Droid 2 Warranty question

Reaction score
I was looking at the warranty info and it sounds like it pretty much doesn't cover anything but technical issues (what is the point??). About a month after I got my Droid 2, I accidentally dropped it in a bowl of cereal (don't ask lol) and I got a boot screen that wouldn't go away. I went to Verizon and the guy that helped me got it to back to normal, but my wife tried calling me and when I answered I couldn't hear her and she couldn't hear me. Long story short, the guy said something about a "worry free guarantee", pronounced it D.O.A and gave me a new D2 free of charge. Was this a part of the warranty or is this something entirely different? My new D2 is having a problem where when I lock the screen, sometimes it doesn't want to unlock. Some of the time it will unlock, whereas other times I actually have to pull the battery out and reboot for it to unlock. I was thinking about going and seeing if I can get another phone. I'm sure this would count as a technical issue but I don't know with me already on my 2nd phone if they would issue me another one.

I don't have insurance on it (I was meaning to get it but being busy with work and all, I totally forgot about it) but I was looking at other insurance options and I came across Worth Avenue Group. It looks pretty solid to me. Anyone know if this is a good insurance to go with? Here are a couple links:

Droid 2 Insurance: Don't Buy from Verizon / Asurion | Operation Android

Their website:
Get iPhone Insurance and laptop insurance with a Worth Ave Group Insurance Policy

Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My new D2 is having a problem where when I lock the screen, sometimes it doesn't want to unlock. Some of the time it will unlock, whereas other times I actually have to pull the battery out and reboot for it to unlock.

This is a known problem with the D2s and from Motorola itself, the recommendation is for Verizon to replace it immediately. Had the same problem and when I told the guy on the phone, he didn't even ask me to try and troubleshoot, no hard reset, no nothing. He just said I'm sending you another phone, told me it was a known issue, 24 hours later I had a replacement. No problems ever since.

OP
Ghost Of Sparta
Reaction score
Lol a bowl of cereal?? How?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

I said don't ask! lol.

Nah, I was on Facebook on my phone and eating a bowl of cereal at the same time. Phone slipped out of my hand and into the bowl of cereal.

OP
Ghost Of Sparta
Reaction score
My new D2 is having a problem where when I lock the screen, sometimes it doesn't want to unlock. Some of the time it will unlock, whereas other times I actually have to pull the battery out and reboot for it to unlock.

This is a known problem with the D2s and from Motorola itself, the recommendation is for Verizon to replace it immediately. Had the same problem and when I told the guy on the phone, he didn't even ask me to try and troubleshoot, no hard reset, no nothing. He just said I'm sending you another phone, told me it was a known issue, 24 hours later I had a replacement. No problems ever since.

Yeah?? Awesome! This "guy" that you talked to, was this a guy at Verizon? Probably a stupid question, but just making sure. When did this happen? Maybe I will call tomorrow then and give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up :)

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, it shouldn't have been covered under warranty. The VZW representatives should have never replaced the phone, and no, it shouldn't have been covered under the "Worry-free Guarantee." You got lucky, plain and simple.

The warranty, like you said, should cover mechanical failure, such as a mainboard failure or LCD burning out.

If you've dropped it into a bowl of cereal, that's why you were offered insurance. Either way, that phone is replaced.

You new issue is a technical/mechanical failure, and you can either (a) call the VZW warranty department or (b) take it to a corporate VZW store and they'll replace it, so long as they don't find physical damage.

OP
Ghost Of Sparta
Reaction score
No, it shouldn't have been covered under warranty. The VZW representatives should have never replaced the phone, and no, it shouldn't have been covered under the "Worry-free Guarantee." You got lucky, plain and simple.

I'm just telling you what they told me.

What about the insurance? You know anything about these guys? I know I was "offered" insurance when I got the phone, but I turned it down point blank and forgot to get it. Now I'm looking at other options and I am asking if anyone has heard of them.

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm just telling you what they told me.

What about the insurance? You know anything about these guys? I know I was "offered" insurance when I got the phone, but I turned it down point blank and forgot to get it. Now I'm looking at other options and I am asking if anyone has heard of them.

I don't use Asurion or Worth Avenue. I can't address either of them.

Reaction score
I have Asurion. Haven't used it on my Droid, but I used it to get my enVtouch replaced. Cost me $90, but I had it in 2 days. It was a refurb, but it worked/looked as new. I filled out my claim online in about 5 minutes. I can't complain.