Is buying the insurance worth it- $7/month?

smartphone1

Reaction score
Few quick questions from a Noob.

Just got the DroidX yesterday- the salesman said it costs over $500 to replace and the insurance is about $7 a month. Is it worth it?

Also, do you recommend the screen saver guards? Got a pack yesterday that said Droid on the box but they seem too small (didn't cover the entire screen).

Also, where is the best place to buy the car charger/DroidX accessories besides the Verizon store ($29.99)?

Thanks- :)

want a droid

Reaction score
The insurance is completely preference. Some will say its worth it some will say its not. It depends on how careful you are with your phonen and how often you damage phones.

Some say the monthly fee plus the deductible of close to $100 aren't worth it for insurance. I say id rather be covered and not have to go to an old crappy phone or shell out $500 for a full retail replacement.

My advice: get it

Unless money is tight or you're extremely confident in your phone safety handling skills, then don't get it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jr313

Reaction score
Yes definitely get insurance its worth it cuz u never know accidents do happen no matter how careful you are with your device but of course thats my opinion but i do have it on my phone...

Sent from a galaxy far far away

adsfa34

Reaction score
Just do the math -- $7/mo for 24 months is $168. Replacement cost is nearly $600. The deductible is usually $60-75 (not 100% which). Seems pretty straightforward to me. Even a DX off eBay will be well over $350-400.

Also, keep in mind that insurance covers things that the warranty doesn't. The thing is that if you finish your contract without needing to use the insurance, you won't have missed the $7 a month. That's less than the price of a good submarine sandwich. ...BUT, if you NEED the insurance for some reason, and don't have it, you'll really wish you had sacrificed the $7 per month.

It's all a personal choice, but it seems justified to me. Keep in mind, that's my opinion, but I did get my degree in finance :)

Timberwolf

Reaction score
I also would say get it. I've never broken a phone before but within a month of getting my D1 I left it in my bag for baseball and it rained and received water damage. But like everyone has said, that's just my opinion.

anuraj1

Reaction score
I have never dropped my Droid and I treat it like a baby, but 1 month after the manufacturer's warranty ran out, the touchscreen went bad. Insurance saved me.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
+1 I would say go for insurance. I treat my phones VERY well, and I have had to get 2 replacements since last february. Stuff happens, and it truly is a cheaper route than not to have it.

I don't use screen protectors. Never have. Never will. Gorilla glass is extremely durable, and I have even intentionally scratched my screen with a sharp key to know for sure (with a little liquid courage of course...). Screen protectors take away from the beauty and functionality of the screen IMO.

Best place to buy accessories? I always go to amazon.com.

Sent from my Droid using my Droid

markwebb

Reaction score
+1 to go for the insurance. Since these phones are like mini laptops and quite expensive, it is well worth the monthly fee.

I treat my phone gingerly and have never dropped it. However, as they say, "ya never know" when disaster should ever occur, so the insurance gives me peace of mind for damage, theft, loss, etc.

Conversely, if it were a simple flip/clamshell/bar phone, I wouldn't bother with insurance (and never did).

droidxdude859

Reaction score
No Brainer

My boss ran over her new droid 2 45 days after getting it, 15 mins on the phone for a claim and $90 dedc.

She got a brand new phone in her hands 18 hrs later.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have always had insurance on all my phones. You just never know and like it has been pointed out all ready the overall cost of the insurance plus the deductible is still less than the purchase price of the phone should you have to replace it.

As for the question regarding the screen protectors. I use them I also put them on my husbands phone. He carries his phone in his pocket and the screen protector seems to keep the change and keys from scratching the screen. But those are a total preference. Some will tell you no you do not need it because of the gorilla glass. So that one is up to you.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Most folks say to get the insurance, but on my family plan (2) that would be $14 per month to cover both phones. Instead, we have our older D1 as a backup for our two D2s. In the six years we have been with VZW, only once have I damaged a phone (it took a swim in the porcelain pond) and I used a backup phone until I was eligible for an upgrade. Also factor in that the cost of a replacement phone will decrease over time as better models come out. What retails for $600 today may be available on eBay for under $300 in a year. It's a gamble. Your call.

jr313

Reaction score
+1 on the screen protectors also...its always better to be safe than sorry...and its better not to have to look at an ugly annoying scratch on the screen...

Sent from the back seat of your car...look in da rear view!

carguy

Reaction score
Few quick questions from a Noob.

Just got the DroidX yesterday- the salesman said it costs over $500 to replace and the insurance is about $7 a month. Is it worth it?

Also, do you recommend the screen saver guards? Got a pack yesterday that said Droid on the box but they seem too small (didn't cover the entire screen).

Also, where is the best place to buy the car charger/DroidX accessories besides the Verizon store ($29.99)?

Thanks- :)
Welcome :D

I say negative on insurance, that is for big expensive items that can come close criple you financially :D

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Amazon is a good place to buy the items, especially after a few months when retailers are desperate to get rid of overstock.

As for insurance... $8/month and $90 co-pay is a lot easier to swallow if you break your Droid (whatever) tomorrow than $250+ and waiting a week to get it delivered from an eBay purchase. :)