Is my phone dead?

YouthQuake

Reaction score
When I went to check my phone after being in my pocket for a while, i turned it on and the bottom row of buttons were backlit but the screen did not turn on. My LCD was flashing the color i have for texts but my screen wouldnt turn on. I did a battery pull and now the phone will turn on but the screen will not. The Motorola logo doesnt come up and the four bottom buttons arent lit anymore. I have tried a battery pull a bunch of times but the screen just wont work. Do I have any options? Is there even a chance SBFing would do anything?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You could try SBF'ing, but my previous D2 did the exact same thing, and it was replaced under warranty.

OP
Y

YouthQuake

Reaction score
Is there any way for me to read my texts without turning my phone on? AKA connecting it to my computer?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

garrettcorn

Reaction score
SBF and if that doesn't work your outta luck and have to take it in

team973

Reaction score
New here...sorry...but what is SBF? My brother is having the same issue.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

cadre.9

Reaction score
My rooted Droid X suddenly blacked out on me. I'm stuck in bootloader. I can get to a menu but nothing works, even a full wipe and factory reset. Everything takes me back to the bootloader screen or the triangle/exclamation. I can't SBF because my computer doesn't see the sd card when I plug it in. This just happened as I was reading email. Does this mean my phone is dead? What can cause that?

cadre

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You PC doesn't need to see the SD card to SBF.

cadre.9

Reaction score
I followed all the steps in the Droid X .sbf Flashing Guide, got to Status: Finished and Result: PASS, however, when I rebooted the screen with the triangle and exclamation again appears and the only way I can shut it down is by pulling the battery. :(

leftspin

Reaction score
you always need to do a data wipe after flashing an SBF. When you get to the page with the Droid icon and the triangle, hit both volume buttons at the same time (or the search button if you SBF'd to GB) then use the volume buttons to navigate to "wipe data/factory reset" or something along those lines and select it with the camera button (or the power button if you SBF'd to GB).

cadre.9

Reaction score
Okay, I finally got into Android system recovery and selected "YES-- delete all user data". After the "data wipe complete" message I rebooted the system and the screen with the triangle and exclamation again appeared. What am I doing wrong?

leftspin

Reaction score
Okay, I finally got into Android system recovery and selected "YES-- delete all user data". After the "data wipe complete" message I rebooted the system and the screen with the triangle and exclamation again appeared. What am I doing wrong?

Did you try rebooting again after that? It should boot normally once you've wiped data, if that won't boot it into the OS then something may have gone wrong during the SBF flash

cadre.9

Reaction score
I followed every step exactly as described in the guide. No matter what I do, the reboot always takes me back to the same screen. This is so frustrating. I've been rooted for eight months, then, all of a sudden my phone is dead. Nobody warned me about this.

leftspin

Reaction score
Have you tried booting safe mode? Safe Mode - DROID X by Motorola

I remember someone else having an issue a lot like this, and through trying various combinations of buttons during bootup they were able to get it to boot into safe mode. That wouldn't necessarily be a solution, but it would at least let us know what we're dealing with (shot hardware, if you end up able to boot safe mode in a way other than the normal way)