launcherpro help

lonzorizo

Reaction score
So I'm using launcherpro with ud1...and I'm gettin an available update from the market for launcherpro but the intallation is unsuccesfull. Since launcherpro is already installed thru ud1 does that mean I can't update it anymore? I tried unistalling launcherpro but it wnt allow me to. Anyone else having similar problems?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am in your boat. However, I am using ADW so it doesnt effect me. So, even though I don't "feel" your issue, I thought it pertinent to note that I do have the same issue with LP. Tried it on my phone and my wife's.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try backing up LP in its preferences menu, then use Titanium to uninstall, then reinstall from market, restore backup

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So I'm using launcherpro with ud1...and I'm gettin an available update from the market for launcherpro but the intallation is unsuccesfull. Since launcherpro is already installed thru ud1 does that mean I can't update it anymore? I tried unistalling launcherpro but it wnt allow me to. Anyone else having similar problems?

Same here! The market said that the package wasn't signed correctly! Awesome!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know it doesn't work but let me ask you this.... does the LP you have from UD do what you want it to? If it does, while not being able to update may suck, it doesn't really matter.
blackdroid probably changed some elements of it and now the "real" market version doesn't recognize it as original and won't update it. So, you have 4 options here. 1) install ADW. 2)wait for BD to update it himself. 3) leave it be and 4) i don't remember.

If you want it, clear the cache from your vending.apk (the market), delete the LP apk, reboot, use another launcher and make sure LP is completely gone. Then, try to download LP.

bigmike35

Reaction score
if anything u need to push lp back to /data section n download to upgrade and from there either push back to /system or keep in /data to receive further updates

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For any app that is included as part of the rom, updates from the market generally won’t install. This is because they are in system/app, and are designated as read only (unless, like some roms, there is a mechanism that allows system apps to be moved to data to allow for updates). If you really want the updated app, and don’t want to wait for an update to the rom, you can accomplish it in one of three ways.

the easiest way is thru root explorer. go into system/app, and then click the "mount r/w" button (to change the system files from read only to read/write). then find the app, long press on it, and then hit "delete". then push the "mount ro" button to change back to read only, exit out of root explorer and then reboot (this is important to get the change in system apps to "take.") when you boot back up, you should be able to install the app from the mkt, with the update.

the second avenue is thru Terminal Emulator. type in:

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/[name of app].apk
sysro
reboot

again, it's necessary to actually type in "reboot" and enter, to get the change to take.

finally, you can go into the rom zip file, manually delete/remove the app, and then reflash the newly configured rom zip file w/o the system app. then you should be able to dl the updated app from the market.

bigmike35

Reaction score
For any app that is included as part of the rom, updates from the market generally won’t install. This is because they are in system/app, and are designated as read only (unless, like some roms, there is a mechanism that allows system apps to be moved to data to allow for updates). If you really want the updated app, and don’t want to wait for an update to the rom, you can accomplish it in one of three ways.

the easiest way is thru root explorer. go into system/app, and then click the "mount r/w" button (to change the system files from read only to read/write). then find the app, long press on it, and then hit "delete". then push the "mount ro" button to change back to read only, exit out of root explorer and then reboot (this is important to get the change in system apps to "take.") when you boot back up, you should be able to install the app from the mkt, with the update.

the second avenue is thru Terminal Emulator. type in:

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/[name of app].apk
sysro
reboot

again, it's necessary to actually type in "reboot" and enter, to get the change to take.

finally, you can go into the rom zip file, manually delete/remove the app, and then reflash the newly configured rom zip file w/o the system app. then you should be able to dl the updated app from the market.

better explanation lol and more detail =]

alonsou

Reaction score
the easiest way is thru root explorer. go into system/app, and then click the "mount r/w" button (to change the system files from read only to read/write). then find the app, long press on it, and then hit "delete". then push the "mount ro" button to change back to read only, exit out of root explorer and then reboot (this is important to get the change in system apps to "take.") when you boot back up, you should be able to install the app from the mkt, with the update

This worked for me perfectly a few weeks ago, I still remember your advice, thanks husker....

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. Use Titanium/Settings/Root Explorer to delete the launcherpro.apk
2. Go into /data/dalvik cache/somelongfilenamewithLAUNCHERPROinit (use your search softkey to search launcher to find it)
3. Delete that file
4. Reboot
5. Reinstal

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's a pretty common issue - i have the schpeel saved on my pc, and i just copy and paste... ;)

ZBoater

Reaction score
I had the same problem, but deleting LauncherPro.apk sent my phone into an endless boot animation. It appears LauncherPro was the ONLY launcher I had, so deleting it made my phone go nutz. Doh!

Restored Nandroid backup (hurray!), installed Launcher+ beta free from market, made it the default, and then deleted LauncherPro.apk with root explorer. Rebooted, no endless loop! Reinstalled LauncherPro from Market and all is well.

jbrock98

Reaction score
Is there any big changes 2 launcherpro? B/c if not I don't see no reason 2 update

Sent from my Droid

dmzxls

Reaction score
Something else you can do to upgrade/update (which Is what I did to install Benny's themed version of Launcher Pro) is go into the UD setting menu to quick commands and enable 'God Mode.'

With God Mode enabled, open your file explorer program and navigate to /system/apps and delete Launcher Pro. After that, navigate to the Launcher Pro .apk file you have saved on your phone. Naturally this can work with other programs as well should you wish to update or simply remove them (for instance, I removed the default mms app since I use handcent.)

This is similar to the previously mentioned "mount r/w" method discussed, however it is usable with any file explorer and uses the features BD so kindly included in his rom for us.

ZBoater

Reaction score
Is there any big changes 2 launcherpro? B/c if not I don't see no reason 2 update

Sent from my Droid

Not unless you use LP Facebook widgets. Those got hosed in 8.0 and 8.1 fixes them. Otherwise you are good to go.

I prefer to have up-datable apps out of /system so I can update them at will.