Is this normal? Anyone not having this problem?

Zetsumei

Reaction score
You are just flat out wrong. There isn't enough available RAM that the second you try to multitasking it wants to kill the app you are using.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Rofl. Okay bro if you even read what I typed out you wouldn't of said that. Even when you multitask the android OS will still close down the app that isn't active and is running in the back round. On Froyo and above I have yet to see people have apps FC cause of "low RAM" my friend at work is a perfect example. He has only has a 1/2 gig as well and he launches app after app after app, and everything runs fine on his phone. No FC's no real slow down, like I said if you know how the Android OS manages memory, you would know its not a bottle neck. :icon_ banana:<--- banana for you enjoy.

Edit: Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don’t Need One… - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog Enjoy.
That is a small article basically stating the same thing I have been.

Say you listening to music and browsing the web. The browser is the foreground app so if android needs RAM it will close the music app if there is nothing left to close. The reason 512gb is enough on single core phones and not dual core OS because more RAM has to be dedicated to the dual core processor and is not accessible by the OS. This is why you are seeing tablets with 1gb of RAM even though that much RAM is extremely taxing on the relatively small batteries. Can't really be any clearer than this. By the way, I am an electrical engineer who designs these things for a living.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Good for you bro. I do everything you're stating in your above statement at the same time. Surfing web listening to music and I've never had any FC's. I'm happy w/ the performance I get from this phone, and see no reason for anything over half a gig of RAM for the time being. Yes when the software advances, then more RAM probably will be needed. But for the time being 512 is more than enough. Ofc tablets will have more seeing that people tend to do more at once on a tablet ie more workspace than their phone. Remember the keypoint smartphone = phone in the end. Manufacturers are obviously still producing their devices with only half a gig of RAM? Why? Because it works, that + battery savings in a world where battery tech is far behind. I have never had a single FC and I'm very demanding on my phone, I run app after app while surfing, while streaming pandora, and have never seen any slow down. RAM generally is the last thing when it comes to bottle necking with the Android OS.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Number 2 a lot of people are experiencing. We think it is related to RAM. After all the blur and bloat, the x2 barely has more ram than the d1

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Huh? After all the apps I've installed I've still got 2.5 GB free with 1.3 GB of it is for app storage. Is this not RAM?

Oh if I read the last few posts I wouldn't have asked, sorry carry on.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

No. You are talking about flash memory. I am talking about RAM (random access memory). RAM is just as important as processing speed. The term in the industry is called "bottlenecking." Usually bottlenecking happens because of a slow hard drive, but in this case it is happening because of insufficient RAM. Dual core processors and high end graphics cards require higher RAM. The tablets that use dual core have 1gb of RAM. The X2 only has 512mb of RAM. A fast processor is useless if the phone can't remember what it just "processed."

If you have ever seen the movie "Momento" it is kind of like that. If you haven't seen Momento, watch it now!!!! I am sure it is available on the blockbuster app you can't uninstall.

Ah nuts, well that sucks a bit. Why so cheap with the RAM?
So when they say the X2 shares user and app memory it's actually flash men?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Neither of you has taken into acct that the ram as stated by another tech I spoke with at moto corporate yesterday is ddr2... Though I'm waiting for a tear down as validation .

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Elkay

Reaction score
Tegra 2 chipsets use DDR2.

NVIDIA Tegra 2

Poor RAM profiling is absolutely the problem with the device's performance currently. I'm fully aware of how Android caches apps and shuts them down as needed. It does so through manufacturer-specified configurable settings, though. Motorola has HORRIBLE stock settings defined on the X2. I'm the one that thoroughly tested and posted the memory profile fixes on the forums. With the stock settings, Android can't even keep LauncherPro in memory with only a few widgets on the homescreens.

Kingsway is correct. And Momento is a great flic.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Tegra 2 chipsets use DDR2.

NVIDIA Tegra 2

Poor RAM profiling is absolutely the problem with the device's performance currently. I'm fully aware of how Android caches apps and shuts them down as needed. It does so through manufacturer-specified configurable settings, though. Motorola has HORRIBLE stock settings defined on the X2. I'm the one that thoroughly tested and posted the memory profile fixes on the forums. With the stock settings, Android can't even keep LauncherPro in memory with only a few widgets on the homescreens.

Kingsway is correct. And Momento is a great flic.

Kingsway never talked about the profiling of the RAM, just the amount of RAM I do agree that Moto's profiling has alot left to be desired. I have heard alot of good things about the V6 script with the better timings etc. If indeed it is DDR2 (heck even plain DDR) w/ the V6 script I forsee no issues w/ just 512 MB of RAM. I personally have had no issues w/ FC's speed issues, redraw issues w/ my launcher.:icon_ banana:dancedroid

Elkay

Reaction score
LauncherPro redrew on EVERY return to the homescreen on my phone. I froze as much bloat as I could and it still did it. I was sitting at about 35MB free on the homescreen, definitely nowhere near enough free RAM. Using custom timings, I'm sitting at about 85-105MB free at any given time after going back to the homescreen and closing an app. It's like a completely different phone. I've had no slowdowns, no sluggish launching apps and no battery problems. I can charge my phone every other day.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
LauncherPro redrew on EVERY return to the homescreen on my phone. I froze as much bloat as I could and it still did it. I was sitting at about 35MB free on the homescreen, definitely nowhere near enough free RAM. Using custom timings, I'm sitting at about 85-105MB free at any given time after going back to the homescreen and closing an app. It's like a completely different phone. I've had no slowdowns, no sluggish launching apps and no battery problems. I can charge my phone every other day.

You ran the v6 scrip correct? Did they give any custom values due to the RAM size difference of milestone vs x2?

Elkay

Reaction score

You ran the v6 scrip correct? Did they give any custom values due to the RAM size difference of milestone vs x2?

I use 6,12,75,125,150,175.

Zetsumei

Reaction score

I use 6,12,75,125,150,175.

Sweet and this fixed all your initial issues correct? Including the LP redrawing?

Elkay

Reaction score

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'll second the greatness of the V6. ALMOST a completely different experience. And I use a lot of apps with GO Launcher + various addons, usually run with about 77-100mb. However I do still experience issue number 2 in the OP. The player will even just stop sometimes when I have the FM transmitter plugged in through my car. PowerAMP seemed to cut back on the choppiness, but it's still there slightly. I just can't believe my Eris actually did something better than my X2.

So annoying, this better get fixed soon cause I used my 14 day return on this phone and music is one of the top things I use my phone for...