Is this the official place for the Liberty ROM?

1dtms

Reaction score
Hi,
im new to android (got my droid X last week) and interested in a pure AOSP rom. I was reading around and found liberty to be one of the closest I could get to true AOSP (along side with rubix and fission). While all of them had good review I picked this over the others because of the no throttle mod. Im currently using System Version 2.3.340.MB810 and Android Version 2.2.1

Anyways im trying to find the most current liberty rom (for my current version), and if any new updates are out I would like to know

Is this the official place where updates and new liberty files will be posted to?

thanks for your time

kilahimm

Reaction score
You can find information on the current public release here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/145479-rom-liberty-gingerbread-v0-4-return-eagle.html If you're interested in accessing the most up to date version of Liberty you'll need to buy the Donate Liberty Toolbox. If you're the more patient type you can download the standard Liberty Toolbox which provides access to a version of Liberty open to the public (I think currently one version behind). That said, Team Liberty has said that final releases will be made available to all.

Reaction score
In short, the answer is yes. The latest Liberty ROM, when it is finished, is posted here (at least historically. Not sure if it's going to go Toolbox-only this time or not.) If you buy the Donate version, you get beta/nightly builds. If you don't, you can still install the latest "release" version.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
You can find information on the current public release here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/145479-rom-liberty-gingerbread-v0-4-return-eagle.html If you're interested in accessing the most up to date version of Liberty you'll need to buy the Donate Liberty Toolbox. If you're the more patient type you can download the standard Liberty Toolbox which provides access to a version of Liberty open to the public (I think currently one version behind). That said, Team Liberty has said that final releases will be made available to all.

He said he was on 2.3.340 (2.2.1), so the most current version of Liberty for that base is Liberty 2.0.1.

You can install LGB v0.1 FULL INSTALL from within the Liberty Toolbox Donate app. Then install v0.5 (with kernel update) and I think there is even a v0.6 out now that will get you up to the .596 GB base, which is the OTA release.

Reaction score
You can find information on the current public release here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...om-liberty-gingerbread-v0-4-return-eagle.html If you're interested in accessing the most up to date version of Liberty you'll need to buy the Donate Liberty Toolbox. If you're the more patient type you can download the standard Liberty Toolbox which provides access to a version of Liberty open to the public (I think currently one version behind). That said, Team Liberty has said that final releases will be made available to all.

He said he was on 2.3.340 (2.2.1), so the most current version of Liberty for that base is Liberty 2.0.1.

You can install LGB v0.1 FULL INSTALL from within the Liberty Toolbox Donate app. Then install v0.5 (with kernel update) and I think there is even a v0.6 out now that will get you up to the .596 GB base, which is the OTA release.

Just so there is no confusion, the Verizon release does not correlate with the LGB release. LGB has not been officially released yet. The 0.x downloads are pre-release versions you gain access to via the Donate version of the Liberty toolbox. The latest released version of Liberty is 2.0.1, and if you're a first-time ROM'er, I'd suggest sticking with that until you feel comfortable with things like SBF.

kilahimm

Reaction score

You're right, I mis-interpreted what was being asked. So much of the chatter now-a-days is about Gingerbread I leaped right there.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Hi,
im new to android (got my droid X last week) and interested in a pure AOSP rom. I was reading around and found liberty to be one of the closest I could get to true AOSP (along side with rubix and fission). While all of them had good review I picked this over the others because of the no throttle mod. Im currently using System Version 2.3.340.MB810 and Android Version 2.2.1

Anyways im trying to find the most current liberty rom (for my current version), and if any new updates are out I would like to know

Is this the official place where updates and new liberty files will be posted to?

thanks for your time

Liberty is the best AOSP ROM out there, in my opinion. It is basically an AOSP ROM with the good parts of Blur sprinkled in (you can choose what parts to install).

If you are wanting to stay on a Froyo based ROM (hence the 2.3.340 (2.2.1)) then Liberty 2.0 is your current version. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/137375-liberty-rom-v-2-0-a.html (This thread is actually closed now.. :angry: )

But due to the pending release of the OTA Gingerbread, I believe the development of Liberty 2.0 is being halted, but it is still a super stable ROM and I was running it for many weeks without any issues. Back to your questions.

Yes, I do believe this is the official home for Liberty ROM.

If you want to be current current (as in beta current) you could pay $5 and get the Liberty Donate Toolbox from the market. It has the latest versions of Liberty ROM. I believe it is up to v0.6 for Liberty Gingerbread, which should get you up to the .596 system version (should be the OTA).

Starting with v0.5 (or v0.4) they put in the Liberty Customizer, which is a series of questions you will go through at the initial boot. It allows you to select AOSP apps or Blur apps. I really like this alot b/c i prefer most AOSP apps, but I cant seem to shake the need for the Blur Alarm and Dock. I think it is the best with both worlds. If you follow the install instructions exactly, wiping data, cache, etc. you will not have any issues.

