Is the s3 going to go down the toilet now that Samsung lost to apple??

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't understand the title of this thread. Why would the S3 be affected at all? This whole thing will be tied up in court due to appeals and nothing is going to change for at least 2-3 years, so what does it have to do with the S3 which was released months ago? :confused:

tap'n

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Litigation at this level drags on for years before findings translate to actionable remedy. We will ALL be awaiting the arrival of the UPS hovercraft bringing us our new ear canal phone with holographic imaging lense by the time this stuff fleshs itself out.

VoiceGuy

Reaction score
I read an interesting article that makes the case that this could end up being good advertising for Samsung. "If the Samsung is just like the Iphone but cheaper I'll take the Samsung."

Last edited:

ambrown

Reaction score
I've let my passions get ahead of me on this case. If you would have asked me this question 24 hours ago I would have said how awful it is.

But after seeing the actual infringing devices I can't help but say that Samsung was really asking for a lawsuit when they painted a big target on their backs by using iPhone-esque exterior design.

Here are the infringing devices:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6452_7-10013506-10.html

But also note that these devices are mainly over a year old, maybe even two. So while I don't agree that all devices pictured actually infringed I don't feel quite the injustice.

The thing that still has me worried is what about other manufacturers? You know this will be seen by Apple as a free ticket to Sue-Android-ville. I'm hoping that we won't see a repeat of this trial with other defenders.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I own my own company ( not my only, not my first) I contemplate the issue in that vain.
Not a Steve Jobs ( obviously far from it but.... there are parallels) Nobody who has ever had an original thoiught really thinks immitation is the sincerest form of flattery - I can only dream what Steve Jobs felt. The guy was a friggin genious (capital "G") like him or not - fess up.
As a consumer, I appreciate trickle across technology. It benefits the little guy. The BIG guys have Patent, Copyright Law, Lawyers, etc. ALL on their side.
The stuff that leaks through, I / We get to benefit from earlier and cheaper for the most part.
I say the most part because costs for research and defense and piroting get passed on to us in the end so it really is both a philosophical question as well as a math problem.
Anyway...

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We can all thank Steve "i'd like to dance on his grave" Jobs, with his, "I want to destroy android if it's the last thing I do" attitude, along with all his extremely vague patents and a completely biased judge who was on Apples side from the beginning.
Quoting the sarcastic words of Kramer from Seinfeld..."Oh YEAH!"
:banghead:

tap'n

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
As a Droid owner and big fan, I have to say my emotion falls considerably short of caring at all about Steve Jobs comment about thermo nuclear war or burying droid. .... Wasn't my idea - No dog in that hunt.
IF I was Steve-O and I had his vision and somebody lifted my ideas, tweaked them and duplicated them. I may have a bit more passionate about the issue. Just sayin'.
Repeat: NOT a Steve Jobs fan at all BUT I will give the guy his props that are well earned and well deserved.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've let my passions get ahead of me on this case. If you would have asked me this question 24 hours ago I would have said how awful it is.

But after seeing the actual infringing devices I can't help but say that Samsung was really asking for a lawsuit when they painted a big target on their backs by using iPhone-esque exterior design.

Here are the infringing devices:
Galaxy S - Samsung's infringing devices (pictures) - CNET Reviews

Agreed. Anyone who denies that Samsung has copied Apple on several fronts is extremely biased. While I don't think they legitimately copied Apple on all of the things they were accused of or found guilty of (much of which was basic stuff that has been done in some form or fashion since well before the iPhone), they definitely lifted more than their fair share of ideas and copied them.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
rectangles with rounded edges......

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
S

snitski51

Reaction score
Really there's no difference in this case then a television company sueing another because there box shapes are the same and the picture quality is the same

ambrown

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Agreed. Anyone who denies that Samsung has copied Apple on several fronts is extremely biased. While I don't think they legitimately copied Apple on all of the things they were accused of or found guilty of (much of which was basic stuff that has been done in some form or fashion since well before the iPhone), they definitely lifted more than their fair share of ideas and copied them.

Well where I think Samsung got it wrong was mainly in the exterior design. They copied that stupid bezel from the iPhone and even that one juror said thats what was one of the more "damning" pieces of evidence. The only place where I felt Samsung went wrong on the inside was favoring a horizontal scrolling to the normal vertical scrolling on every other Android device in the app tray. Other than that I don't think Android copies the iPhone. So most of the stuff they were found guilty on I can't say were bad rulings in the case.

But what about the other Android manufacturers? I haven't seen Motorola or HTC be quite that brazen in their designs or in their skins over Android. So I just hope Apple takes a moment to stop and move on. Android is here to stay. Just because Samsung was dumb and copied didn't mean all if the Android community should suffer for their idiotic choices.

That said I think Samsung has finally wised up design-wise. The Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3 both look nothing like the iPhone inside or out (except I have a feeling "S-Voice" will come back to bite them in the butt the same way those dang bezels did in this case).

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
That said I think Samsung has finally wised up design-wise. The Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3 both look nothing like the iPhone inside or out (except I have a feeling "S-Voice" will come back to bite them in the butt the same way those dang bezels did in this case).

Google/Motorola is suing apple over siri first

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
per dictionary.com
a bezel is --A grooved ring holding the glass or plastic cover of a watch face or other instrument in position.
How did apple patent the bezel when it has existed on watches since watches started being made. What is special about apple's bezel? Something has to hold the glass.
Not saying Samsung is innocent, hell the stupid hard press button on the S3 looks more like the iPhone than most of the issues in the case, but apparently that isn't an issue. Could someone please clarify how Apple wins because of the bezel. Obviously i am missing something.