LauncherPro can read Gmail and SMS. Is this safe?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by virtueoftheabsurd, Aug 2, 2010.

1. virtueoftheabsurd

virtueoftheabsurd New Member

I understand that it needs access for the numerical notifications ("1 new email," "2 new texts," etc). But does this creep anyone else out? I can't be the only person who has sensitive information in my email...bank statements, account information, etc.

The dev seems like a nice guy and very much a non_felon, but I can't help but wonder if a minor bug in his software could be a privacy disaster.

Thoughts? I love LauncherPro, but I'm back to ADW_ in the meantime.
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

How do you know he's a non-felon? (just curious)
  3. Ae0187

Ae0187 New Member

doesn't bother me.. I Love launcherpro
  4. virtueoftheabsurd

The verb in that clause was seems. I really have no idea :p
  5. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Doesn't bother me at all. I love Launcher Pro.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Probably you are taking the word "read" out of context.

If I had an app that could read your emails Im sure I wouldnt let you know about it.
  7. virtueoftheabsurd

You would have to, thanks to Android security. I'm sure you know that apps that you install through the market have "permissions." These aren't just arbitrary things that the dev decides to flag, they actually control how the application is allowed to interact with your phone.
  8. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Ok didnt know that it wasnt controlled by the dev, but all the same I think it was taken out of context.

go to www.launcherpro.com and ask him specifically.
  9. richpjr

richpjr New Member

If you are worried about stuff like that, you shouldn't be using ANY email programs.
  10. mowzie

mowzie New Member

to answer the question, it has access to your e-mails and SMS for a feature that gives a count of your read/unread messages on the screen.
  11. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

I'm not sure if you guys know but LauncherPro has a feature to put notification icons on your gmail icons to show how many unread messages you have. I have a good feeling that it's used to check whether or not you have read mail so it can display the notification.
  12. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

That is my opinion as well.

Some people have that tin foil hat way to tight!
  13. virtueoftheabsurd

I acknowledged that in my OP. I don't want to sound snarky, but I assumed that responders would read at least the first sentence of my post:
    I know exactly what the permission is intended for, I am more worried about what it could be used for. And labeling me paranoid really isn't warranted.

I don't think that being worried about email security is enough to gain the label "paranoid." Maybe "reasonable?"
  14. Skull One

Skull One New Member

You concern is actually very justified. But "the answer" is less than helpful.

Lets look at the facts first:

1) Google provided an OS that works on a permission based structure.

2) Google provided a Market place that doesn't require a review board (I.E. humans).

3) Google, before installing an application, lists the most harmful permissions in a nice bold orange.

Which means if the Application lists "Your Messages: read Gmail, read SMS or MMS" along with "Network communication: full internet access" then yes it can read and send every email, SMS and MMS you receive to another computer and there is nothing you can do to stop without either A) Uninstalling the application, or B) Rooting your phone and properly setting up a firewall.

As you can see, there is no ambiguity here. The facts are simply that; facts. You can't argue them, you can deny them, you can't talk your way out of them.

And this is leaves us with the only answer that is reasonable:

"Do you want to accept the risk that your data could be collected by someone you do not know"?

I told you the answer wasn't going to be very helpful. But the facts can at least make you aware of the consequences of your choice.
  15. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

Well it did sound snarky, I absolutely hate snarky comments...

Although the disclaimer says it can read e-mail I don't think it actually reads the data, just whether or not there is new mail. Ask the dev himself and if you still don't trust him perhaps you should learn how to code/understand Java and look at the code yourself. Better yet make your own apps just to be extra sure.:blink:
  16. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Ok, without it getting out of hand, the OP made a reasonable assumption that everyone should be doing when installing an app.

You can be as paranoid as you desire, however after the likely description of the function is given, and most likely on target, anything else it could be used for is up to anyones imagination/ devs execution.

It then becomes a matter what Skull one outlined. If you still have worries, then don't run that app.

Most dev's in the vein of launcherpro and ADW are not going to be doing anything devious, with the huge following these two apps have, anything happening out of the ordinary would be found out very quickly.

That's my .02 ...
  17. Skull One

Skull One New Member

Your answer is snarkier than anything the original OP has typed so far. And with that out of the way.

You are making a "hopeful" "best situation" "assumption". And if I was a dev and you asked me "Are you stealing my data", do you really think I am going to say "Why yes I am!" when I am actually trying to steal your data?

The OP is very correct to be concerned. The very fact that you are not is why one day your data will be in someone else's hands.
  18. Detonation

Detonation New Member

What's up with the attitude? The OP asked a legit question regarding privacy and both your responses have been rude and unhelpful. None of the OPs comments were criticizing of Launcher Pro or the Dev, he just raised a concern that the program has access to your private information.

While its more than likely the dev has no malicious intentions, it doesn't mean someone else out there doesn't. As the OP said, one small bug in the program and someone else could exploit it and now have access to that same data...and they won't just use it to read a count.

Back on topic though, this is the kind of risk you have to be willing to take if you want to use third party apps. Fortunately, as RW-1 mentioned, most of the popular apps out there have a big enough user base that anything devious would have likely been caught had it existed.
  19. Larry Mahnken

Larry Mahnken New Member

Is it safe?

[​IMG]
Search tags for this page
go sms pro is it safe
go sms pro safe
go sms pro safe to use
how safe is go sms pro
is go sms pro a safe app

is go sms pro safe

is go sms pro safe to use