Working compass?

dajakal

Reaction score
Am I the only one who can't get compass apps to work? I tried the Snaptic one and GPS Status, and both of them just have the needle pointed in the same direction all the time (about 30*, if that matters). It's confusing and annoying...

DuctTape

Reaction score
The compass on the Tricorder app is accurate on my phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with either app but any GPS-based compass is going to require you to move. If you think about it, it's impossible to tell which direction a stationary object is facing based on its GPS coordinates. With two or more known coordinates it can determine your direction.

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
There are magnetic compasses on the market too, though. I believe that is how the Tricorder functions.

mikie

Reaction score
calibration for stuck compass

Am I the only one who can't get compass apps to work? I tried the Snaptic one and GPS Status, and both of them just have the needle pointed in the same direction all the time (about 30*, if that matters). It's confusing and annoying...

@dajakal sorry to hear you're having problems. luckly, it's an easy fix :) (i'm a a developer for snaptic). the hardware magnetic compass in the phone gets "stuck" and needs to be re-calibrated. to do this, you basically hold the phone out infront of you, and circle it around in a figure-eight motion. let me know if this doesn't fix it.

here's a link to my reply on another thread w/ the same issue:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/7416-compass-problem-droid.html#post60877

apple uses the same technology; here's their writeup on the problem/solution as well:
iPhone 3GS: Re-calibrate Compass

please let us know if you have any other comments/feedback!

thanks,
mike

mikie

Reaction score
There are magnetic compasses on the market too, though. I believe that is how the Tricorder functions.

@dr. tenma yep, snaptic's compass app uses the same api. the droid has a hardware magnetic compass, and the os provides api's for accessing the data; the iphone uses the same techonlogy/process too.

regards,
mike