jabra vs. moto charger

budhisetiawan

Reaction score
What gives?

I got a micro jabra charger...2 actually since bought to BTs

The charger wont charge my droid...however my droid charger will charge my jabra...

I am guessing it is a power issue and i am not a engineer...but what i can tell they seem to have the same specs...

Jabra: 5.0v 180mA

Not home so cant give droid charger specs...but I looked and i know the volts were the same...that is what i thought had to be the same!

Thoughts?

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
The voltage needs to be the same to avoid damage, however the amperage needs to be more than the device uses to actually charge the phone. When you check your Droid's charger you'll find it supplies significantly more amps.

The Droid charger on the other hand would have no problem charging the Jabra.

People have also mentioned some erratic touch screen behavior when using chargers not specifically designed for their Droids.. This only occurs when the device is charging and does not appear to cause damage. It is most likely caused by poor shielding or grounding. Capacitive touch screens can be sensitive to those sort of things.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
The droid charger puts out 850ma, when plugged into a usb port it puts out 500 or less, and just that difference is huge, i can actually kill the battery while plugged into USB. Putting 180ma to it is pointless.

Edit: I wouldnt continue to plug the droid charger into the BT, you are sending like 5X the recommended power to the battery. Eventually that is gonna kill the battery/fry the BT.

Last edited:
OP
B

budhisetiawan

Reaction score
Thanks all...

HEM:

Think the BT said it turns off the charge once charged...does that change your opinion any? Not home so cant give you the model #.

Think its like a BT2070 or something...looks like a little black bug...lol

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Think the BT said it turns off the charge once charged...does that change your opinion any? Not home so cant give you the model #.

Think its like a BT2070 or something...looks like a little black bug...lol

No. The smaller charger does not have enough capacity to charge your Droid while it is on. It is so small compared the Droid's charger that I'm not even sure it would charge your phone if you turned the phone off and left it plugged in for days. Ok, that last is an exaggeration, but probably not by much.

Using the droid charger for the BT should be ok. The circuitry for cutting of the charging is usually located in the device, not the charger; otherwise even plugging them into a USB port would be bad.