Droid 2 wont boot - please help!

Algae998

Reaction score
I was using my phone just fine, listening to a song on winamp, then the phone became extreme slow. It would take about 30 seconds to load/switch home pages or bring up the app window, then the screen went black and was unresponsive (keyboard and icons were still lit up). I pulled the battery, reinstalled the battery and tried to turn the phone on. It seems to be hanging up on the the red droid eye screen and wont go past that. When I turn it on, it shows the Motorola symbol, shows the animated droid lettering then goes to the red droid eye. After a while sitting at the red rotating droid eye, the rotating part stops, the screen darkens or goes black, sometimes after a while of sitting there the whole boot process starts over again. Sometimes its plays the power on sound but the screen goes black and sits there or I have to pull the battery again. The phone is unresponsive after this (screen is black, keys do not light up, power button doesnt work to turn the screen on), but the little green led showing a text or email is flashing. The back side of the phone seems to be getting a bit warm while waiting for it to turn on.
My Droid 2 is stock (has not been rooted). Luckily, if worst comes to worse, I ran MyBackUp on it a short time ago and backed up most of my apps and info (though I dont know how to restore those backsups).

What I've tried so far:
Ive tried turning the phone on with and without it being plugged in.
Ive tried pulling and reinstalling the battery multiple times.
Ive tried using a different battery.
Ive tried removing the micro SD card.
Ive tried a battery that are nearly dead with the phone plugged in and one with the battery at 70% charge.

I'm completely at a loss as to what to try or do. Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Some days the Droid/Android OS would great, other days it seems to run like garbage.

Added info:
I appear to be getting text messages. It plays the sound I assigned for a text sound (sound clip on sd card), vibrates and the green led is flashing but the screen wont turn on. I tried holding down the power button to turn the phone off, but nothing.
I also tried pulling the battery, reinstalling the battery then plugging it into the wall charger. It shows the battery charging on the screen like normal but still wont boot after that.

louy99

Reaction score
Perhaps doing a manual factory reset will do it. Can you turn the phone on while holding down x button? Keep the x button down until you see a triangle with "!" Inside. Then hit the search button on keyboard ( 2nd button left of space) you will see a menu to factory reset/clear data. Try that and reboot. I'd that doesn't work, an sbf is in order!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Perhaps doing a manual factory reset will do it. Can you turn the phone on while holding down x button? Keep the x button down until you see a triangle with "!" Inside. Then hit the search button on keyboard ( 2nd button left of space) you will see a menu to factory reset/clear data. Try that and reboot. I'd that doesn't work, an sbf is in order!

Thanks for the quick reply. I have not tried a hard reset if thats what a factory reset is. I have done a soft reset (shift+alt+delete) which restarted the phone and ran into the same issue again. I assume doing this factory reset will wipe my phone, settings and internal memory?
If so, should I remove my SD card before doing so?
I did make a backup of my phone with MyBackUp..but I havent tried restoring a backup yet. Great way to test it, huh?

I was going to go to a Verizon store tomorrow but if this works thatd be awesome.

Edit: Reboot loop.
I found this video on youtube, this is exactly what my phone is doing, just much slower.
[video=youtube;ThLY5cPPnC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLY5cPPnC0&feature=related[/video]

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
If you don't want to lose what's on your card search the forums for how to SBF back to stock and everything will be fine. You will only have to reinstall your apps.

Is the SBF backup like factory reset, where it wipes everything? I looked at my phone backups and I only backedup my apps..doh! Id really like to avoid having my text/sms and emails erased but if its unavoidable, oh well.
I searched for how to SBF the Droid 2 and came up with this tutorial:
Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers

..though none of the download links appear to be working anymore. If I can get this working tonight I might just have to go to verizon or something.

louy99

Reaction score
Your emails won't erase and everything on sd card will be untouched. Everything else will erase. When you do this and login your gmail account again, all your contacts will comeback and in most cases all the apps will relaod too(they always do when I do factory resets). This is what verizon is going to do and if they can't fix it, they will give you a referb global (which is worse IMO).

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and link. I'm still new and learning a lot when it comes to hands on/hacking/rooting, etc of android devices but will this method work for me? I tried to plug my phone into my computer so I could copy off some things from my SD card (dont have a stand-alone sd card reader) but Removable Device in My Computer will not open. The phone wont boot so I cant switch it to recovery mode and I cant copy/install anything from the SD card, unless there's another way.
My computer doesnt seem to recognize the phone when its plugged in. I cant access the SD card and the MotoConnect hangs up part of the way through the install.
:frown:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok well i rooted my phone with the unrevoked 3 tool today an i got the root well i downloaded rom manager premium from the market place an went into the nightly build an got the cm6 or android 2.2 rom an when it finished downloading it turned my phone off an rebooted it now it wont fully boot up it starts up an says htc logo then says android an its flashin an it will not do anything else plz help i cant afford another phone rite now.

Boot into recovery, wipe data/cache, and reinstall. I'm assuming unrevoked gave you CMR because that's how I rooted my gf's inc2.

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok well i rooted my phone with the unrevoked 3 tool today an i got the root well i downloaded rom manager premium from the market place an went into the nightly build an got the cm6 or android 2.2 rom an when it finished downloading it turned my phone off an rebooted it now it wont fully boot up it starts up an says htc logo then says android an its flashin an it will not do anything else plz help i cant afford another phone rite now.

This is the Droid 2 forum, not HTC.

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
I tried to boot my phone into recovery mode, holding down the X key and power button. The !-sign with the Android comes up, but nothing happens when I hit the search/magnifying glass key. I even tried holding volume up and the camera button, nothing. Am I missing a step?

Here's the link I was following:
How to hard reset the Motorola DROID 2 - Know Your Cell

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I tried to boot my phone into recovery mode, holding down the X key and power button. The !-sign with the Android comes up, but nothing happens when I hit the search/magnifying glass key. I even tried holding volume up and the camera button, nothing. Am I missing a step?

Here's the link I was following:
How to hard reset the Motorola DROID 2 - Know Your Cell

You need to press both volume rockers at the same time when you're at the magnifying glass.

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
You need to press both volume rockers at the same time when you're at the magnifying glass.

Thanks, that worked. I am now at the menu listing. Reboot system just restarted the phone and ran into same boot problem. I guess Ill just wipe data/factory reset, nothing else seems to be working.
I always kick myself in the can when I dont make enough backups of things, it could probably come in handy now.

So, to verify, if I wipe data and factory reset, my phone will be at the "out of the box stage" and Ill need to go through and reinstall all my apps, settings and mail?

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
As an update, I did wipe data and factory reset. The phone boots as normal now. Thank you for the help. Now begins the long process of getting my phone back up to speed with all my apps and settings. I suppose a good clean slate is good every now and then, right?