Sky Map, Compass, GPS Status, Level Not Working

Waltsm53

Reaction score
I've seen previous posts concerning Google Sky Map and Compass not working on a RAZR, and I have the same issue, plus GPS Status and Level. Any app that relies on direction finding or hardware sensor does not work. My phone has the latest updates so I was wondering if anyone has heard new suggestions to fix this very annoying issue. I've seen comments that the last update might have fixed this, but not for me. Any help is appreciated.

SallyC

Reaction score
I don't know if this will work for you, but when I've had a compass or sky map that's not working correctly I rotate it around on 3 axis. So turn the phone 3 times with it flat like it were laying down face up, then have the phone upright and rotate 3 times, then on one side, rotate 3 times. This has always fixed it for me.

BobC43

Reaction score
After the update mine still did not work either. Called Verizon and got them to ship me a new Razr. All issues fixed. I had the problems rooted or not rooted.

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Keep in mind this phone is very sensitive to e m interference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
W

Waltsm53

Reaction score
Guess I will call Verizon as nothing seems to work for me. Thanks

bikercr

Reaction score
I've developed exactly the same problem. .173 update seemed to fix it, but now not working again. I'm going to revert to a prior CWM backup and see if that works. If not, I'll have to swap the phone out. This has got to be a very common problem with the Droid RAZR.

Robotics

Reaction score
I remember my original Droid telling me to calibrate it by moving it in a figure "8" position. This seems to work with the Razor also.

Just extend the phone in front of you and rotate in a figure "8" (without the quotes of course :p )

OP
W

Waltsm53

Reaction score
I ended up having Verizon send me a replacement. All the apps work just fine. I had opened a ticket with Motorola, but they would not acknowledge the issue was related to the phone. I told them I tried a half dozen directional compass type apps from different developers, and none worked properly. They all pointed in the direction I pointed the RAZR, not north. But I got nowhere.

feanorfenwe

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue. I got the Elixir 2 App and checked the sensor readouts from the magnetometer, the orientation sensor, and the rotation vector sensor. All of them are apparently taking power but not giving any readings. Anyone else getting that?

OP
W

Waltsm53

Reaction score
I'm convinced it is the phone. I had Verizon send me a replacement and all the apps work fine.

wpwoodjr

Reaction score
I just got he RAZR MAXX last Wednesday. The compass worked fine. Then on Saturday it stopped working. If I wave the phone around in a figure 8 the compass shifts position but then freezes again. I tried booting into safe mode but that didn't help.

I'm going to ask Verizon for a replacement.

GnomeSane

Reaction score
I noticed that my compass was whacked out when trying to use the geocaching.com app. Since then, I downloaded a bunch of compass apps and they're all the same: If I rotate the phone, the "north" needle tends to stay put.

I went around and around with the verizon rep because she kept saying "Those are all 3-party apps and Verizon doesn't suppose them, you need to contact the author of that app." Is there a way - using only what shipped with the phone - to prove (or disprove) that the hardware compass sensor is to blame?

wpwoodjr

Reaction score
I noticed that my compass was whacked out when trying to use the geocaching.com app. Since then, I downloaded a bunch of compass apps and they're all the same: If I rotate the phone, the "north" needle tends to stay put.

I went around and around with the verizon rep because she kept saying "Those are all 3-party apps and Verizon doesn't suppose them, you need to contact the author of that app." Is there a way - using only what shipped with the phone - to prove (or disprove) that the hardware compass sensor is to blame?

I had the same problem. It worked fine for the first few few days, then had the same behavior as yours. Is yours new too? Maybe its a bad batch.

First I called Verizon tech support and went through the process with them. I explained that the compass didn't work, and that in Google maps the little blue arrow was stationary and did not move relative to the map when turning the phone. The Verizon guy didn't know that the phone has a magnetic compass and tried to tell me it doesn't :)blink:). I told him to Google it :)

Eventually we got to where I did a factory reset (didn't help) and I called back. I got a smart support guy this time and he agreed that there must be something wrong. He wrote in my support case that the phone was DOA and had me go into the store to replace it since I was within my 14 day return period. You may have to get a warranty replacement, which may be a refurb but possibly not since the phone is so new and popular.

If you do go into the store, bring up Google maps on their RAZR and show the blue arrow moving relative to the map. Then show your phone and how the blue arrow doesn't move relative to the map when you turn the phone. Make sure their RAZR works first ;)

GnomeSane

Reaction score
I had the same problem. It worked fine for the first few few days, then had the same behavior as yours. Is yours new too? Maybe its a bad batch.

wpwoodjr: Great info, thanks. Great tip on using the Google Maps app as that's a built-in app.

I guess they're ALL "new", but my phone arrived to my office Feb 10.

One problem is that the compass issue seems to be intermittant. For instance, RIGHT NOW it's working, but in a day or so it'll fail, then start working again. It doesn't seem to be based on location either (like somewhere that might have strong interference)...at least not as far as I can tell.

The verizon rep I spoke to also recommended a factory reset, but put in her notes that if a factory reset didn't fix it, that I could swap the phone out under the warranty. I'm really torn since I DON'T want a refurbished phone, and I'm happy with everything except for the compass. That - and the fact that people seem to be saying that a lot of RAZRs / RAZR MAXXs seem to have this issue, so I'd hate to swap it out to get another phone that doesn't work.

When you swapped yours, did you get one with a working compass?