It's drone hunting season.

Discussion in 'Drone Talk' started by pc747, Apr 17, 2017.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,763
    [​IMG]

If you are one who either have a phobia of drones or just looking to shoot one out of the sky just cuz, then you may want to read this.

It may be a crime to shoot down a drone, aka unmanned aircraft, because of the risks it could pose on the people below.

So what if you have a situation where a neighbor is buzzing your house, pet, or space?

In that situation you should call the authorities as federal regulation prevents flying over people or filming people without their consent.

I am actually curious to read your thoughts on wether shooting a drone flying over your propery is within your rights?

Source: It Is A Federal Crime To Shoot Down A Drone, Says FAA

#1 pc747, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Briankbl

Briankbl Active Member

Ratings:
    +97
    The air above the tree line on your property is open airspace. If someone wants to fly over this airspace, even if it is directly over someone's house, it's technically legal. You can't shoot a plane or helicopter for flying too low over your property, same applies for drones. Anyone decides to damage my drone while I'm lawfully flying, they're getting a nice lawsuit.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +6,790
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    As someone who has spent their adult life in the Aviation industry I am on the fence on this one. I know it's illegal to shoot an aircraft while in flight. Do drones fall under the definition of aircraft? I think current FAA regulations consider aircraft as manned vehicles, so I honestly don't know. If a drone buzzes my house now & again I don't mind. If one is hovering / flying over my tree line / property for too long without my permission I may feel it's violating my personal space and take some action. If a neighbors house is for sale I would reason it's taking video of the house for sale and no harm no foul. But just cruising my property for no good reason, I may pull an Elmor Fudd and start blasting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,763
    You both make very good points and it will be interesting to see how the laws evolve over time with drones.

Right now it's still new, yeah we have the hobbyist who flew RC back in the day, but we are talking about a different animal.

With drones getting cheaper it is a matter of time before it get in more hands, and that also mean more potential for issues stemming in the future. Whether it be the results of adolescent kids (you can sadly put many adults in this category) or someone looking to make a point by doing harm to people (which goes back to our public vs security thread), it is a matter of time.

Yeah there are many out there who will fly responsibly as well as teach their children to. Unfortunately it's going to be the "one idiot" that is going to force changes.

Hopefully they are minor as forcing people to register their drones should hopefully cut down on some of the shenanigans.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,074
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    After years of baseball I may or may not hit one if it's hover over my house or in my windows.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,256
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    Curious for clarification purposes; is the federal regulation that prohibits flying over people or filming people without their consent only apply to people on private property? Because in general, it is legal to take pictures or film anyone in public places (on the street, at a restaurant, park, grocery store, parking lot, etc).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,074
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I was wondering that too. We have drones flying over events all the time. No consent has ever been asked.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +6,790
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    I think the rules are different for private space versus public space. I might have to do some research when I have time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,763
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +6,790
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Thanks PC. I didn't read the whole thing yet, but did see that those rules are for non hobbyist drones / unmanned aircraft. Most folks here probably qualify as hobbyist drone / unmanned aircraft operators. Any idea if there is a set of FAA rules for those systems? Or do the same rules apply to both types?

• Like Like x 1
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,763
    Correction: Unless I missed something I did not see those actually addressed. Just left a grey area.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,763
    • Like Like x 2