I think everyone here knows that I really like Z4root, its an awesome app! I've always told the users I've walked through what was going on and "taught as we walked" through whatever they were wanting to do to their phones. I've had some do something wrong but were able to fix it themselves because they actually understood what happened. It's by no means a bragging thing but, we're all here to help each other. Period. When I rooted my D1 almost a year ago, I just wanted to overclock and all I knew about it was it could make my phone faster but, it wasn't until a week or so later that I learned what a kernel even was. I had 0 computer experience when I came here and now I'm a member of the Rescue Squad. I owe every bit of what I know to DF! If these forums didn't exist, I'd probably still be stock. I'd also like to get more familiar with adb myself so I'll be following along :)

bmore

Reaction score
No thanks man.............Ill stick to waiting for the easy root before I dive in.

Worked great on my TB and with zero adb knowledge :)

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great thread. I understand the convenience of one clicks but a little adb knowledge goes a long way. But I also think the end user should know what the mod/hack does to their $600+ device before using a one click or use an update.zip. I see too many,"rooted, now what?" threads followed by,"flashed a rom, stuck in a bootloop. Help." People get in deep because hacks are streamlined and no one takes the time to do a little research. Adb can be a pain to set up, but its easy to use.

Hateslinger

Reaction score
This is a great topic. I'm a noob but still managed to root my Thunderbolt using Adb and the nine step process. It was my first time rooting a phone. Thankfully there was a video showing me how use adb.

1- I still do not know adb. I would like to know. I'm familiar with it now and know what it does but I haven't a clue what the command prompts are.
2-Adb would be used more if devs outlined specifically what needs to be typed in, instead of searching countless threads to figure it out.
3-I would think we were all noobs at one time, but let's not discredit noobs for being lazy. Like others, I've bought over $30 of applications requiring ROOT from the market. Noobs more likely contribute over 3 million dollars annually to the rooted community.

Sent from Verizon running Thunderbolt rooted Das BAMF Remix 1.5

rudydroid

Reaction score
yeah, i don't think so.
15 years ago I took an environmental politics class at uc davis where we were required to put all of our research online. we were the first class to use a new linux lab.
there were no html editors so abundant today. we built web pages by hand, as it was called. every tag was opened, every tag closed. we put in text and images and links. building a table with information was tough.
saying people should learn adb or whatever would be as if if us old farts said today's web builders should have to build the way we did back then.
I don't think so.
gonna use a daisy wheel printer? gonna use 5.25X5.25 inch floppies?
want an analog phone? how bout a black and white tv?
frankly if someone doesn't want the unwashed masses to use your invention or software, just say so, or make it available only to those who pass a test or to those who have to write the code to install it.
cool by me. i'm just saying, i like easy and if I brick it or put it under a tire, i'm cool with it.
then again, i'm nobody.

running liberty gingerbread v0.3, slightly oc'd

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think people make out adb to be some archaic machine language. It really is simple to use. Think of it as an app that can get you out of a jam when no other app can.

Immolate

Reaction score
My Thunderbolt arrived via FedEx yesterday and by last night I was busily trying to root it. I used the HTC sync program to install the drivers for me, then used the download from ADB for Dummies to put ADB in place. I set the environmental variable using the offered method as well.

I got to step 4, encountering only one problem along the way. After I established temporary root and typed "ADB Shell", the "#" prompt came up, but it was only there for a few seconds before it went back to the ">" prompt. I tried this numerous times, but there was no way I could type that whole command in before the "#" prompt went away.

Finally, I did a copy/paste and was able to do that just fast enough to get the command in. After I executed the command, the "#" prompt stayed. Odd.

What stopped me for the night was the need to copy the large (500MB) flash file to the SD Card. Every time I tried to access the "F" drive, which is the phone, the computer would slow to a crawl. I considered the problem might be because the phone was set to "charge only" mode, so I changed it to "disk drive" but it didn't help. Sometimes I could get the "F" drive to come up, but even then it showed different files than were on sdflash card, with very little room for any additional files. Therefore, I assume I was looking at something else entirely mapped to "F".

I never had to wrestle with accessing the sdflash card on the droids. That was pretty plug and play. I'm assuming that I'm missing something here so I'd appreciate any guidance.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
immolate what step are you on.