Known Issues with 2.1 Update that a Factory Rest fixes

pequannock

Reaction score
Picasa Web Albums now synced

Just wanted to report that I experienced the issue with Picasa web albums not appearing in my gallery after the 2.1 OTA update, and no option to turn on sync in the "accounts & sync" settings. Tried powering off and on a few times and playing with the settings in my Google account, all to no avail. Then I decided to take the plunge and do a factory reset / cache partition wipe using the "more involved" method outlined above, and I am happy to report that this issue is now resolved. Kewl!

Thanks for all the help on this forum!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Running live wallpapers. Tbh, I think any lag I notice at all is because of helix launcher. Seems like when I go to stock home (granted, there's nothing on it) the screens switch faster and such...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kamileon

Reaction score
My only issue was with google earth. When I launched it I got two errors, one saying the sd card was not accessible and the other saying it couldnt connect to the network. So last night I looked in the market and it wasnt listed, however this morning I received a notice saying there was an update in the market. Turned to be an update for google earth, now it works flawlessly. Anyone else get the update?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
After reading all these problem threads and experiencing the same issues I decided to bite the bullet and go with the latter method (I prefer the console action). I even cleared the cache before and after to be safe.

I have to say, the phone feels a LOT snappier in general after reinstalling all the apps. It also got rid of an issue I had with an app which was uninstalled yet still asking to be updated.

The process of reinstalling was incredibly painless, so go for it if you have issues.

Glad it worked for you and you didn't find setting everything back up too cumbersome!

Just wanted to report that I experienced the issue with Picasa web albums not appearing in my gallery after the 2.1 OTA update, and no option to turn on sync in the "accounts & sync" settings. Tried powering off and on a few times and playing with the settings in my Google account, all to no avail. Then I decided to take the plunge and do a factory reset / cache partition wipe using the "more involved" method outlined above, and I am happy to report that this issue is now resolved. Kewl!

My pleasure! I found myself following at least 2-3 threads on some of these issues (even ones I wasn't personally having) and I figured it might not be a bad idea to get a running list going so people with issues could check here first to see if there's a relatively simple fix for their problem!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My only issue was with google earth. When I launched it I got two errors, one saying the sd card was not accessible and the other saying it couldnt connect to the network. So last night I looked in the market and it wasnt listed, however this morning I received a notice saying there was an update in the market. Turned to be an update for google earth, now it works flawlessly. Anyone else get the update?

I'm guessing that Google fixed whatever issue that caused it to not show up in the market, because a lot of people who NEVER saw it in the market after updating are reporting today that they can see it now. Strange problem, but I'm glad to hear it's not happening to you anymore!

celphtitled

Reaction score

ok i think i will plunge and do a factory reset. is there a difference between the easy factory reset or the "more involved" way.

how do i cache partition wipe?

anyone?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wiping cache partition is part of the more involved way. I've got directions for you in the op!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Dave, my pleasure! Hoped it would help clear up some basic issues! Honored to have this stickied!

2001400ex

Reaction score
You mention using a website to backup apps. Is there any advantage in that compared to using Astro?

I am thinking of doing this just because. I rooted, unrooted, then installed stock 2.1 via OTA. I use my phone a LOT, so it is a little slow and some apps crash more than they should. When I used a Windows machine a lot, I would reformat every 6 months or so. I am goofy that way. LOL

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You mention using a website to backup apps. Is there any advantage in that compared to using Astro?

Basically, what the appbrain app does is search the market for you. You can get on the site, search using the computer, select the apps to install, then launch their app on the phone.

How I installed was, it will bring up the market with the first app on your list, I clicked to download it, then when I pressed back, the next one showed up.

The advantage its that it's quicker to search via the computer and you'll get your app updates because it uses the market. Not all backup apps registeryour installed apps with the market for updates.

khelek

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread as I'd planned on posting my results with a factory reset....

While I don't think I had any of the original issues mentioned in the OP (Google(tm) Earth was one of the first apps I downloaded after I manually updated to 2.1 and had no problems), I've never been happy with the general performance. I was constantly trying to reboot to phone to fix issues, did a battery pull and, after a particular laggy day on Tuesday I got fed up enough that I decided to do a factory reset.

Just wanted to report that after the reset, things have been much better! The phone seems at least as fast as before, if not a little bit better, my apps are working as they should and overall I'm having a much happier outlook to the update than I did before.

It was a little bit of work, but well worth it if you're not happy with the update. I will also say that if you haven't done a reset and want to do one, use AppBrain before and after. That will make your life much easier!

MrMan

Reaction score
if i do the factory reset, will that revert me back to 2.0.1 or back to 2.1 (i have 2.1 now) the reason i ask this question is I have never been able to get into safe mode. then i thought, ok.. so maybe i will root it and move over to the blackdroid but when i attempted to revert back to 2.0.1 it wouldn't allow me to do that either.
kind of frustrated, and stuck with the 2.1.

dadamsx

Reaction score
I don't remember backing up my apps - but they all eventually re-installed themselves to my surprise.....:icon_ banana:...did I miss something?

Big Cam

Reaction score
I installed the OTA verizon update when verizon sent it to me and Google Earth showed up in the market today for me, I think it just takes a few days.