Hold up a sec...

Abs

Reaction score
So I just purchased a Rezound yesterday and its on its way here still. I'm really into rooting/ROMs/etc and expect to get into it with the Rezound like I have with my Droid2. I've been reading up on some stuff and see that I must unlock my bootloader through the HTCDev site. Now this isn't a problem at all except for the fact that I am reading things about my phone no longer being in warranty when I'm done...

Does this mean that once I put in a request at HTCDev, Verizon won't replace my phone if for some reason it is defective? Even if it is of no fault of mine?

For example... if I unlock my bootloader and put a ROM on it and find out that my 4G radio has an issue that is due to faulty manufacturing, will I be able to take it back to Verizon for a replacement? What about if I unroot, relock, and flash the stock ROM back on my phone? Because if this totally kills my warranty I might not want to get this phone lol.

Also, what about if I get insurance? Does that make a difference?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, Verizon will warranty support and HTCDev unlocked phone. Just put it back to stock using an RUU and you're cool. The phone is virtually unbrickable with dev unlock.

OP
Abs

Abs

Reaction score
Alright awesome! I mean I certainly know what I'm doing with rooting and tweaking etc and messing up the phones software shouldn't be a problem. I was just afraid that Verizon had some sort of system where they checked with HTC to see if my phone was unlocked and then offered me a warranty only if it wasn't. I'll certainly ruu back to bone stock before taking it in for service if I ever need to.

This leads to another question though... to get a device unlock code or w/e from HTC, do you have to provide some sort of unique device ID?