Just Fine, Right out of the box ......

TimChgo9

Reaction score
One of the great things I discovered about the Droid is that it's just fine, right out of the box. When I get anew gadget, I tend to mess with it, to see what it is capable of. I must have downloaded and tried over 100 applications and games, and have kept about 35 or so of them. I tried a couple of the "home replacement" apps and Handcent, they interested me for about 10 seconds... I think the default home screens and the default messaging app work just fine. I didn't like the extra "layer" provided by these applications, and felt that they mostly got in the way, and tended to make my Droid act buggy. In the course of using Handcent, and Panda Home, I wound up doing five battery pulls in a week, so I gave up on using anything other than the default calender, messaging and home screens.

The one thing I won't do, is root it, simply because the risks outweigh the possible benefits. If my Droid goes kerflooey on me, especially because I screw up the rooting procedure, there's no way to replace it if Verizon says the warranty is voided by rooting it. I like the idea of rooting, giving one more minute control over the performance of the OS, but I don't think I need that much control right now.

So, yeah, for me, the Droid is fine right out of the box,

bigthinker

Reaction score
I must say that I agree with what you have said here Tim....KISS....Keep It Super Simple.....Even though the Droid is an amazing Machine.

reh523

Reaction score
I disagree a bit here. If you use for exchange you really have to use Touchdown.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It's a welcome change from WM ROMs. Essentially on WM if you wanted the phone to run well you needed to run a cooked ROM. While it wasn't hard and was great (they added a lot of functionality) it's GREAT to just be able to buy a phone and use it. And the app store makes it so easy to get added features.

:reddroid:Though for some reason I feel I will undoubtedly root it and use some custom ROMs or hacks at some point. Just something about being "stock" that just begs to be changed, lol.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
I agree its great out of the box but I like to customize... ALOT! Haha. I'm running Home++, handcent, etc... No problems with me at all.

Wagner