Is an OTA upgrade to 4.0 as good & reliable as buying it preinstalled on a device?

BKS

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new RAZR. But I'm curious if the OTA upgrade to 4.0 which will happen , God knows when... is as solid as possibly waiting until the device might start shipping with it already installed???

Thanks for your input.

Brian

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new RAZR. But I'm curious if the OTA upgrade to 4.0 which will happen , God knows when... is as solid as possibly waiting until the device might start shipping with it already installed???

Thanks for your input.

Brian
I've had two different Moto Android phones and have never had an OTA update issue be it an update or upgrade from one OS to another. If you want a Razr then pull the trigger, the chances you'll have an OTA problem is very, very unlikely. However, if you root your phone before getting the upgrade from Gingerbread to ICS then ALL bets are off. There were a lot of Razr owners who rooted their phone right before the last update came out and they had significant problems...not all...but quite a few.

bullswife98

Reaction score
I've had two different Moto Android phones and have never had an OTA update issue be it an update or upgrade from one OS to another. If you want a Razr then pull the trigger, the chances you'll have an OTA problem is very, very unlikely. However, if you root your phone before getting the upgrade from Gingerbread to ICS then ALL bets are off. There were a lot of Razr owners who rooted their phone right before the last update came out and they had significant problems...not all...but quite a few.

That's because when they rooted they removed system apps. I was rooted and did not remove any apps just froze only and once I saw the update rolling out just unfroze them received the ota and updated fine with no issues. So as long as you don't remove any you will be fine.

Sent from my Updated and Rooted Razr sliced thin! :)

todroid

Reaction score

JP, that was only the case because the fastboot files were not available at the time. Now, you can mod your Razr to pieces, then flash the fastboot, and you'll be back on stock, ready for an update. Rooting is not an issue (anymore).

However, to be fair, an update to ICS might be. For quite a few users on Droid X, Moto update to GB brought a few bugs which were later remedied in further updates. Now that the Blur is a lot less intrusive (a skin, really), and the fact that Google is insisting that ICS theme remains intact, Moto's changes to ICS should be small, which reduces bug chances. But, the possibility is still there.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
That's because when they rooted they removed system apps. I was rooted and did not remove any apps just froze only and once I saw the update rolling out just unfroze them received the ota and updated fine with no issues. So as long as you don't remove any you will be fine.

You are one of the few who had enough knowledge (or sense) to only freeze...not delete or move.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
JP, that was only the case because the fastboot files were not available at the time. Now, you can mod your Razr to pieces, then flash the fastboot, and you'll be back on stock, ready for an update. Rooting is not an issue (anymore).

However, to be fair, an update to ICS might be. For quite a few users on Droid X, Moto update to GB brought a few bugs which were later remedied in further updates. Now that the Blur is a lot less intrusive (a skin, really), and the fact that Google is insisting that ICS theme remains intact, Moto's changes to ICS should be small, which reduces bug chances. But, the possibility is still there.
Don't get me wrong guys, I have nothing against rooting your phone. My only point is that if you don't understand what you're doing (and yes at the time recovering from root if something went wrong was not available and now it is) then you may have problems if you start to "tinker" and not understand what you're doing and the consequences when you want an OTA update or upgrade. It just floored me the number or guys who rooted the day or two after getting there razr, moved or deleted files, and then had a problem with the update. I've rooted other phones...it's kinda fun to do "just because you can". But, with the memory we have and the lack of good ROMS (right now anyway) I just can't find a "need" to do it. But again...I'm not bad mouthing root...just understand what you're doing.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

Yeah I agree. Hopefully GB to ICS will be painless for rooted and non-rooted users...I guess we'll see in a few months.

todroid

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. Hopefully GB to ICS will be painless for rooted and non-rooted users...I guess we'll see in a few months.

Amen, brother!
And, yes, I did not root until the fastboot files were available and verified, just because of how smooth and reliable the stock was. Didn't see a need. But once the safety net became available, decided to freeze some unnecessary (to me) processes, save some battery life...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Amen, brother!
And, yes, I did not root until the fastboot files were available and verified, just because of how smooth and reliable the stock was. Didn't see a need. But once the safety net became available, decided to freeze some unnecessary (to me) processes, save some battery life...
Have you found a significant difference in battery life after you've rooted. If so, what did you freeze to make the difference. Also, are you using Juice Defender...the root version?

todroid

Reaction score
Have you found a significant difference in battery life after you've rooted. If so, what did you freeze to make the difference. Also, are you using Juice Defender...the root version?

I did not do any definitive tests, but yes, I think I noticed a significant difference. I did not go crazy and only froze the processes that were normally showing up for me in the "running services" and I did not use them. That included all Backup processes (3 of them), Sync Service, IM (2 of them), Verizon Location Agent, Slacker, News, and Weather. I did not freeze anything else, as if it's not running, what do I care if it's on my phone. Tons of memory for apps. I can always hide them in my LauncherPro.

I do not use JD, stock Smart Actions is plenty for me. Wifi on, cell off at home base, then battery extender, and nightime battery saver (with hours adjusted to my schedule). With my light use, I usually see two hours before F changes to 90%.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I did not do any definitive tests, but yes, I think I noticed a significant difference. I did not go crazy and only froze the processes that were normally showing up for me in the "running services" and I did not use them. That included all Backup processes (3 of them), Sync Service, IM (2 of them), Verizon Location Agent, Slacker, News, and Weather. I did not freeze anything else, as if it's not running, what do I care if it's on my phone. Tons of memory for apps. I can always hide them in my LauncherPro.

I do not use JD, stock Smart Actions is plenty for me. Wifi on, cell off at home base, then battery extender, and nightime battery saver (with hours adjusted to my schedule). With my light use, I usually see two hours before F changes to 90%.
Thanks...sounds good.

bullswife98

Reaction score

I think so, or it seems so at least for me. I rooted only because I wanted to freeze some of the crapware Verizon seems to think I need... which I don't need. I honesty did all my rooting and romming back when I had my Og Droid1, now that's pretty much out of my system (kinda like been there done that sorta thing) don't really have plans on romming the Razr as I like what's on mine anyways but nice to have the option if I want to. Just waiting for a rom worthy to do so if ya know what I mean. Lol.. and yes I have fastboot files/rsdlite saved to my computer files, backed up everything in safestrap,backed up all apps (all of them) and froze user apps that I don't use.

Task killer... I only use the one that is native to the phone. And I have it set to kill only apps like FB, browser, and such apps as getjar and slacker, ect.. only cuz they auto start andi like to manually start them as needed. Third party task killer apps I refuse to use as they will burn through a battery like in no time which defeats the purpose.

As to the apps that I froze there are many threads out here as to what's ok to freeze and what's not... I just looked through and wrote what applied to my interests and froze them. Went to rom manager did a fix permissions, rebooted to recovery, wiped cashe, wiped dalvic cashe, went into android and all is well. No issues and awesome battery life. No data drops, get all my notifications and all my texts and get / receive calls and emails just fine.

Last edited:
OP
BKS

BKS

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses! I too most will most likely not be Rooting or Romming my Razr, but I am learning a bunch as I read this thread all the other great info to be had on DF.net :biggrin:

todroid

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses! I too most will most likely not be Rooting or Romming my Razr, but I am learning a bunch as I read this thread all the other great info to be had on DF.net :biggrin:

There's no wrong way to carry a Razr :wink-b: