Issues with FB app on my device.

enduser2941

Reaction score
Hi DF!
Long time no chat... So again, I have come you humbly with me head hung low to asked the DF Guru's some questions.

Ok so here goes, the not so easy question (I don't think), Lately I have been having a huge problem where FB want's to update the app, so I let it, well it want's to attempt to do it anyway but doesn't make it all the way.

It sucks down the file it needs to install, the app then says "Error, Insufficient storage available." I have tried this numerous times and the result is always the same. Same error at the same time during the install. Now, I have checked and in no place is my Device's storage full. In fact no drive, partition, what ever, that has less than 2.x GB space left, so I have to say that there may be a bug in the app.

Important note: My device is ROOTED, and while some may think that the ROOT is the cause of my problems, I assure you that this is not the problem, as the app was working fine while ROOTED until one of the later updates from FB and once that happened I started to get this error. I can not recall how many revs back this started though. I mean I suppose one of the latest FB releases could now be having an issue with the ROOT, but I don't see or understand how that could be.

A break down of said device(s):

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
Facebook app is the only app that I get this error when attempting to update or install, but since it has been uninstalled and I attempt to clear FB all together in hopes that there was something laying around where causing the error, but no such luck!
Storage: All drives, partitions, or what ever you want to call them, the main memory (where the OS installed), Internal SD, and External SD are all over 2GB free space.

I have tried everything I can think of to get it to install and still nothing ,same error. I have tried clearing the app cache, i have uninstalled FB all together and attempted to reinstall it. BAM! "No you don't!" it said!

At this point I am utterly confused.. So if anyone has any ideas on what I can try or if more info is needed please let me know! Or have you encountered the same or similar error?

Next question is, does anyone have a way to back out ROOT and return the device back to being unrooted with out having to restore / reinstall the entire ROM? You don't need to do anything so drastic to ROOT the device so I was hoping there would be a way to remove the ROOT with out flashing the ROM.

The only reason I want to back out is because I want KitKat, but since that is an OTA update and I can install OTA's with ROOT. :( It sucks cause I don't know how to install KitKat any other way. I ROOTed the device in order to release the bloatware etc and AT&T is not shy about putting in bloatware.

Anyway, I hope to hear back good or bad, can help, can't help....This way I am hoping others who I am sure may have these issues may get some help for these issues.

You guys are the best! Thanks guys!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is an app called insufixer in play store that supposed to fix insufficient storage error, requires root which you seem to have.

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
There is an app called insufixer in play store that supposed to fix insufficient storage error, requires root which you seem to have.

Thanks Xeene, well I downloaded, installed and ran that app. It did find 5 app-lib folders which it said were a problem and fixed them however, the problem still exists. :( So sadly, insufficient did not fix the issue with the FB as I am still getting the same error when trying to install FB.

So sadly, I am still at a loss with what may be wrong with FB :( Still looking for some more ideas.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've had similar problem on different phone in the past but I can't remember how I remedied it. Have you tried clearing play store cache?

Also you can try this:
1) Open your keypad
2) Dial *#9900# to access the SysDump menu
3) Click on "Delete dumpstate/logcat".

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
I've had similar problem on different phone in the past but I can't remember how I remedied it. Have you tried clearing play store cache?

Also you can try this:
1) Open your keypad
2) Dial *#9900# to access the SysDump menu
3) Click on "Delete dumpstate/logcat".

Well, I had cleared the cache a while ago when I first ran accross this and that didn't seem to helpm but for kicks I tried it again and it still didn't help. I also followed the instructions above and that didn't seem to help either :(

This is very frustrating. What I don't get it where is it looking that it thinks that there is not enough disk space? What ever it is looking at, that is what I need to delete, if in fact it's looking at a file.... I mean there is way more space than is needed. Plus the other day in an effort to help with this problem, I moved all my photos, videos, and MP3's off the phone completely so that I could gain back the over 5 GB's of space these were using. However, that did not help this problem either, so I have to think that it is reading a file somewhere, but I'll be darned if I have any clue what that could be. I just don't know that much about these things unfortunately.

You keep suggesting, and I'll keep trying! :\ I do appreciate your help though! :)

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Have you tried wiping partition cache from recovery?

No I have not tried doing that, for one, I do not know how, and two, what will this do? Will this cause me to lose any data on my device? Will there be any potential downsides to doing this?

I am interested in learning more, but I need to reiterate the following, I do not have this problem with any other app. In fact I have updated other apps that had been installed just as long and have been installed through all the same changes as the FB app, so if something environmental was causing this, I would have expected to see problems with other apps and not just FB. Though none of that is to say that I won't try other suggestions cause I sure will, I was just bringing that up because it really makes no sense to me why only FB is affected, and I don't want to chance damaging anything else just to get FB to work, so if I would have to lose such and such jus to get FB to work, it may not be worth it to me. However, please hit me up with your other suggestions just if you could explain a little what your next suggestion will do and how to do it, I have no problems giving it a whirl.

Thanks Xeene! :)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You won't lose anything, it's similar to emptying temp folder in Windows. To do this..

Turn off the Galaxy Note 3.
Press and hold Volume UP + Home + Power buttons.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
In the recovery menu, navigate to ‘’wipe cache partition’’ with the volume buttons.
Press power button to confirm.
Once this is done, select reboot system now.

On another note, are you by chance using Facebook beta? I used to have problems with their beta builds and reverted back to stable releases.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry I can't offer any help on this one but you might consider downloading Titanium Backup once this issue is resolved. It's a must have for rooted users for problems just like this. There have been numerous times over the years where an updated app has caused problems or simply changed too much and i wanted the old app back. Simply uninstall the app giving you problems and restore your backup of that app and you're back in business. Just something to consider.
Good luck, hopefully one of these guys' suggestions can get you fixed up.

tap'n on my S5

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Hey cr6, thanks, you know, I actually have Titanium Backup for Root but sadly I do not think that I had used it. In fact I am pretty sure that I had tried to use it and couldn't for some reason. I will definitely take a look but IDK. I do appreciate the idea though.

Xeene,

I have gone ahead and done that. Should I try the install of FB again? I am going to check to see if I used Titanium Backup but I am pretty sure I have nothing backed up.

UPDATE: Well, I attempted the install anyway, and wouldn't you know it? It failed! LOL What a piece of S#%T! LOL

Well now may be a good time to ask about my other question cause it sounds like I am going to have to get all medieval on this thing.

Xeene, do you know if there is a way to back out of ROOT without flashing a new ROM? Can ROOT be removed somewhat painlessly or will I have to basically rebuild my device from scratch? Which of course I will need some help cause I have no clue how to do any of that. :( I hate feeling useless!

Last edited: