Is JB worth it?

eidian

Reaction score
I haven't received the JB update yet because I just realized that the phone is running 612 (I don't know how I got off the path, I didn't side load anything).

The phone is running fine so my question is this: is it worth the effort to revert back to 611 so that I can get the update OTA? My phone is rooted, I know how to use RSD Lite, Matt's Utility, etc. It's that I don't enjoy flashing anymore. There was a time I would've done this in a heartbeat--I'm just not feeling it.

If the difference is night and day, I'll suck it up and revert. Thanks for your opinions...

Converted my RAZR to the Maxx. My phone is actually useful now.

deduct

Reaction score
Stock jb alone is better than ICS. Then you take into account all of the custom Roms that are available. I've tried most of them. I really love the 4.2.2 roms. They are stable for the most part. Occasionally I will get a reboot or some lag on them. Liquidsmooth has been the most stable for me. And I usually fall back on eclipse jb since I can get 40+ hours on it. I actually did get over 50 hours once on eclipse and that was all 4g. Love this maxx. So in my opinion, yes, Its well worth the small inconvenience of flashing back to stock via rsd lite and updating to jb.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
deduct, thanks for answering. You gave me the kick in-the-ass that I needed (I should have asked a couple of months ago but of course I didn't know that I was off the OTA path). It's done...It's ironic that downloading Matt's Utility and using that to flash JB only took thirty minutes but it took ninety minutes to root because I kept screwing up.

It's interesting to see how JB is treated differently on the XOOM vs the RAZR. And I'm discovering that some apps are functioning correctly now. It's also interesting to see that Google got rid of their weather widget. Time to go to sleep.

Thanks again deduct!

View attachment 63823

View attachment 63824

View attachment 63825

Last edited:
OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
Wow, you weren't kidding! I've only been playing around with the phone for a little over an hour and I can't believe how much faster the phone is running; the phone isn't lagging or stuttering in any app that I've used so far. I guess the ICS .612 release that I was using has some bugs in it that made the phone run slow and I didn't realize it until now.

I did notice that the timer is missing in 4.1--I read somewhere that 4.2 corrected this. I also noticed that apps that wouldn't load from the Amazon App Store are now loading, I guess there's an OS version check. It would've been nice if Amazon programmed a dialogue box stating that the app couldn't load because the OS wasn't too old or something like that.

I'm very happy now...it feels like a totally new phone after converting the phone to the MAXX last month and now the JB update. I guess I can keep this phone for another two years.

deduct

Reaction score
Nice! Good to hear you made the jump and are happy. I'm also hoping this phone lasts me at least another year. I'm afraid that the new moto x will be too tempting for me when it finally is released however

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Trolling in this thread haha I have to say you would be missing out on a lot if you don't make the jumpto jb. Deduct feeds his phone steroids, that's why it last so long haha but glad you made the jump man.

deduct

Reaction score
Trolling in this thread haha I have to say you would be missing out on a lot if you don't make the jumpto jb. Deduct feeds his phone steroids, that's why it last so long haha but glad you made the jump man.

Hey, the terminator needs a beefed up, muscular phone.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
You're not kidding DevilDog, all of the new Google apps look like they're going to make me dependent on them. I'm trying to figure out how to get that card widget to work with my calendar. I'm trying to minimize the number of widgets.