New Info RE: HTCDev Unlock Manufacturer Warranty

Reaction score
Hope this gets Sticky Status as I believe this is important info for the current and would-be Rezound rooters.

It has been widely believed that if you unlock your bootloader whether S-On or S-Off you void your manufacturer warranty.

Apparently this is not true; with strings attached...

According to Customer Support from Verizon (not the first guys you talk to, the ones that actually can tell you about your phone and speak your language) the warranty remains in tact. As long as you use the "Legal" HTCDev version of unlocking the phone.

Basically what they're saying is "Your warranty is not void but it makes you liable for much more then if you were to leave the phone locked." The rep went on to explain to me that because the radio and SIM remains locked, the phone is still repairable in the event of a soft brick, however, just because the warranty is in tact doesn't mean we will replace it because you bricked your phone. This is where you become liable, as well as hardware defects from overclocking or pushing the hardware beyond its intended ability.

Like I'd let them know it was my fault or that I burnt my CPU trying to achieve 2.5Ghz? lol :blink::p

The other thing he said was "We still offer support for unlocked phones but our support becomes limited if you are using 3rd party software which is why we strongly discourage unlocking the bootloader."

He concluded with "Your warranty still covers any and all manufacturer defects as long as you were never the cause of such issues which is why HTC does not give you S-Off regardless of unlocking your bootloader." The way he put it makes it seem like HTC was actually looking out for our well being?!?!?! :hail: I hope that's true...

Having owned a EVO 3D, it looks like they took the same stance as Sprint, which is a good thing.

SO, TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE AFRAID OF THIS PROCESS???? LET'ER RIP AND ENJOY YOUR PHONE!!!

Happy New Years and Merry Belated Christmas and lets bring 2012 in with a bang! Why not, were all supposed to die this year anyhow? :icon_eek:
muahahahahahahaha

Volkaru

Reaction score
This is great news, because of how many duds I've gotten with this phone, until this latest one, which I've only had for two weeks; I'd been very apprehensive about rooting my phone. But now I think that when I finally decide to--after there has been more development time to put out more stable ROMs (Not saying the ones out that I've looked at aren't already amazingly well done and decently stable, the headway in our community has been astounding, I'm just very anal.) --Then I will most likely join everyone else in rooting and getting a custom ROM and enjoying everything that it has to offer.

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
This is great news, because of how many duds I've gotten with this phone, until this latest one, which I've only had for two weeks; I'd been very apprehensive about rooting my phone. But now I think that when I finally decide to--after there has been more development time to put out more stable ROMs (Not saying the ones out that I've looked at aren't already amazingly well done and decently stable, the headway in our community has been astounding, I'm just very anal.) --Then I will most likely join everyone else in rooting and getting a custom ROM and enjoying everything that it has to offer.

I hear you, I'm on number three myself... If this one acts up, I might have to consider switching devices in spite of my liking HTC and their phones...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Duds? How so? I'm on my first and compared to the Bionic I had before (which was a true dud) this phone rocks. I have had no issues what so ever.

If its data drops you are talking about, remember, its not always the phone, all 4G phones have this, because of Verizon's new network. It has to do with the new encryption/authentication system they now use for 4G and the new 3G not being able to re-authenticate with your SIM card.

Volkaru

Reaction score
Duds? How so? I'm on my first and compared to the Bionic I had before (which was a true dud) this phone rocks. I have had no issues what so ever.

If its data drops you are talking about, remember, its not always the phone, all 4G phones have this, because of Verizon's new network. It has to do with the new encryption/authentication system they now use for 4G and the new 3G not being able to re-authenticate with your SIM card.
No, I know the data drops are probably network and getting better already, I just have had bad luck with devices with actual viable problems, first one had horrible audio problems, second one got stuck in an infinite boot loop not caused or fixable by changing my radios around, even a factory reset didn't fix it, third one has given me no issues so far, I'm just apprehensive and cynical that something WILL happen to it, I've only had it for a couple weeks, seems issues always pop up for people after week three)

I've said time and again though that even with the couple duds I've gotten, I absolutely love this phone and would recommend it to anyone.

slim6596

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
So, if something hardware related happens (like dead pixels, backlight burn out, etc.) they will still cover it. If it's software related, it's going to be much harder to get them to warranty it, but it still may be possible (depending on the issue)? That makes way too much sense. Good to hear it. I thought when I pulled the rip cord on unlocking, I was completely on my own if anything at all happened.

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
So, if something hardware related happens (like dead pixels, backlight burn out, etc.) they will still cover it. If it's software related, it's going to be much harder to get them to warranty it, but it still may be possible (depending on the issue)? That makes way too much sense. Good to hear it. I thought when I pulled the rip cord on unlocking, I was completely on my own if anything at all happened.

Me n you both... That's why I got this info first...

I'm on my third phone because my first had heat issues, 54 degrees Celsius+ kind of heat issues. The second was because the ear piece had a short in it... The third one has not given me a single issue.... Yet...

I too am waiting for something to go wrong, with hopes that it won't of course!

However, if something else goes wrong, according to Amazon, I'll have to switch devices because they don't like to keep replacing phones much...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums