Is there an SMS Popup/Notify app that....

transfan

Reaction score
I tried "SMS Popup 1.09" and "SMS Notifier"

I like SMS popup because it gives me a window immediately with the full text message, however it also unlocks the phone at the same time. So I'm worried about "pocket texting"

Is there an app that will popup the text message I receive but also lock the screen so that I can't accidentally respond?

Milton515

Reaction score
I use Chompsms (free in market), it has an option in the settings that will have a pop-up for your SMS and it also unlocks the phone.....

Sent from D1 running UD1.0.0 with Launcher Pro Plus with Red Theme and stock UD kernel

terra-

Reaction score
Handcent SMS all the way! The pop will not unlock your screen.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Handcent SMS has the option for a pop-up window. That will 'pop-up' over the lock screen when the screen is asleep. The phone will turn on, you'll be able to see the pop-up window where you can reply and send, all while the screen is still locked.

terra-

Reaction score
Handcent SMS has the option for a pop-up window. That will 'pop-up' over the lock screen when the screen is asleep. The phone will turn on, you'll be able to see the pop-up window where you can reply and send, all while the screen is still locked.

Weird....mine does not override the lock. If the phone is sleeping, a text will not even wake it up, it just plays the notification sound and lights up the LED. I have to unlock the phone to view the pop. I am runnning UD 2.0.0 but its been like that on every other ROM.....im not trying to disagree with you, just stating how it works on my device.

btw Droid 1

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have 'screen on for popup' enabled? - That will wake the screen from sleep when a text comes in.

'restrict pop-up' - sets whether the pop-up screen shows up all the time, or only when the keyguard is engaged.

'show when locked' - shown over the lock screen

phatrabbitt

Reaction score
You need to go into your notification setting then pop up setting. You can make it work how you want there.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
T

transfan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Handcent seems to be a great app, however there is one additional feature that I can't figure out. How do you make the phone beep or vibrate when the popup occurs? I see the setting for beep/vibrate when the status-bar notification occurs, but that is usually after you have viewed the popup.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any pocket texting issues with SMS... if the phone is sleeping I'll get notifications and unlock to see the pop up. I don't see how you would be getting something different that might allow a pocket text.

OP
T

transfan

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I haven't been as clear as I tried to be. Let me try to rephrase:

My phone is sleeping. I want a popup that shows the text message. I still want the phone to be locked. So I can see the text message but I cannot do anything else until I unlock the phone.

Handcent does this. It displays a popup and all you can do is hit X to close it. Then it drops back to the lock-screen. This is great. HOWEVER, when it is showing this popup it does NOT beep or vibrate to let me know that the popup is there! I need it to vibrate so when it is in my pocket I can quickly take it out and see the message. Then I can decide whether or not to unlock the phone and reply.

One workaround I have found is to use Handcent to popup the message, but still use the droid's built-in messenger to vibrate/beep a notifcation. It's ugly but it works.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I haven't been as clear as I tried to be. Let me try to rephrase:

My phone is sleeping. I want a popup that shows the text message. I still want the phone to be locked. So I can see the text message but I cannot do anything else until I unlock the phone.

Handcent does this. It displays a popup and all you can do is hit X to close it. Then it drops back to the lock-screen. This is great. HOWEVER, when it is showing this popup it does NOT beep or vibrate to let me know that the popup is there! I need it to vibrate so when it is in my pocket I can quickly take it out and see the message. Then I can decide whether or not to unlock the phone and reply.

One workaround I have found is to use Handcent to popup the message, but still use the droid's built-in messenger to vibrate/beep a notifcation. It's ugly but it works.

That's weird. I have popups currently enabled and the sound and vibrate both go off just fine.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App