Small & cute Android phones?

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
So there's a chance that my wife will finally jump on the smartphone bandwagon soon (she's been one to say that she'll never do that but she keeps liking my Android devices more and more). However, she's not going to want a phone that I want. She doesn't care about all of the blazing features, hi-res screens, etc. 4.3" screen - NO WAY! However, she insists also on a good qwerty keyboard (wtf! I nearly spelled that querty!).

So here are the specs that I think she'd want. Any chance something like this exists for Verizon?
- 3.2-3.5" screen (can potentially even be the 320x480 resolution of generation 1 Android phones)
- slide-out 4-row qwerty keyboard (important that it's a good keyboard - this is VERY important to her)
- 800MHz or faster cpu
- 256-512MB RAM (I'd LIKE 512 but 256 would probably be sufficient)
- 3G/GPS/Bluetooth/non-super-crappy rear-facing camera
- I would like for it to be hackable so I can make it run faster than stock
- Cute cases available for it
- Good battery life

I've done some Googling and haven't had much luck finding any phones that could meet these requirements. In fact, I've had trouble finding just smaller form-factor modern Android phones in general. I recall there being a mini Galaxy S but I don't remember the details of it (and am concerned about the software situation on any Samsung phone but since this is for her instead of me, she'll probably care much less than I would).

She's not going to use heavy data on it or use it heavily as a smartphone in general, but she would like to occasionally look things up online with it, use GPS, and play some games on it. We're already paying for unlimited data for her (was cheaper to do that than not to even if she used 0 data - go figure), so us paying for VCast Navigator on her current phone is an option but one that is significantly more expensive and much less ideal in other ways for her.

Whatcha's think? Any comparison posts/articles on such phones? If not, what phones do you all know of that might be close to or meeting these requirements?

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
My wife has had the Ally since last August and likes it a lot. I could even live with it if I did not have my Droid. I think the 3.2 inch screen is a bit small, but that makes the phone smaller. It is 800x480 resolution. I know that it is a somewhat old design, but the keyboard is very good, much better in feel than the Droid. She uses it a lot for data entry.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
My wife has had the Ally since last August and likes it a lot. I could even live with it if I did not have my Droid. I think the 3.2 inch screen is a bit small, but that makes the phone smaller. It is 800x480 resolution. I know that it is a somewhat old design, but the keyboard is very good, much better in feel than the Droid. She uses it a lot for data entry.

Does that support 3G? After a few minutes of Googling, I failed to find a reliable source indicating that it does (and I even found a source or two, again non-reliable, indicating it didn't).

Do you run this? Seems to be the best way to make it the best phone it can be:
[ROM] Velocity V1.0 | LG Ally | Android 2.2.1 Froyo | Super Fast | Stable - Android Forums

Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like it could be a good candidate for what she's looking for. :)

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Does that support 3G? After a few minutes of Googling, I failed to find a reliable source indicating that it does (and I even found a source or two, again non-reliable, indicating it didn't).

[ROM] Velocity V1.0 | LG Ally | Android 2.2.1 Froyo | Super Fast | Stable - Android Forums

Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like it could be a good candidate for what she's looking for. :)

It supports 3G. It is basically the same as my Droid except for the following:

Ally has slower processor and does not support flash.
Ally screen is 3.2 vs 3.7.
Ally has a better keyboard.
Ally is smaller and there is a nice Verizon silicone case for it.

The Ally has all the apps that my Droid has. She surfs the web at 3G speeds, can use Google maps, can use either 3G or wifi, can read her books on the Nook app, etc. It is likely too slow for gaming, but neither of us do that.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

It supports 3G. It is basically the same as my Droid except for the following:

Ally has slower processor and does not support flash.
Ally screen is 3.2 vs 3.7.
Ally has a better keyboard.
Ally is smaller and there is a nice Verizon silicone case for it.

The Ally has all the apps that my Droid has. She surfs the web at 3G speeds, can use Google maps, can use either 3G or wifi, can read her books on the Nook app, etc. It is likely too slow for gaming, but neither of us do that.

Sounds very close, then, to what she'd be looking for. The games she'd play are like Tetris, nothing serious (probably not even Angry Birds). I don't think the lack of Flash is a big deal at all. Thanks for this suggestion! Definitely glad that it has a better keyboard than the Droid. :)

I'm still curious about the rooted/overclocked/custom ROM scenario. I need to dig a bit deeper on what's available. My 3-minutes of skimming so far liked what it saw.