Intrusive/objectionable EULA's (for example with swiftkey x trial)

lmpmd

Reaction score
Some of these user agreements are scary! For example I downloaded swiftkey x trial to try. When I go to make my selections it says something like "this program is going to steal your text, steal your passwords, steal your whole life and withdraw all your money from the bank and your life will be ruined". I'm grossly exaggerating here of course. But it does say some scary stuff. Do you folks just ignore these warnings? I'd like to try swiftkey - but wasn't willing to ignore the warnings. Curious what others do (not just with swiftkey but also other apps that when your about to use them you get warnings or a 28 page EULA you have to agree to.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
It makes sense that a keyboard replacement will have access to everything on your phone as it tries to anticipate what words you are aiming for.
When I first got Swype I read the explanations carefully and it all made sense.
If Swiftkey was stealing from people, with over 45,000 paying customers, you'd think we'd have heard about it by now.
No worries.

Tapper

Reaction score
Hi Impmd,

We take privacy very seriously and SwiftKey does not collect any personal data without your explicit permission.

While your quote is admittedly exaggerated, I believe that I understand what you're referring to. The warning message that says SwiftKey may be able to collect 'all the text you type, including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers' is part of the Android operating system that appears when any third party keyboard is enabled.

SwiftKey personalizes its predictions based on your writing style but does not store personal data such as passwords and credit card numbers.

Additionally, if you choose to personalize using services in the cloud such as Facebook, Gmail or Twitter, we use API authentication and so do not have access to your passwords for these services. All data is dealt with using anonymized requests.

See our privacy policy here: Privacy Policy from SwiftKey™ * Revolutionary text prediction for smartphones, by TouchType for full details.

Should you have additional questions, feel free to get in contact with us at [email protected].

Kindly,

Evan Tapper
SwiftKey Community Manager

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Agree with swift-key guy. EVERY after-market keyboard will give this warning. They need to access everything you type because, well, you are using them to type everything. The stock keyboard does as well.....it just doesn't alarm with the warning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums