Is this normal? Anyone not having this problem?

kilogic

Reaction score
I've found a couple things that i want to see if they are all X2's or just mine:

1. Bang Bang Racing - I got the demo but it just sits on the splash screen forever, only to then sit on the next flash screen forever. I've never gotten the main menu to show up. Is this just me?

2. Sound (music, streaming, games) - I've noticed the sound hitch up quite a few times. Sometimes the sound hitches even when i'm just streaming music and not even touching the phone. I hope all the other hardware aside from the tegra chip isnt cheap, hopefully this will be fixed by firmware/software later. Anyone else have this happen to them?

3. Plants vs Zombies - It runs the battery a little hot after two rounds followed by the game stopping abruptly, going to a loading screen, then returning paused. I was thinking this may be normal but my brother's TB has never had this problem. Anyone else?

Please chime in to discuss but let me know if you've had the same experience or not. Overall I've been very lukewarm on this phone. Being tied to 2 years is killing me, but coming from an OG i'm feeling mostly good about the commitment.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I can only help you on #2. I don't have any problem with music skipping or pops. Last night I was listening to an audible book and opened the music player and started a song. Both played over my bluetooth head piece at the same time. Later I played with Slacker and Sirius/XM radio. Slacker played perfectly but there were a few pauses pops with Sirius/XM. Kinda sad I've had a Sirius radio for years but Slacker for free seems much better, (except for Howard Stern that is)

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Number 2 a lot of people are experiencing. We think it is related to RAM. After all the blur and bloat, the x2 barely has more ram than the d1

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

SPG900NY

Reaction score
2. Sound (music, streaming, games) - I've noticed the sound hitch up quite a few times. Sometimes the sound hitches even when i'm just streaming music and not even touching the phone. I hope all the other hardware aside from the tegra chip isnt cheap, hopefully this will be fixed by firmware/software later. Anyone else have this happen to them?

ALL the TIME!!!

Also, there's a horrible CLICK or POP every time the audio channel opens or closes. That means when starting a call, ending a call, starting music in the music app. Rhapsody is unlistenable because it might take a few seconds for a song to buffer. In that time, the audio channel cuts out, then clicks back on.

It's killing the speakers in my car. I have to ride the volume to prevent the speakers from blowing out. Motorola REALLY needs to fix this!!!

myriad46

Reaction score
The Plant's vs Zombies thing happened to me a bunch a few days ago, but I just played 3 rounds in a row at lunch today and nothing. Intermitent bug on the games' part I would imagine. It's a first edition. Try rebooting for now, but I would expect a bug fixing update soon for Android.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Number 2 a lot of people are experiencing. We think it is related to RAM. After all the blur and bloat, the x2 barely has more ram than the d1

Huh? After all the apps I've installed I've still got 2.5 GB free with 1.3 GB of it is for app storage. Is this not RAM?

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Huh? After all the apps I've installed I've still got 2.5 GB free with 1.3 GB of it is for app storage. Is this not RAM?

No. You are talking about flash memory. I am talking about RAM (random access memory). RAM is just as important as processing speed. The term in the industry is called "bottlenecking." Usually bottlenecking happens because of a slow hard drive, but in this case it is happening because of insufficient RAM. Dual core processors and high end graphics cards require higher RAM. The tablets that use dual core have 1gb of RAM. The X2 only has 512mb of RAM. A fast processor is useless if the phone can't remember what it just "processed."

If you have ever seen the movie "Momento" it is kind of like that. If you haven't seen Momento, watch it now!!!! I am sure it is available on the blockbuster app you can't uninstall.

Zetsumei

Reaction score

No. You are talking about flash memory. I am talking about RAM (random access memory). RAM is just as important as processing speed. The term in the industry is called "bottlenecking." Usually bottlenecking happens because of a slow hard drive, but in this case it is happening because of insufficient RAM. Dual core processors and high end graphics cards require higher RAM. The tablets that use dual core have 1gb of RAM. The X2 only has 512mb of RAM. A fast processor is useless if the phone can't remember what it just "processed."

If you have ever seen the movie "Momento" it is kind of like that. If you haven't seen Momento, watch it now!!!! I am sure it is available on the blockbuster app you can't uninstall.

Yeah noooooo. RAM is generally the last issue when it comes to bottle necking. First the thing generally being the CPU not being able to keep up w/ GPU's etc. Honestly the hardware in this phone is fine, and will be for 1-2 years etc. The issue here is the craptacular wonder we know as Blur. Pznerd. But tbh I have zero speed issues w/ X2 and its loaded w/ widgets etc.

OP
K

kilogic

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I buy the ram thing cause the dual core cpu shouldnt be a bottleneck if its actually being used. it sounds like its not my phone though. Anyone try Bang Racing?

