Is Rooting my Droid X safe?

KTI

Reaction score
I'm currently using Launcher Pro on my Droid X and while I like it a lot, I've finally reached the point where I want as much customization as possible.

So my question is, can I safely Root my Droid X without risking really bricking the phone? If so, what are some good methods or tutorials for Rooting?

Thanks.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well rooting alone is unlikely to cause a bricking its what you do after you have root that can do so. If you're looking for a one click method there's an app called z4root that will work and its available on the xda developers site. Or if you want to do it the more involved way you can check the multiple phones root them unroot them link in my sig.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can use z4root but, I HIGHLY recommend reading the info in Spaz's sig as well!

DroidForums junkie!

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
****Charge your phone first, do not try and root a device that's about to die.

1.] Google search: "doroot.bat"
2.] Click on the first link
3.] Follow the instructions

I have a Droid X and this is the method I used to root my phone;
I had absolutely no problems what so ever. In fact, my friend just got a Droid X last week and asked me to root it for her yesterday. I knew she would flip out on me if messed her brand new super phone up, but I had no worries at all. The whole process was over in five minutes, and it was a complete success once again.

Bricking your phone is not something you need to worry about when rooting your device using the method described aboved, its afterwards that people make mistakes; With full accessabilty to all the system files you will have the ability to make changes that could otherwise not be made. If you don't tamper with these files at all then you aren't risking your device, however the whole point of rooting your phone in the first place is to take advantage of this freedom. The possibilities are endless, and you should deff root your phone so you can explore all of these options and transform your device to behave the way you want it to. Its what makes these phones so cool. But after you root, before doing anything else, the first thing you want to is prepare your phone for the worst, set it up so you can recover your device back to a working state even if you manage to screw it up so bad that it bricks.

You will need two applications:
Droid X Bootstrapp
ROM manager

With bootstrapp you make a full phone backup; click bootstrapp recovery, then reboot recovery.

It reboot to a black screen with small green writting. Its a menu with options to wipe your phone back to factory defaults, backup/recovery, or simply to continue with the normal boot sequence and restore your phone to its present state. Navigate the menu with the volume buttons and select with the callers button. Go to backup/restore and create a full backup. It will take a little while, but when its done it will start back up normally. Now use ROM manager to make a backup, it will tell you it needs to install something to work, say ok, and then make a backup. ROM will let you see all your backups and restore to them if u wish. However bootstrapp recovery also has access to these backups so you can restore your device through that if u need too by pulling the battery out and then starting up. You will go to green menu and can restore.

After you made these two backups your good. From here on out use ROM manager to make Backups whenever you like, if you made a bunch of changes and you like it, make another backup. Consider them milestones of your droids evolution, all of which can be used to restore your device back to that moment in time if you need to. They can be restored through rom manager or bootstrapp. In bootstrapp if you choose to wipe the device clean to factory defaults, even then, all of your backups remain intact. You just have to go back into the recovery mode and and go to restore, and pick the one you want.

Your phone is now set up so that you don't have to fear bricking your device, just loosing any progress since your most recent stable backup.

Now you are free to begin making altercations and experimenting with super phone. There's a lot of information out there, enjoy the open playground.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App