Edit: Yes once you go to LGB, you will have to SBF to get back to Froyo, but with the pending release of OTA GB, I can only assume that the development of any Froyo ROM will start to dissipate rather quickly.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Make sure you learn how to sbf before flashing any rom (froyo or gb). Get the files and rsd lite 4.9 now just in case. I'm on liberty 2.0.1 and it is simply the best rom out there. I'm jumping to liberty gb tomorrow now that a stable ver is out for the d2. The difference between stock and liberty is literally night and day, really. If you have any questions, i'm around and am happy to help. I'm a liberty freak! Haha

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

OP

1dtms

Reaction score
Make sure you learn how to sbf before flashing any rom (froyo or gb). Get the files and rsd lite 4.9 now just in case. I'm on liberty 2.0.1 and it is simply the best rom out there. I'm jumping to liberty gb tomorrow now that a stable ver is out for the d2. The difference between stock and liberty is literally night and day, really. If you have any questions, i'm around and am happy to help. I'm a liberty freak! Haha

great thanks! i do have a couple of questions before i install liberty
im following this guide
Noob's Guide to a Droid X - xda-developers

So now im on the next step, which is installing Droid X Bootstrap.
Ive already rooted it with z4

Now what im trying to do next is install the liberty ROM
So please correct me if i understand this wrong
since im already at stock firmware and havent touched anything except root, if I install Droid X Bootstrap and make a back up, Is it correct to say I no longer need to the SBF/RSD step?

because after i install my liberty ROM I can just use Droid X Bootstrap to go back to original settings right?

did i get that right and is it safe for me to move on to my next step and install liberty ROM?

cjriddle22

Reaction score

im following this guide

since im already at stock firmware and havent touched anything except root, if I install Droid X Bootstrap and make a back up, Is it correct to say I no longer need to the SBF/RSD step?

because after i install my liberty ROM I can just use Droid X Bootstrap to go back to original settings right?

did i get that right and is it safe for me to move on to my next step and install liberty ROM?

If you are on system version 2.3.340 there is no need to SBF. I think you are on the right path. The only situation that you might be getting yourself in is that you are about to install Liberty 2.0 (correct?). With the OTA of Gingerbread being pushed out to the masses starting today, the development and support for Liberty 2.0 is about to stop (or already has, as the official thread is now closed). If you make a backup of stock you can always restore that backup as long as you don't change bases (i.e. Froyo to GB, you must SBF, Froyo to Froyo, just restore your backup, etc)

I think you might have shown up to party just a little late, don't get me wrong, Liberty 2.0 is/was the best ROM for Froyo, but it is GB time. You might want to start reading about Liberty Gingerbread and get in on that party, it is pretty nice.

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
Just to comment on the OP's original post:

Liberty is not as AOSP as it used to be, in order to give more Blur options for those who wanted them. At this point, we're just striving to be a solid, fast rom with heavy customization options.

GTX1

Reaction score
Their "official" site is here...

And on Twitter...

And maybe in the Toolbox..

Maybe even Facebook.

Every announcement i've seen is through their Twitter accounts, and sometimes I'll just find out myself something was released by way of the Toolbox.

Funny.

OP

1dtms

Reaction score

im following this guide

If you are on system version 2.3.340 there is no need to SBF. I think you are on the right path. The only situation that you might be getting yourself in is that you are about to install Liberty 2.0 (correct?). With the OTA of Gingerbread being pushed out to the masses starting today, the development and support for Liberty 2.0 is about to stop (or already has, as the official thread is now closed). If you make a backup of stock you can always restore that backup as long as you don't change bases (i.e. Froyo to GB, you must SBF, Froyo to Froyo, just restore your backup, etc)

I think you might have shown up to party just a little late, don't get me wrong, Liberty 2.0 is/was the best ROM for Froyo, but it is GB time. You might want to start reading about Liberty Gingerbread and get in on that party, it is pretty nice.

yeah i realized im pretty late. heres what i was thinking of doing.
Currently im on stock (whit just the z4 applied and unrooted thus far)
I wanna go to liberty 2.0.1 just to get a feel of AOSP and see if i like it.
Then im most likely going to GB when a stable liberty rom comes out for it.

So if backup my phone right now with droidxbootstrap, and in the future i get liberty 2.0.1 and im ready to go back to stock rom. i dont need extra files right? the droidxbootstrap already has the SBF/RSD from when I backed it up?

cjriddle22

Reaction score
So if backup my phone right now with droidxbootstrap, and in the future i get liberty 2.0.1 and im ready to go back to stock rom. i dont need extra files right? the droidxbootstrap already has the SBF/RSD from when I backed it up?

When you make a backup of your current setup (Stock ROM), you are just making a restore point for you to roll back to if you screw something up or happen to hate the ROM you flash (which will not happen with Liberty). After you make a backup and before you flash a ROM go to your sd card and check the folder clockworkmod > backup > your backup (should be the date, 2011-06-02....).

SBF'ing using RSD Lite is a totally different process that is only needed when going from GB to Froyo, or if you never made a backup of your stock setup and need to get back to completely stock (like the first time your ever booted it up). You should probably read up on how to SBF and go ahead and get the files, because it is nice to have an escape plan if something goes horribly wrong.