keyboards?

andrewb

Reaction score
is there anyway to change the keybord of the droid when the phone is up right so that it has the dial pad with letters on it while texting because i dont like the full keybored that much, thanks

liquidzoo

Reaction score
There is a T9-style keyboard available in the Market. It's called (EvenBetter) NumberPad Keyboard. It's $3.99, but it looks like it will do exactly what you want it to do.

OP
A

andrewb

Reaction score
ok sweet im going to look into that thanks

liquidzoo

Reaction score
You could also google the HTC IME keyboard (it is installable without root), install the 2 files (I used Astro) and follow the configuration instructions. One of the available keyboard layouts is called Phone Keypad. It also does what you want (a T9-Style layout), though it's a little more cluttered than the one I listed above.

It also has a "Compact QWERTY" style, that is very similar to the BlackBerry Pearl keyboard.

And it's free, so that's a plus.

Edit I got the keyboard from Droid Life and followed the instructions there to install/enable it.

Last edited:

liquidzoo

Reaction score
From what I've seen, Swype doesn't have the T9 style he was looking for, though.

westonc

Reaction score
Black Bolts Keyboard that just got released in the Android Market is also a good alternative. Very easy to use with automatic text replacement too. I produced the keyboard myself cause I just couldn't stand the hardware keyboard and the screen was just too small to type on with the fat thumbs that I have. After using it I can say that I now actually enjoy the phone. Prior to that typing anything to anyone was painful.