LauncherPro can read Gmail and SMS. Is this safe?

Reaction score
I understand that it needs access for the numerical notifications ("1 new email," "2 new texts," etc). But does this creep anyone else out? I can't be the only person who has sensitive information in my email...bank statements, account information, etc.

The dev seems like a nice guy and very much a non_felon, but I can't help but wonder if a minor bug in his software could be a privacy disaster.

Thoughts? I love LauncherPro, but I'm back to ADW_ in the meantime.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
How do you know he's a non-felon? (just curious)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all. I love Launcher Pro.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Probably you are taking the word "read" out of context.

If I had an app that could read your emails Im sure I wouldnt let you know about it.

OP
V
Reaction score

If I had an app that could read your emails Im sure I wouldnt let you know about it.

You would have to, thanks to Android security. I'm sure you know that apps that you install through the market have "permissions." These aren't just arbitrary things that the dev decides to flag, they actually control how the application is allowed to interact with your phone.

bamfsig45

Reaction score

You would have to, thanks to Android security. I'm sure you know that apps that you install through the market have "permissions." These aren't just arbitrary things that the dev decides to flag, they actually control how the application is allowed to interact with your phone.

Ok didnt know that it wasnt controlled by the dev, but all the same I think it was taken out of context.

go to www.launcherpro.com and ask him specifically.

richpjr

Reaction score
If you are worried about stuff like that, you shouldn't be using ANY email programs.

mowzie

Reaction score
to answer the question, it has access to your e-mails and SMS for a feature that gives a count of your read/unread messages on the screen.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you guys know but LauncherPro has a feature to put notification icons on your gmail icons to show how many unread messages you have. I have a good feeling that it's used to check whether or not you have read mail so it can display the notification.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you guys know but LauncherPro has a feature to put notification icons on your gmail icons to show how many unread messages you have. I have a good feeling that it's used to check whether or not you have read mail so it can display the notification.

That is my opinion as well.

Some people have that tin foil hat way to tight!

OP
V
Reaction score
I acknowledged that in my OP. I don't want to sound snarky, but I assumed that responders would read at least the first sentence of my post:
I understand that it needs access for the numerical notifications ("1 new email," "2 new texts," etc).

I know exactly what the permission is intended for, I am more worried about what it could be used for. And labeling me paranoid really isn't warranted.

I don't think that being worried about email security is enough to gain the label "paranoid." Maybe "reasonable?"

Skull One

Reaction score
I understand that it needs access for the numerical notifications ("1 new email," "2 new texts," etc). But does this creep anyone else out? I can't be the only person who has sensitive information in my email...bank statements, account information, etc.

The dev seems like a nice guy and very much a non_felon, but I can't help but wonder if a minor bug in his software could be a privacy disaster.

Thoughts? I love LauncherPro, but I'm back to ADW_ in the meantime.

You concern is actually very justified. But "the answer" is less than helpful.

Lets look at the facts first:

1) Google provided an OS that works on a permission based structure.

2) Google provided a Market place that doesn't require a review board (I.E. humans).

3) Google, before installing an application, lists the most harmful permissions in a nice bold orange.

Which means if the Application lists "Your Messages: read Gmail, read SMS or MMS" along with "Network communication: full internet access" then yes it can read and send every email, SMS and MMS you receive to another computer and there is nothing you can do to stop without either A) Uninstalling the application, or B) Rooting your phone and properly setting up a firewall.

As you can see, there is no ambiguity here. The facts are simply that; facts. You can't argue them, you can deny them, you can't talk your way out of them.

And this is leaves us with the only answer that is reasonable:

"Do you want to accept the risk that your data could be collected by someone you do not know"?

I told you the answer wasn't going to be very helpful. But the facts can at least make you aware of the consequences of your choice.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I acknowledged that in my OP. I don't want to sound snarky, but I assumed that responders would read at least the first sentence of my post:
I understand that it needs access for the numerical notifications ("1 new email," "2 new texts," etc).

I know exactly what the permission is intended for, I am more worried about what it could be used for. And labeling me paranoid really isn't warranted.

I don't think that being worried about email security is enough to gain the label "paranoid." Maybe "reasonable?"
Well it did sound snarky, I absolutely hate snarky comments...

Although the disclaimer says it can read e-mail I don't think it actually reads the data, just whether or not there is new mail. Ask the dev himself and if you still don't trust him perhaps you should learn how to code/understand Java and look at the code yourself. Better yet make your own apps just to be extra sure.:blink: