Issue with "In call" volume during phone calls.

Todd droid x

Reaction score
I've had a Droid X for about a year now. I noticed in the last six months or so, my earpiece volume is very low. It is very difficult for me to hear around any kind of background noise. If I'm driving, I have to use speaker phone. If I'm in a noisy bar, I have to step outside. All of my volume settings are all the way up. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a free app out there? I've seen the volume booster in the market, but am skeptical about buying an app that might not work.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Your earpiece has a volume control that's separate from the volume control on your phone. Is that one turned up as well?

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
Kasey, I have audio manager and volume control + from app market. Everything is on highest setting. If I use the hard volume control on the phone during a call, it goes all the way up, but still hard to hear. I keep earpiece clean also. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
I have those apps as well. But those apps won't control the volume on your earpiece. Your earpiece has its own totally separate volume control. The volume control on it does not control the volume on the phone - just the volume in the ear piece. And that's the one I was talking about. There should be volume buttons on the ear piece.

What kind of ear piece is it?

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
The earpiece built into the phone. Not a wire nor bluetooth device. Thank You.

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
I use the audio manager app. Other phones are loud and clear. Other X users I've talked to don't have this problem. I may see about a replacement or upgrade to an X2. Maybe covered by warranty.

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
I know a bluetooth device would fix my issue, but I don't really want to carry one around.

tj1772

Reaction score
I had similar issue. I was told by Verizon to do factory reset. In my case it fixed the problem. It was a software (app) issue. If it didn't Verizon would replace the phone under 12 month manufacturer's warranty.

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
Thank You TJ. How is a factory reboot done? I turn off and on to soft boot about every other day.

tj1772

Reaction score
Go to menu, settings, privacy. Factory reset will wipe all your data. It put the phone to original settings. Make sure you back up all your data before doing this. If "factory Data Reset" does not fix your problem then more than likely is a hardware issue. You will need a replacement.

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
Problem solved. Blew out the earpiece with compressed air. I should have thought of this a long time ago. Thanks everyone for the advice.

tj1772

Reaction score
That's good to know. I would keep an eye on it. It could be something that was loose. If that's the case then you need to replace within the one year warranty.

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
It was just dust buildup.