Launcher ? Gmail or Mail ? Calendar ? Active Applications ?

jorger81

Reaction score
I figure that I will combine all of my questions into one. It has been less than 24 hours with my DInc2 which was a replacement from VZW for the Samsung Frustrate, so please be nice. I am still trying to figure out best way to run everything to save on battery and get around the different places of the options/settings. Heres my questions.

1. I hate the Sense UI and tried to use the GO Launcher which I loved on the Samsung. Less than two hours after installing and trying to set up, had to a factory reset cause of the all error messages. It actually pretty much bricked my phone. So what do you use as a launcher that works ?

2. I have my Gmail and Google accounts both set up on the phone. I get two email notifications, one through Gmail and the other through HTC mail application. Which do we all agree is a better app ? I like the layout of the HTC app but dont want to undo one of the accounts and lose them both.

3. Samsung had a beautiful calendar, DInc2, not so much. Calendar Apps anyone ??

4. On my Samsung I used to long press on the home screen and access Ram info, Active Applications, etc. I do not want a task killer, however I loved knowing that if I accidentally left the internet on I could go shut it off. Does the DInc 2 have something similar and how do I access it ?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
1. Try launcher pro. I ran the plus version on my Droid but I like the sense ui.

2. Turn off the notifications for one of the email apps. You will only get one notification then.

3. Jorte is a good calendar app.

4. Android manages apps for you. There is no need to "turn an app off". The OS allows so much memory for recent apps in case you open them again. It speeds up the process for opening the app again. When the phone detects that you need more memory, it will shed apps that haven't been recently used. Example: I play angry birds a lot. When I get a text I can hit home, read/reply to the message, tap on angry birds and the game is paused. If I go to another app, say Droid forums, angry birds is stopped and I will have to go through the full app start up. It's all automatic. The Dinc2 has a lot of free memory so you shouldn't run in lag issues very often. Occasionally I go to menu>applications>running services and I stop things like phandroid which stays running in the background for quick loading of new stories. Short of the long is that android will kill apps for you.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
J

jorger81

Reaction score
Running LauncherPro now, its much smoother than it was on the Samsung. Question though, I have the auto sync turned off yet the phone is still retrieving emails...how do i turn this off and is it killing my battery?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I have mine set to manual and my mail still gets pushed when it comes in. To stop getting the emails you will probably have to delete the account, but I'm sure you don't want that to have to do that. Before the OTA update it was truly killing my battery. HTC apparently fixed this because now I get all day from my battery, and I am a heavy user of apps/games and email. I am at home most days with my kids so gaming keeps me way from having to watch Nick Jr lol. Now after the update I don't have battery issues any more. I would say set it up for manual update and you should be ok.

OP
J

jorger81

Reaction score
Jorte is GREAT so far, really enjoying seeing everything listed on there. I can't figure out the why the email still pushes though. After some kind of update Friday night when I thought I bricked the phone and gave it a full day charge, it seems to be much better on battery also.