just got the phone yesterday. need help with apps/widgets

spujum

Reaction score
i just got this phone yesterday and i love it. i am looking for some good apps to change the look of the phone. ive seen where people made their main screen look completely different with different icons and stuff for different things and i was wondering what app did that. and im also looking for some good widgets!

i have handcents, pandora, shopsavvy, and some others. i just want to get the most out of this phone and im hoping you guys can help! thanks

mjs31

Reaction score
i just got this phone yesterday and i love it. i am looking for some good apps to change the look of the phone. ive seen where people made their main screen look completely different with different icons and stuff for different things and i was wondering what app did that. and im also looking for some good widgets!

i have handcents, pandora, shopsavvy, and some others. i just want to get the most out of this phone and im hoping you guys can help! thanks

To just put different icons on your screen, you go into your main app area (bottom) and long press on the app. You then can drag it anywhere you want on the screen and let go (this is not actually moving the app so don't worry about that). If you don't want an icon on the screen, long press on it and then you can drag it down to the bottom where it will turn red and let go. Realize you are not deleting your apps by doing this, just getting rid of the icons on your desktop. They can always be put back. As far as widgets etc...many apps come with a widget and many don't. Most of weather apps have one. When you install an app, you can then long press on your desktop, select widgets, and if it has one it will show up there.
You can make the droid exactly how you want it by holding icons and moving them around. Long pressing on the screen and selecting widgets, folders, shortcuts etc or even downloading something like GDE where you can get more screens and other things.

OP
S

spujum

Reaction score
i did a search and found alot of information. i am looking to get different themes and an overall different look to the main screen. someone told me about beautifulwidget but i cannot seem to find it or anything like it

wil318466

Reaction score
i did a search and found alot of information. i am looking to get different themes and an overall different look to the main screen. someone told me about beautifulwidget but i cannot seem to find it or anything like it

Oh. You are looking to change the "look" of your phone.

Beautiful widgets is a clock/weather/calendar app. You can download it from the market, I believe, but they did have to change it because they got a cease and desist order from HTC I believe. Can anyone help with what to search for in the market to download it?

Personally, I have GDE with 4 screens (the cube) and 2 application docks set so that I can scroll trough my apps on the bar.

Also, wallswitch changes my wallpaper every few hours. Mess around with those apps and you can easily customize the look of your phone.

-Wil

OP
S

spujum

Reaction score
i still cant seem to find the beautiful widget thing. is it a free app? and also im searching for new themes to also change the look of the phone but i cant find any that dont require me to be already running some other version of home. anything in particular i should be searching for?

acturbo

Reaction score
i still cant seem to find the beautiful widget thing. is it a free app? and also im searching for new themes to also change the look of the phone but i cant find any that dont require me to be already running some other version of home. anything in particular i should be searching for?

You wont find beautiful widgets in the market due to the fact that HTC has given them a cease and desist order as has been previously stated. It you want the same look you can downloand weather widget which has the same look as the beautiful widget home screen.

HMJB

Reaction score

Well theres home replacements that sort of change the way home screen works..

Home++ is top notch at the moment and free, it puts custom icons at the bottom of the screen and hides the top notification bar (theres a button to press to see notifications), gives the homescreen more of a clean look.

If you want to change the way your icon looks to fit your wallpaper or whatever, theres Better Cut which lets you use custom icons which you can download from anywhere to use on the phone. It isnt free though

BTW you get 24 hours to return a paid app to the market for a full refund.

I use Beautiful widgets (its not free) for the clock/weather on my main screen but they are off the market at the moment, but they will be back. Weather widget donate (not free) offers the Old beautiful widget style as a skin, its skinnable and you could probably find a skin for it you like.

OP
S

spujum

Reaction score
i am going to try home++ right now. i will let you know how it works out. does it just replace the default home or whatever is on it? do i need to change any settings for it to work properly?

OP
S

spujum

Reaction score
home++ looks real nice so far. does this slow my system down by running 2 versions of home at the same time or does it replace and automatically close the other default home?

HMJB

Reaction score
kind of, you must trash all your widgets up on the default home screens (all of them) and it wont run 2 copies.

Other than that, it just runs 1 home (whichever you picked to run)

skylog

Reaction score
i got a somewhat related question about all of the apps. from what i have read, 2.1 may be coming january 22. i just got my phone, but if i go through and add a bunch of apps and customize my phone, will all that be lost with the 2.1 update?

nitsuj

Reaction score
kind of, you must trash all your widgets up on the default home screens (all of them) and it wont run 2 copies.

Ok, now why wouldn't they tell you that in the Market? Seems like important info. I've been running Home++ and I had no idea I was supposed to do that. So do I need to uninstall Home++ then clear my home screen then reinstall Home++ or can I just open the default home screen and remove all the icons then open Home ++ back up?