Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
if i do the factory reset, will that revert me back to 2.0.1 or back to 2.1 (i have 2.1 now) the reason i ask this question is I have never been able to get into safe mode. then i thought, ok.. so maybe i will root it and move over to the blackdroid but when i attempted to revert back to 2.0.1 it wouldn't allow me to do that either.
kind of frustrated, and stuck with the 2.1.

Factory reset only brings you back to 2.1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

fgw

Reaction score
Am I safe to run live wallpaper after reset?

The day after installing 2.1 I had to do a reset on my phone because it went into a force close loop. I could not even boot into Safe Mode. All my apps were restored. I thought that my problem was related to a combination of running a live wallpaper while making changes to Helix. I deleted and then re-installed Helix because I love it. Since the reset, I have had no problems with the phone or with Helix.

Am I safe to run Live Wallpapers? It sounds as if what I experienced was not unusual but I am pretty hesitant now - don't really want to have to do a hard reset again.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Am I safe to run Live Wallpapers? It sounds as if what I experienced was not unusual but I am pretty hesitant now - don't really want to have to do a hard reset again.

I've been running live wallpapers since right after I got the update and before doing the reset with no issue (except a little bit of unnecessary battery drain...ha!), including ones that I downloaded from the market. You should be good!

GotnFX

Reaction score

I've been running live wallpapers since right after I got the update and before doing the reset with no issue (except a little bit of unnecessary battery drain...ha!), including ones that I downloaded from the market. You should be good!

So I am not imagining that my battery isn't lasting as long before the 2.1 ota...why would VZW say 2.1 has enhanced the battery drain or however they worded it but yet have the battery drain issues with live wallpapers?

GotnFX

Reaction score

So I am not imagining that my battery isn't lasting as long before the 2.1 ota...why would VZW say 2.1 has enhanced the battery drain or however they worded it but yet have the battery drain issues with live wallpapers?

Edit: also wanted to add I did a lot of web surfing before the update where my battery would last almost 6x longer..now I surf for 10 minutes and my battery reading drops by 10%

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Live wallpapers are going to use a certain amount battery, ram, etc. especially the ones that react to touch or movement.

However, they shouldn't be using a LOT. There's not really a GREAT way to tell either, because battery use percentages viewable through settings and shine battery apps don't give the clearest picture of the issues...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I've been running live wallpapers since right after I got the update and before doing the reset with no issue (except a little bit of unnecessary batt

gotnfx im getting great battery
life on 2.1 w/ live wallpapers and all.

Actually 2.1 is a noticable improvement in battery life compared to 2.0.1.

Im very pleased with 2.1

GotnFX

Reaction score
Thanks for the response JK and CK..would you recommend a factory reset?
Here I am after 2 hrs of being unplugged and my battery says 60%. I know JK said don't take the number as is...but from my last post till now that is a 30% drop...just using the numbers as a reference point..I have helix launcher as my default home...but again over than that I have the same apps before the download..suggestions?
Edit: also want to add that all I have been doing in the last two hours is surfing the forum...no phone calls or games..I don't think after 2 hours a 40% drop is normal..

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for the response JK and CK..would you recommend a factory reset?

Here I am after 2 hrs of being unplugged and my battery says 60%. I know JK said don't take the number as is...but from my last post till now that is a 30% drop...just using the numbers as a reference point..I have helix launcher as my default home...but again over than that I have the same apps before the download..suggestions?

The percentages I was referring to ate battery use percents. Ie, browser-14%, live wallpapers-4%. You can view these by going to settings, about phone, battery use. These aren't the best idea of what kills your battery, because they're based off how much of the battery that has been used since being unplugged. However, they can give you a rough idea of what's using the majority of your power.

Anyway, if you skim the quote I added to the original post, customer service is actually advising people to do a factory reset when having issues because if how the update installed

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The more you use the phone, the more battery will be used, obviously. The more "battery-intensive" apps you use, the quicker it will drain. If you're browsing the internet or talking on the phone for the majority of those two hours, your battery will take a serious hit.

However, live wallpapers are WAY less of a battery issue, unless you're using an interactive one and just sorting there playing with it...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
GotnFx that is some serious battery drain. If you are surfing and not getting 3G most of the time that will suck a lot of juice.

Also leaving wi-fi and/or gps on could be causing the drain.

So you have to do some trouble shooting right now.

Make sure your gps and wi-fi are off and pay attention to your signal. If it is bouncing around from 3G to 1X where you're at that will cause the issue you are experiencing especially while surfing.

GotnFX

Reaction score
GotnFx that is some serious battery drain. If you are surfing and not getting 3G most of the time that will suck a lot of juice.

Make sure your gps and wi-fi are off and pay attention to your signal. If it is bouncing around from 3G to 1X where you're at that will cause the issue you are experiencing especially while surfing.

That is what I thought..no wifi..no GPS..my battery status says display 57%..normal...browser 27%..normal...than android system@ 7%..this something I never noticed before..android OS was @ the bottom @3%...sounds like I may have to do a factory reset..full or modified reset? What do you guys think?

GotnFX

Reaction score

Also I do get a tendency of bouncing from 3G to 1x...however I have always that around the house.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Couldn't hurt to do a reset. All you've really got to lose is your current app and homescreen setup. It's a little bit of a hassle, but well worth it if it fixes your issue.