Is there demand for a LARGER screen phone? POLL

k1ng617

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my current phone the Moto DX, but if there were one thing that would compel me to buy a new one it would be a larger screen. The issue is I don't want a much larger phone overall, because the DX is on the upper limit of pocketability and something like the Dell Streak is a behemoth with an unnecessarily thick bezel.

Here's a same size DX with a roughly 4.7inch screen I mocked up.

5752706818_0728d64e23_z.jpg

And just for comparison Dell Streak 5in, Samsung Infuse 4.5, DroidX 4.3

5752160581_af1704d9cc_z.jpg

Would you want a phone with a screen larger than 4.3 if it didn't mean having that much larger of a phone?

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dont really need to go any bigger then a 4.3 even that is pushing it.. all they need to do is increase the resolution.

brettd

Reaction score
I might prefer a wider screen but not a taller one, whether I am in landscape or portrait its always the limiting factor.

OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score
I might prefer a wider screen but not a taller one, whether I am in landscape or portrait its always the limiting factor.

I agree; I always thought the HD2 had the better ratio. That brings up a good point too, because there is an LG phone I think that is supposed to have a 4.7in or 4.8in screen that I wouldn't buy because it is super long and looks ridiculously disproportionate.

@garrett I also want a higher res. QHD or something like that would be a must for me too.

brettd

Reaction score
Its a shame that there aren't any higher resolution options for 3:5 and I haven't heard of any plans for them in the future only qhd and 720p. I would even go with 2:3 like the iphone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

matt2783

Reaction score
4" form factor is perfect imo. I can get used to 4.3 but anything bigger than that is just ridiculous.

OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think 4 inch is the perfect size, 4.3 is not bad either, anything bigger then that and it might borderline on ridiculous looking haha

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Higher res would definitely be preferred over a larger screen but I would happily take both.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score
wow I'm surprised the tally for yes has risen to about 25%. I've always thought I was in a really small minority which is why there haven't been many phones announced that will cater to my taste for a larger screen. Hopefully, there will be a super phone out with an Amoled or IPS QHD 4.5in+ for us few.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
4.3 is perfect.

Anything higher might as well be a tablet.
I want to be able to use one hand holding my phone, and be able to reach every part of the screen easily.
4.3+ screens would make it hard for most people.

You might as well buy a tablet.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 for higher res which isn't on the poll. Screen size isn't as important to me.

wow I'm surprised the tally for yes has risen to about 25%. I've always thought I was in a really small minority
You are. Forum users are a tiny minority despite how they perceive themselves. The majority of the market is made up of consumers that never use discussion fora. This poll makes up a faction of that tiny minority of forum users.

You might as well buy a tablet.
My tablet is my tablet, not my phone. There's a huge difference between 4.3" and my tablet's screen size. Simply lumping them together makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I definitely feel like the DX is starting to get to that ridiculous size. It looks nice sure, but I can barely feel normal texting on it and I've got big hands. Can't imagine the average sized person being able to use it that well.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I definitely feel like the DX is starting to get to that ridiculous size. It looks nice sure, but I can barely feel normal texting on it and I've got big hands. Can't imagine the average sized person being able to use it that well.

ATT's upcoming HTC phone is coming with a 4.5inch screen, and looks a bit bigger than the X.

To be honest, I would love that phone if it had a smaller screen.
IMO, 3.5 is too small, 3.7 is ok, 4.0 is perfect, 4.3 is good, anything over is ridiculous and should be a tablet.