Is it much better freezing bloatware? Im trying to hold out rooting for gingerbread but can't stand some of these quirks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Yeah noooooo. RAM is generally the last issue when it comes to bottle necking. First the thing generally being the CPU not being able to keep up w/ GPU's etc. Honestly the hardware in this phone is fine, and will be for 1-2 years etc. The issue here is the craptacular wonder we know as Blur. Pznerd. But tbh I have zero speed issues w/ X2 and its loaded w/ widgets etc.

Not trying to start a flame war so this is my last post on this issue, but ram can absolutely be a bottleneck. A bottleneck is simply one piece of hardware slowing down the powerful hardware.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Zetsumei

Reaction score

Not trying to start a flame war so this is my last post on this issue, but ram can absolutely be a bottleneck. A bottleneck is simply one piece of hardware slowing down the powerful hardware.

RAM is rarely a bottle neck anymore, even on modern PC's unless you're running vista with 1-2 GB. Most users use 4GB some 6-8, I personally have 8GB on my system and never get anywyere near it. If you understood how the Android OS works you'd understand that RAM isn't bottle necking this phone. Hell even if the OG droid can use GB and it only has 256 MB of RAM and work just fine, there is no reason that the X2 with half a gig cannot plow through froyo and GB.

Also if you understand how the Android OS works with memory management, you'd also understand RAM is on the bottom of the list for hardware bottlenecks on phones. It keeps the apps you access the most in the RAM, so if you access it again it'll bring that app up quickly. If you need to open another APP and theres not much RAM left, the OS closes the Apps that aren't being used freeing up the memory etc. If you're using a task manager to kill apps you're disrupting that process and that can cause performance hits. There are tons of articles on why RAM isn't an issue w/ the Android OS for this very reason.

I'm not trying to flame or anything, just trying to have a constructive conversation. We each have our own opinions, and I respect your point of view and statement.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

RAM is rarely a bottle neck anymore, even on modern PC's unless you're running vista with 1-2 GB. Most users use 4GB some 6-8, I personally have 8GB on my system and never get anywyere near it. If you understood how the Android OS works you'd understand that RAM isn't bottle necking this phone. Hell even if the OG droid can use GB and it only has 256 MB of RAM and work just fine, there is no reason that the X2 with half a gig cannot plow through froyo and GB.

Also if you understand how the Android OS works with memory management, you'd also understand RAM is on the bottom of the list for hardware bottlenecks on phones. It keeps the apps you access the most in the RAM, so if you access it again it'll bring that app up quickly. If you need to open another APP and theres not much RAM left, the OS closes the Apps that aren't being used freeing up the memory etc. If you're using a task manager to kill apps you're disrupting that process and that can cause performance hits. There are tons of articles on why RAM isn't an issue w/ the Android OS for this very reason.

I'm not trying to flame or anything, just trying to have a constructive conversation. We each have our own opinions, and I respect your point of view and statement.

You are just flat out wrong. There isn't enough available RAM that the second you try to multitasking it wants to kill the app you are using.

Zetsumei

Reaction score

You are just flat out wrong. There isn't enough available RAM that the second you try to multitasking it wants to kill the app you are using.

Rofl. Okay bro if you even read what I typed out you wouldn't of said that. Even when you multitask the android OS will still close down the app that isn't active and is running in the back round. On Froyo and above I have yet to see people have apps FC cause of "low RAM" my friend at work is a perfect example. He has only has a 1/2 gig as well and he launches app after app after app, and everything runs fine on his phone. No FC's no real slow down, like I said if you know how the Android OS manages memory, you would know its not a bottle neck. :icon_ banana:<--- banana for you enjoy.

Edit: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02/revisiting-android-task-killers-and-why-you-dont-need-one/ Enjoy.
That is a small article basically stating the same thing I have been.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Rofl. Okay bro if you even read what I typed out you wouldn't of said that. Even when you multitask the android OS will still close down the app that isn't active and is running in the back round. On Froyo and above I have yet to see people have apps FC cause of "low RAM" my friend at work is a perfect example. He has only has a 1/2 gig as well and he launches app after app after app, and everything runs fine on his phone. No FC's no real slow down, like I said if you know how the Android OS manages memory, you would know its not a bottle neck. :icon_ banana:<--- banana for you enjoy.

Edit: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02/revisiting-android-task-killers-and-why-you-dont-need-one/ Enjoy.
That is a small article basically stating the same thing I have been.

Say you listening to music and browsing the web. The browser is the foreground app so if android needs RAM it will close the music app if there is nothing left to close. The reason 512gb is enough on single core phones and not dual core OS because more RAM has to be dedicated to the dual core processor and is not accessible by the OS. This is why you are seeing tablets with 1gb of RAM even though that much RAM is extremely taxing on the relatively small batteries. Can't really be any clearer than this. By the way, I am an electrical engineer who designs these things for a living.