International Travel - GSM/CDMA Confusion

islatron

Reaction score
Everything I've read online tells me that the Droid Bionic isn't capable of using the GSM network in the UK (where I am traveling). However, when I called Verizon's Global Services, the representative I spoke with told me that my phone would indeed work. I'd like to get this figured out before my trip as it's one less thing to worry about while there. Was she mistaken, or has something changed? Thanks for any insight you can provide...

Edit - also wanted to add that when I initially used Verizon's "Trip Planner" on their website, it told me my phone would NOT work.

Last edited:

dfcfu342

Reaction score
The Bionic does have a global GSM radio in it but it is locked out and unusable. So technically yes you could but you have to hack the radio which actually has been done before. If you Google it you'll find it.

Perhaps the Verizon rep you talked to let it slip that they're going to unlock the global capabilities like they're planning to for the RAZR.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
I

islatron

Reaction score
The Bionic does have a global GSM radio in it but it is locked out and unusable. So technically yes you could but you have to hack the radio which actually has been done before. If you Google it you'll find it.

Perhaps the Verizon rep you talked to let it slip that they're going to unlock the global capabilities like they're planning to for the RAZR.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Nope, the Verizon rep was just misinformed. I called back again today because I was getting more and more suspicious, and the person I spoke with confirmed that it was a mistake and my phone won't work. Glad I found out before my trip.

Thanks for your help :)

FrankieZee

Reaction score
I went in to VZW a couple weekends ago because I will also be going to Europe next week, and I was basically told it would be useless without wi-fi while over there.

Edit: Accidently hit submit before I was ready.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

hts4215

Reaction score
There is a fairly simple hack that enables the gsm and allows you to insert a different carrier's sim card in there. I did this recently in Europe and it worked well. Only minor downside was having to get a prepaid sim.