1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

LCD screen went black this morning.

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by Droid3Guy, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Droid3Guy

Droid3Guy New Member

Just out of the blue, my screen went black this morning. If you shine a strong light on the screen you can just barely see some things on it. Otherwise it is unusable now. Anyway, do I need to replace the LCD screen or are there some other thing I need to check first? I've had the phone for almost 2 years. No Insurance. Thanks for any help concerning this.
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You could be suffering from any number of possible causes. First thing I would do is boot into safe mode.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69361

If the screen is still black in this mode, I would call it a complete hardware failure. The backlight could have failed, or it could be a supporting chip, the connector or ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard could have either become partially disconnected or torn, a supporting chip that drives the screen could have failed, a power supply that powers the screen's backlight could have failed...etc.
  3. Droid3Guy

Droid3Guy New Member

I was afraid of that answer. lol Thanks though. I was thinking along those lines actually. So many possibilities. I was actually going to sell this phone in just a few weeks when my contract is up. I guess if I still decide to sell it, the price just went down significantly. Thanks again for the answer.