Replaced cracked screen and LCD, now phone is having MAJOR problems.

esenbee2

Reaction score
I cracked the glass digitizer on my phone. I have insurance, but didn't want to pay for the $100 deductible, so I opted to replace it myself for $50. Trying to separate the glass from the LCD, I must have shattered the LCD screen in a similar place where the glass digitizer was broke, because after I put the phone back together, the phone would light up and I could hear it turn on, but there was illuminated lines in the screen and the screen stayed black. So, I ordered a new LCD screen, another $50. (Would have been better off just paying the deductible.) I replaced the LCD screen, put the phone back together. It turned on, seemed to work. The next day when I activated the phone again (had to go to the Verizon store to get a new 4G card because the one before was now "burned", grr), the phone was acting up, SEVERELY. When touching the screen, it will flash with blue stripped lines and fade out. This is randomly. Sometimes I can get through half or even sometimes all of my task before it does this. Other times, the first touch of the screen will set it off. And other times, I don't have to touch the screen at all and it will just fade out. It seems as though I can get through whole text message typing just fine though. But trying to make phone calls from the dialpad or call history list is the worst and I ended up having to turn the screen on 10 or so times in order to complete making a phone call. Also, when trying to answer a call, the screen will fade and I will not be able to turn the screen back on without missing the call. Using the internet is hit or miss.

So, my question is, what is wrong with my phone. Repairs Universe said this is a connection issue. I have disassembled the phone twice to reconnect the flex ribbons, first time, the LCD flex ribbon at the connection was a little sticky, cleaned it off. The phone seemed to work okay, but when I came back to it an hour later, the same problems. The second time, I reconnected the flex ribbons and added adhesive between the digitizer and LCD screen. The phone seemed to work okay, but after a while (15 minutes), it began the same problems.

The first time I disassembled the phone when I replaced the glass digitizer, the video was not clear on how to disconnect the flex ribbons. In pulling the LCD flex ribbon out, the top of the jawbone connector broke off and what was left was the metal pins exposed. The LCD flex ribbon is able to pulled out easily without lifting the clamp. But when I disassembled the phone twice to check the connections, the LCD flex ribbon was always fully inserted. Is this what is causing my screen to go crazy? Can the jawbone connector be replaced by me? Or will I have to put a claim into my insurance, saying my phone was "lost/stolen" and pay the $100 deductible, making me out a total of $200 to have a working phone again?

indee2025

Reaction score
Good lord, pay the deductable....also be glad the lesson learned cost $100 instead of full price for the device...you sir are no MacGyver.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good lord, pay the deductable....also be glad the lesson learned cost $100 instead of full price for the device...you sir are no MacGyver.

I agree.. I'm all for self repair but I'd never even think about operating on my phone when a quick $100 gets me a new one.

Sent from my Paranoid Android Galaxy Nexus

OP
E

esenbee2

Reaction score
You both should be grateful you have the funds to pay a "quick" $100. There are many that it would be a struggle to come up with an extra $100, which is why I opted for the cheaper $50 repair option to begin with. Show some consideration. You don't know what kind of financial situation someone is in that would require them to make a thoughtful and concious choice on what to spend money on that week.

indee2025

Reaction score
You both should be grateful you have the funds to pay a "quick" $100. There are many that it would be a struggle to come up with an extra $100, which is why I opted for the cheaper $50 repair option to begin with. Show some consideration. You don't know what kind of financial situation someone is in that would require them to make a thoughtful and concious choice on what to spend money on that week.
Even though I don't see anything malicious about the other post, I'll just speak for myself, I don't mean anything negative by my response to your dilemma but instead look at it as a reaction to a fix-it-yourself gone about as wrong as it could go, while unfortunate, it would have served you better to take the phone in and pay the $100 and budget where you can-although I'm not a rich man myself, if I couldn't afford to fix my device on an insurance plan I purchased I wouldn't own an expensive smartphone (that last statement also not malicious, I simply mean we are restricted by our budgets) Hope you get your device fixed.