New Droid Maxx - No SWYPE app on the phone? What a disgrace

ShaunPope

Reaction score
I just got my new Droid Maxx today and I came to find out there is no SWYPE feature on the phone. I called Tech Support and they couldn't help me either. Is it just buried somewhere? Does it no longer come with SWYPE? I saw the app in the Play Store but they are only free for 30 days. WTF is going on?

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
I believe that the Google keyboard does a basic Swype, beyond that I believe it came on the phone, have you tried opening the keyboard like you're going to type and click the keyboard in the status bar, is Swype located there?

Also, the paid version of Swype offers some good features and is worth the small price attached.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Correct.... Download the Google keyboard from the Play Store... You can swype with it. SwiftKey is another great keyboard you can swype with and offers more features than the Google kb. :thumbup:

tap'n

jfriend33

Reaction score
SwiftKey changed my life

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Vegasdroid33

Reaction score
SwiftKey, is the only keyboard you'll ever need! No others, can come close to it.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

jfriend33

Reaction score
I remember the day I upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus from my Droid 3. I was completely bummed. I loved the large then beautiful display. But typing was a nightmare. During my two week return period marketplace changed to play store. They had several apps for 10 cents and SwiftKey was one of them.

I immediately fell in love with it and knew I'd be OK.

Not saying I wouldn't buy a new Droid with a keyboard though!

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I got SwiftKey on that Play Store deal as well, but couldn't get used to dealing with it. My big fingers don't allow me to see the keyboard that well as I try to move from letter to letter. It's been a while, though, so I guess I'll give it another try to see if I can get used to it.

jfriend33

Reaction score
I got SwiftKey on that Play Store deal as well, but couldn't get used to dealing with it. My big fingers don't allow me to see the keyboard that well as I try to move from letter to letter. It's been a while, though, so I guess I'll give it another try to see if I can get used to it.

Yeah I don't ever flow. It's too much work. I like how the keyboard does a heat map and relocates where you press!
ugymypes.jpg

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I know about Heat Flow, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the keyboard "relocates where you press." In any event why would you prefer SwiftKey if you don't swipe with it?

jfriend33

Reaction score
I know about Heat Flow, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the keyboard "relocates where you press." In any event why would you prefer SwiftKey if you don't swipe with it?

Because I don't have to type the exact location of a letter for it to predict my word. And it's becoming more precise with predicting the next word.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Interesting. Think I'll give it more time to see if it gets better at predicting my words...

jfriend33

Reaction score
Oh god ya. It does. And now it can sync across devices the dictionary not the heat map as they could differ on a larger or smaller display.

I love the split keyboard option and use it on my Nexus 7.

I also sync to my sms Gmail and fb so the prediction gets even better.

doogald

Reaction score
I hate swyping. I've been using Swiftkey from a couple of years before they supported the "flow" feature. I can often type the first couple of letters of the word I want and Switkey predicts the word I want - press space bar, and the word auto-completes. It's my favorite Android app. Every once in a while I go back to the Google keyboard and make myself use it for a week - but I always give up and go back to SK.

jfriend33

Reaction score
I was annoyed when they got rid of the rapid and precise style options. Very noticeable different. Now it seems great.