Just got the Droid X, need a better keyboard and browser

jsoni413

Reaction score
Just got this phone, not planning on rooting the phone or anything. I have set it up pretty nicely, just need a few things.

Keyboard
Web Browser
Cool Weather widget on the home screen

Is there anything else I should get that is essential or useful?

Thanks.

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
i use the bigbuttons app for a keyboard ... it makes the keyboard buttons bigger ... beautiful widgets app is a great weather widget it has alot of skins and custom stuff

Come out of the light and into the DarkSlide !

timrock

Reaction score
you don't like swype?

For web browser I would choose dolphin hd

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lterry913

Reaction score
Ultra Keyboard is and awesome alternative...no root needed...yuo can customize both swype style or regular input keyboard ... has word shortcuts and has tool bar and arrow keys available...even has camera option so you can see where you are going while texting...to avoid fountains and such...LOL

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ultra has the ability to change the themes to in built or make your own. You can readily change the size of the keys, the layout, key functions , gestures, etc.
Dolphin HD has been the most bug free of all (I've tried several) aftermarket browsers for me.
If you are a big forum surfer, Tapatalk is a must have.
You might give Sense Style Weather Widget a try . I've got the Sense style clock with X weather theme.
If you don't plan on root but want a custom look, check out Launcher Pro,ADW Launcher or Go Launcher.
Desktop Visualizer lets you change the look of icons
Circle Launcher is another nice way to customize folders instead of going into your app drawer all the time or having a cluttered with shortcuts screen.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

OP
J

jsoni413

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. Do you guys think I should just root my device? And if I do root it, do I get most of the apps for free?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only one I mentioned that isn't free is Tapatalk

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. Do you guys think I should just root my device? And if I do root it, do I get most of the apps for free?

You don't have to root to install apps for free, it's just frowned upon. Developer's work hard. Rooting is not jailbreaking like the iPhone, you don't do it to get free stuff. You do it to gain "administrative rights". Click on the link in my signature to learn about rooting, it shows how to root. ApeX (in the DX Rom section) has a video that shows you what you get by installing it. And that is the rom that I am running. Check it out!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
For a keyboard I would suggest giving Smart Keyboard a try. There is a trial version that has an occasional nag screen. But if you like it you can purchase it.

Beautiful Widgets is one of the more popular weather widgets. You can also check out the Minimalist's Resource Thread link in my sig for a few more choices.

Web browser I hate to say it I have tried most of them but always go back to stock. I'm still waiting for a final, stable version of Fennec (Firefox mobile) though.

timrock

Reaction score
Don't mind me. I'm just trying out ultra keyboard and so far its great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk