Is the droid maxx to see lollipop??

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I thought I saw that it was supposed to get some form of lollipop.. But I've yet to see anything ...the droid maxx section in the moto owners forum didn't seem too lively...but the last I checked was a few months back??

So what's going on maxx owners? How are your devices running? Are you looking to the new droids that should drop soon? The recently shown motox ? Going somewhere else?? Stepping into a turbo??

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I chose the Maxx over the Turbo because all the forum rumors said it wasn't on the Lollipoop list. I didn't want it when I just thought it was going to be problematic. Now that I know it is I'm positive that I don't. If you read all the forums of the phones that do have it it is still more problematic than I care for. Don't get me wrong it's going to be a pretty good system someday, but by then everyone will be wanting the next big thing that is being released way before the proper R&D is done. As long as being first is more important than being best the world is going to be full of products like Lollipoop.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It is still on the list to receive Lollipop. I am assuming 5.1 like the Moto X. I had figured we would see it be now, but then Moto halted the testing on the AT&T Moto X. I think that put the breaks on any work in the Verizon Moto X and the Maxx, while they work the bugs out if the AT&T Moto X. I think we will see 5.1 as soon as the Moto X update rolls out to the Verizon & AT&T models. I am happy that the Droid Maxx page onnthr Moto Forum has not blown up with rants and complaints so far. Nice and quiet means the phone is running smooth as butter. Mine is still running great. I have that itch for a new phone (Turbo), but am not in a rush....this phone still rocks.

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
As long as they got all the kinks worked out I won't have much to complain about. But I bought the exact phone because it is exactly what I want/need. I wish they would leave it alone, or at least give me a choice as to weather or not I change.

doogald

Reaction score
It's still on the list for the update, but we are less than three weeks away from the device being 2 years old, and I wonder if Motorola will just decide not to bother, as they did recently with the Atrix HD (or something like that) for which they promised KitKat and then recently announced they would not deliver.

My guess is that the phone will still get the update. But the fact that it took this long (and also way too long for the newer Turbo) has made me decide against ever getting a Droid phone again.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
For me personally, this phone works soooooo good on Kit Kat I'm not sure I even want Lollipop anymore. I have read so many issues with the 2013 Moto X on the Moto Forum. Since that and the Maxx were released together makes me nervous about how bad Lollipop might be on our phones. Maybe they should just leave it alone? But Verizon is still selling them in their stores so they will want it on Lollipop.

N1smo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 3
I had the same sentiments but was curious about Lollipop so I flashed an AOSP 5.1.1 ROM onto my spare XT1060 DE. I was sure I would be disappointed, and had made a backup image that I was sure I would be reflashing to shortly after time spent with LP. Man was I wrong, it is so much smoother/snappier than KitKat, it gave the phone new life. I read about all the issues and I have seen none of it. I still have hand wave gesture for ambient display, twist wrist gesture for camera so all that was missing was Moto Voice which I hardly ever use (only test to see if it works). Needless to say, I flashed the MAXX with an AOSP 5.1.1 ROM and have not turned back. The icing on the cake is I have Xposed installed with Greenify and Amplify both working beautifully. So for those who has an unlocked bootloader, and don't mind some elbow grease, this is a great upgrade path. I can easily flash back to 4.4.4 if I wanted to with TWRP but I have absolutely no reasons to. Its like I just upgraded to the Turbo as far as how snappy this thing is running right now. I'm loving my MAXX so much now, I ordered the VZW bumper case to show it off in all its glory.

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
I had the same sentiments but was curious about Lollipop so I flashed an AOSP 5.1.1 ROM onto my spare XT1060 DE. I was sure I would be disappointed, and had made a backup image that I was sure I would be reflashing to shortly after time spent with LP. Man was I wrong, it is so much smoother/snappier than KitKat, it gave the phone new life. I read about all the issues and I have seen none of it. I still have hand wave gesture for ambient display, twist wrist gesture for camera so all that was missing was Moto Voice which I hardly ever use (only test to see if it works). Needless to say, I flashed the MAXX with an AOSP 5.1.1 ROM and have not turned back. The icing on the cake is I have Xposed installed with Greenify and Amplify both working beautifully. So for those who has an unlocked bootloader, and don't mind some elbow grease, this is a great upgrade path. I can easily flash back to 4.4.4 if I wanted to with TWRP but I have absolutely no reasons to. Its like I just upgraded to the Turbo as far as how snappy this thing is running right now. I'm loving my MAXX so much now, I ordered the VZW bumper case to show it off in all its glory.

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk
I'm glad that they are getting it worked out, and would also like to make it a point to say this is the first 100% positive LP post I've seen. Most of the Lollipoop posts start out "anybody else having this issue.. "

N1smo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 3
There are a few of us over at xda that have been using the LP ROMs with great success. I've switched over to Exodus LP 5.1.1 shortly after that initial post and was surprised to find that it is even better than the AOSP ROM. I doubt if Motorola can release a ROM as polished and featured packed as those guys have managed to do.

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
There are a few of us over at xda that have been using the LP ROMs with great success. I've switched over to Exodus LP 5.1.1 shortly after that initial post and was surprised to find that it is even better than the AOSP ROM. I doubt if Motorola can release a ROM as polished and featured packed as those guys have managed to do.
Again not "the" update but your modified version, Don't get me wrong I'm glad it's working so well for everyone, but in fact that is not the version I would receive from Moto. I bought my KK powered Droid Maxx because I like it just the way it is, and still would like to keep it that way.

doogald

Reaction score
Again not "the" update but your modified version, Don't get me wrong I'm glad it's working so well for everyone, but in fact that is not the version I would receive from Moto. I bought my KK powered Droid Maxx because I like it just the way it is, and still would like to keep it that way.
You should have seen it on jellybean. The battery really lasted two days back then.

(I still want to see lollipop on the phone. Because KitKat does have some issues, at least for me.)

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Not that I'm aware of..unfortunately