Is there any way to root without using HTCDev first and voiding warranty?

armedmonkey

Reaction score
I'm not really interested in unlocking the bootloader for this phone because it is not mine. I just want to get it rooted. Is there a way to do this without using HTCDev? Phone's my father's and he probably won't go for the whole warranty voided thing :).

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
1) The warranty isn't voided by unlocking.

B) You can unlock s-off and change the bootloader to show "S-ON" *LOCKED* again (way more complicated)

Z) If it's not your phone...don't mod it. Just friendly advice...I'll tell a million people how to mod a phone but never touch one that isn't mine..

OP
A

armedmonkey

Reaction score
re 1) As I found out, it only voids your manufacturer warranty; Verizon doesn't seem to care. HTCDev's website says right on it that it voids their warranty though. re B) It's cool that you can do that, but if HTC has a record of you doing it, which they totally do because you're giving them your serial number, then they'll still know, indicator or not, that you have unlocked it at some point re z) Fair enough. It's my father's though. He wants me to, so my hands are tied =). I almost crapped myself when his dInc was taking too long to boot after S-OFF.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
re 1) As I found out, it only voids your manufacturer warranty; Verizon doesn't seem to care. HTCDev's website says right on it that it voids their warranty though. re B) It's cool that you can do that, but if HTC has a record of you doing it, which they totally do because you're giving them your serial number, then they'll still know, indicator or not, that you have unlocked it at some point re z) Fair enough. It's my father's though. He wants me to, so my hands are tied =). I almost crapped myself when his dInc was taking too long to boot after S-OFF.

If you read the exact wording of HTC's agreement when you unlock, it says "may" void parts of your warranty. Basically put, you'll still get warranty service from Verizon or HTC so long as unlocking wasn't the direct reason why your phone broke. Also, nobody ever takes a look at the phone software. They get it in, physically inspect it and re-image it. Heck most Verizon techs couldn't even tell you how to check for S-Off..

OP
A

armedmonkey

Reaction score
MrSmith317:
Please understand that you will not be able to return your device to the original state and going forward your device may not be held covered under the warranty for all claims resulting from the unlocking of the bootloader. HTC bears no responsibility if your device is no longer usable afterwards.
That's what I'm referring to. HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader