Is Google sky not working correctly for anybody else?

busab

Reaction score
It seems no matter which direction I point it the phone it always shows a southerly view. It will work perfectly fine looking up and down however. I also downloaded SkEye and I had the same results. Are these apps just not compatible with the Razr or do I have a hardware problem?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

chiehkai

Reaction score
I think I have the same issue. The sky couldn't be viewed 360 degrees, mine stops and starts to reverse at a certain point.

mportuesisf

Reaction score
I haven't tried Google Sky on my RAZR yet, but have you calibrated the phone's compass and accelerometers? Odds are this is the source of your troubles.

The "Compass" app from Catch.com is good for calibrating the compass. You face north and wave the device in a figure-8.

The "GPS Status & Toolbox" app can calibrate both the compass and the accelerometers.

chiehkai

Reaction score
Yeah so far all compass apps work completely fine, The apps that aren't working are Google Map / Sky Map and SkEye. Could you at least do a test and let us know the results?

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
Just got the droid a few days ago. When messaging, how do I change the picture icon that appears for 'ME' when I send a text message and it shows in the conversation window?

Thanks

I have the same results. Compass apps seem to work fine but none of te sky apps work correctly.

R

RETG

That sounds like the same problem that the Droid X had after the initial GB upgrade. Compass worked fine, but google sky was erratic and not accurate. It was fixed with a software upgrade to GB a month or two later.

gling

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with both Google Sky Maps and any compass app I try. With Google Sky, it will change view when moving vertically but horizontally, it always says north. I've tried three different compass apps and they all do pretty much the same thing. West stays pointing toward the bottom of the phone and stays there no matter which way you rotate the phone. One compass app, the needle just spun in circles.
GPS seems to be working fine.

Update: Took it back to Costco and exchanged it for a new one.
I feel better knowing I don't have to hope for a software update that may or may not fix it. Pretty sure it was hardware related anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

chiehkai

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with both Google Sky Maps and any compass app I try. With Google Sky, it will change view when moving vertically but horizontally, it always says north. I've tried three different compass apps and they all do pretty much the same thing. West stays pointing toward the bottom of the phone and stays there no matter which way you rotate the phone. One compass app, the needle just spun in circles.
GPS seems to be working fine.

Edit: Took it back to Costco and exchanged it for a new one.
I feel better knowing I don't have to hope for a software update that may or may not fix it. Pretty sure it was hardware related anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Thanks for the update.

So now Google Sky works fine on your new Razr when [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]moving horizontally?[/FONT]

mportuesisf

Reaction score
Just tested my Razr with Google Sky Map, and Star Chart. Both had problems like everyone reports here. When I point to the East, the phone thinks West.

I've calibrated the compass from within the Compass app, and both it and GPS Status indentify directions correctly. So I have no idea what's gokng on here.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using DroidForums

Zandar

Reaction score
Confirmed not working here. GPS and compass (Catch.com one) both work fine; Google Sky Maps is erratic at best.

mhogan

Reaction score
Same problem with SkyMap and SkEye that everyone else has. Looks like an OS upgrade is needed.

DansDroid83

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues as everyone else as far as the Google Sky app goes...noticed one person returned theirs for a new device and it worked. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with being rooted? Is that a possibility? Is everyone that is having issues rooted?

ofdm

Reaction score
I have a stock phone and Google Sky is all sorts of screwy.

Zandar

Reaction score
Stock and screwy here. That sounded strangely dirty.