Issues with droid 3 after rooting and doing system restore

drewdown757

Reaction score
Ok so i just gave my wife my rooted droid 3, i did a factory restore and activated the phone. Only problem is now im stuck at the "Setup Accounts" screen. I push "done adding accounts" and it gives me a force close screen saying "process com.motorola.setup has stopped unexpectedly". is there anyway to bypass this screen? i have gone in to the phone when rooted and used root explorer to rename some of the apps to .bak but didnt delete any. ive tried a factory reset and hit the 4 corners to bypass activating but that screen still comes up. HELP PLEASE!

ModLife

Reaction score
you need to go to the thread in droid 3 hacks that tells you which apps are safe to freeze and make sure you didnt overdo the freezing process.i still havent rooted my D3 simply because there is no SBF to fall back on. My suggestion is to simply unfreeze EVERYTHING then go through and refreeze the apps in groups of 5 or so to find out when your problem arises.

REMilk

Reaction score
you need to go to the thread in droid 3 hacks that tells you which apps are safe to freeze and make sure you didnt overdo the freezing process.i still havent rooted my D3 simply because there is no SBF to fall back on. My suggestion is to simply unfreeze EVERYTHING then go through and refreeze the apps in groups of 5 or so to find out when your problem arises.

The problem is that he cannot get passed the "Setup Accounts" screen, so he cannot unfreeze anything.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
And the main problem is that he did a "Factory Reset" as there is no such thing as a "Factory Restore".

Reset - Wipe configuration/settings (as a normal non-root user....account info, downloaded apps, configured settings, etc..)

Restore - return to stock (restore deleted, frozen, renamed system apps or other files root access is needed to touch)

Restore doesn't exist, at least as of yet in any way shape or form. No .sbf, no restore files, nothing.

Reset (which does exist) wipes configured data.....some apps are needed during the setup process that apparently many users are freezing/deleteing/renaming. Once configured theses are no longer needed....but if you wipe that data........

chanceyman

Reaction score
And the main problem is that he did a "Factory Reset" as there is no such thing as a "Factory Restore".

Reset - Wipe configuration/settings (as a normal non-root user....account info, downloaded apps, configured settings, etc..)

Restore - return to stock (restore deleted, frozen, renamed system apps or other files root access is needed to touch)

Restore doesn't exist, at least as of yet in any way shape or form. No .sbf, no restore files, nothing.

Reset (which does exist) wipes configured data.....some apps are needed during the setup process that apparently many users are freezing/deleteing/renaming. Once configured theses are no longer needed....but if you wipe that data........

I have same issue is there anyway I can save my wife's system files to sd card and then use the power-X method to do an rom update from the SD card?
Both have droid 3 mine is rooted and used Titanium Backup how ever it started messing up and files I didn't delete would be deleted. Then I tried to convert a system file to user and it had an error I rebooted and the files were listed as un-installed and it would not let me use there back ups to restore system files. Then other system files like contact sync began force closing and missing on Titanium Backup. So I tried system restore and bam same problem of force close. I am a nob and need help..... should have stayed away from system files. But back to solutions can we copy the system files form the working unit and how?????

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've read that if you get the leaked update file you can get back in, but I've not personally verified that information.

chanceyman

Reaction score
I've read that if you get the leaked update file you can get back in, but I've not personally verified that information.

Nope, got it onto the SD card but without the missing system files it aborts the update. is there a way to back up system files from another droid 3 and go back to original 2.3.4 system files????

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You can pull the files from your wife's Droid 3 with ADB and then push to your Droid 3 via ADB. This may work, though permissions will probably need to be set as well.

If you can boot...and stay booted long enough....I'd suggest buying Root Explorer from the Market and use that. Once you obtain the files (***.apk an ***.odex) from your wife's phone and copy to yours, you can easily move the files to /system and change permissions with Root Explorer.

You can pull her files with ADB without her phone needing to be rooted...but yours will need to be rooted in order to move files to /system/app.

rvcjew

Reaction score
You can pull the files from your wife's Droid 3 with ADB and then push to your Droid 3 via ADB. This may work, though permissions will probably need to be set as well.

If you can boot...and stay booted long enough....I'd suggest buying Root Explorer from the Market and use that. Once you obtain the files (***.apk an ***.odex) from your wife's phone and copy to yours, you can easily move the files to /system and change permissions with Root Explorer.

You can pull her files with ADB without her phone needing to be rooted...but yours will need to be rooted in order to move files to /system/app.
i dont think he can even get to his market. he can try this though [FIX] Phone Bootlooping? - xda-developers

chanceyman

Reaction score
i dont think he can even get to his market. he can try this though [FIX] Phone Bootlooping? - xda-developers

K. now I'm having issue getting adb, It does not recognize the device. I tried my wifes phone and it opened a shell just fine. I have the 5.2.0 latest drivers from moto. anyone else having this issue and how do I overcome this. Also what files should I copy from my wifes phone?

pedromartinez

Reaction score
K. now I'm having issue getting adb, It does not recognize the device. I tried my wifes phone and it opened a shell just fine. I have the 5.2.0 latest drivers from moto. anyone else having this issue and how do I overcome this. Also what files should I copy from my wifes phone?

same problem. i suspect that this is happening because i need to turn usb debugging on. but can't do that can i. im stuck at a stupid setup accounts screen. there is a program called pete's moto tools that looks promising but is not working.

Last edited:

pedromartinez

Reaction score
I've got a fix. Set up your gmail on your Droid 3. From a computer email yourself a link to this app that allows you to turn on USB Debugging. From your gmail in your notifications bar you can open the email and traverse to the market from the link provided. Download that app. Wait for it to install. Open it and turn on USB Debugging.

You can duplicate this process for any app in the market if you want to use it in this broken state.

USB Debugging
https://market.android.com/details?id=me.tennkia.apr&feature=search_result

Next, download Pete's Motorola Tools.
Pete's Motorola Root Tools

Make sure you have the Motorola Droid 3 drivers installed on your computer. Download the default apps from the link in the help menu. Extract it to the folder where you extracted Pete's Motorola tools in a subfolder named 'restore'. Now you are ready to restore and/or unroot your phone using Pete's Motorola tools.

Click the restore system/apps button.

BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Apparently my freezing of the Guided Tours App caused this problem.

Last edited:

djthebuilder

Reaction score
I've got a fix. Set up your gmail on your Droid 3. From a computer email yourself a link to this app that allows you to turn on USB Debugging. From your gmail in your notifications bar you can open the email and traverse to the market from the link provided. Download that app. Wait for it to install. Open it and turn on USB Debugging.

You can duplicate this process for any app in the market if you want to use it in this broken state.

USB Debugging
https://market.android.com/details?id=me.tennkia.apr&feature=search_result

Next, download Pete's Motorola Tools.
Pete's Motorola Root Tools

Make sure you have the Motorola Droid 3 drivers installed on your computer. Download the default apps from the link in the help menu. Extract it to the folder where you extracted Pete's Motorola tools in a subfolder named 'restore'. Now you are ready to restore and/or unroot your phone using Pete's Motorola tools.

Click the restore system/apps button.

BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Apparently my freezing of the Guided Tours App caused this problem.

Where can i find the default apps. You said in the help menu, but i'm not sure where that is. Thanks!