Internal vs external memory for he videos

densetsu86

Reaction score
Hi have a question I just got a smart phone my first one and it s the DROID x2. I am a major anime fan. And I was reading on here people where having problems with video play back on hd video. I usually like to watch hd anime (720p in mkv x264) and when I tried to play the file it ran at in very low fps and the audio was way ahead of the video. Tried a few video players but all retain this issue. Now from what I read on here it sounded like people where using the external cards but I had them on the internal 4.33gb not the 8gb external one. My question is if I did the root and sd speed increase will the internal play it better or is getting a class 6 or up microsdhc card going to do the trick? Main reason why I was going to use my cell as an easier way to watch anime on my hdtv via the microhdmi out. It was part of the reason I got the phone. Dual core 1ghz 512mb ram for a none computer system should play it back fine but sadly this is not the case. Just wondering. Non-hd anime plays just fine. And I can live with it if I have to since my old cell could barely play an anime ep regardless of res size.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

vvildcard

Reaction score
If you rooted your phone, you might be able to get a performance increase with the SD Speed Increase app (see link in my signature). I suspect, however, that the issue is not with how much data it can pull from the SD card.

My best bet is that you're running into a bug/issue that will need to be addressed in a patch from Motorola.

vvildcard

Reaction score
densetsu86, we've come across some new tweaks that might be able to fix your video skipping problems... you have to root the phone, so if you're willing to do that, let me know and we can see how it works for you.

OP
D

densetsu86

Reaction score
Im new to everything but yeah im willing just as long as I don't crap out my phone.

vvildcard

Reaction score
Don't worry, I won't ask you to do anything that won't be fully reversible.

I'll have time to put everything together tonight, but I should have plenty of time tomorrow.

vvildcard

Reaction score
Rather than throw all the performance tweaking scripts at you, I want to start slowly with a few specific modules to see how big of an impact they make... So here's a really simple script that we can run to switch your scheduler from cfg to noop. Apparently noop handles video much better...

1. Root your phone with Gingerbreak (APK | Instructions)
2. Install Script Manager (free on the Market)
3. Download the attached text file (V6_NoOp.sh.txt).
4. Open Script Manager and browse to the script. Rename it and remove the .txt extension (Long-click > Rename).
5. Open the script (if it prompts about how you want to open it, select 'Script').
6. Check the box to 'Run as root' and then press Run.
7. Load up one of your videos and let us know if it runs better, or not.

The settings changes that the script are reverted when you reboot the phone... so no permanent changes have been made.

OP
D

densetsu86

Reaction score
ok did it but no change. is there anyway to make sure its running? i checked superuser app and it shows that script manager is on but when i did it i didn't really get a confirmation that it was running (the script that is).
how do i freeze the bloatware cause i see over 200mb being used on stuff i don't have access to before i did the root.

Last edited:

vvildcard

Reaction score
Freezing bloat is done with one of two apps... Titanium Backup (paid version only; ~$7) or Bloat Freezer (doesn't have as many features as TB but only $1). There are plenty of other freezer apps, but I have no experience with them. There are some other threads that list apps that are safe to freeze without bad side-effects.

To see whether or not the settings are in place, download the attached script, remove .txt and run it (no root required). The output before running the other script will have [cfg] in the results... the output after running the other script will have [noop] in the results.

If [noop] did get activated and there was no change, do the freezing (if you're willing to pay) to see if that helps. If not, then we'll see if the V6_SuperCharger makes a difference (I suspect it will).

OP
D

densetsu86

Reaction score
ok so i froze a few things and have confirmed noop is up but i got no difference and also have sd speed ubcrease but no luck.

OP
D

densetsu86

Reaction score
ok i went to droid x2 hack and memory tweaks and followed the instructions for v6 supercharger. and im using seepu and man o man did it free up a lot of memory. i have 3 quaters if not a little bit morethen that of the ram bar filled (meaning free) where as before it was always hanging around the bottom meaning mostly drained.

so its on and its working i could not do the tweak before v6 supercharger as im missing the file in general in the data folder.

but alas still choppy playback. is it possible to run v6supercharger and noop at the same time?

if it is and i still get this issue it has to be an issue with froyo and the not being able to utilize tegra2 properly. heck im using sd speed increase at 3000kb and still having issues when 2048 didn't fix anything. but my phone is running faster extremely fast boot and operation.

Snow02

Reaction score
How big are those video files you're trying to play? Most x264 720p mkv videos use a really high bitrate.

Also, I don't know of any android player that really handles mkv well. This is likely less an issue with the phone, and more an issue with the video format and your expectations of what the phone is capable of. Convert it to something else - avi or mp4 preferably, with a reasonable bitrate, and you should be fine.

OP
D

densetsu86

Reaction score
well the droid x2 with moboplayer has no real issues with mkv playback. i have a lot of files in h264 with a bit rate of 1.30 and at 704x400. but a file at 720p bit rate 1.6 and above crap out the video. music plays fine but video run slowly. may have to wait untill the next gen of phones. but these thing are able to mirrow to a hd tv at 1080p yet can't handle 720p h264 makes when it clearly has h264 playback ability is just sad.

may be an issues with froyo not being optimized for dual core (yes this makes the difference) maybe one day and hopefully in two years when qudcore are the norm and an android fw optimized properly maybe it will.

i expected nothing more or less then what the specs said. h264 and upto 720p playbackand rec yet it can't do it.

Snow02

Reaction score
1.3 what when you're talking bitrate? Mbps?

Also, you realize 720p is ~twice the resolution of 704x400. So that's not really a helpful comparison.

And again, just because a given resolution is said to be playable, they are going to cite a figure using an unspecified format (probably mp4), at an unspecified bitrate. In other words, ideal conditions. I guarantee you they didn't use mkv bluray(?) rips.

While it's certainly likely that additional optimization would yield better performance, at least for the time being, you really just have unrealistic expectations here. You're going to need to re-encode the videos.

Additionally, moboplayer is unlikely leveraging hardware acceleration, and is probably using software decoding, which uses the cpu rather then the gpu to decode the video. This makes a gigantic difference. So, if you use a format that the stock player can use, you'll see the additional benefits of hardware acceleration.

Last edited:

Snow02

Reaction score
I found a relevant thread on xda. Give it a read.
Link

Last edited:
OP
D

densetsu86

Reaction score
The bit rate of the file im trying to read is 1.6 and up. My phone seems to be able to handle 1.3 with out any issues. Now I can play a 720p be rip of a movie without any issues. But yet with anime it can't. Now my stock player.can play mkv just fine sometimes its audio. And I use a sub rip file so I can use hardware and not software decode yet still l have issues.