Internal memory missing

Reaction score
So I went through a hell of a pain in my rear last night because I screwed up my phone. Finally got an FXZ that worked and am back to stock unrooted JB. I went right to bed as it was updating all my apps. When I woke up I had a warning that the internal sd card is not mounted, it also doesnt show up when plugged in and I don't see any options to format or whatever. How do i fix this or format the internal memory? Factory reset?

WolfBrother

Reaction score
This happened to my wife about 3 weeks ago. I could not save anything for her. Her card would not reformat at all. Had to get a new card.

3 days ago i factory reset my phone and after booting back up I received the same issue. Reformatting worked, I could not back up any of my data, (about 7gigs) but the card now works fine.

If you have a card reader on your computer, try to back up your data if it will let you.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
You guys are talking apples and oranges... The OP is referring to internal memory... Did you try plugging into the computer and see if you can access internal through USB? Then eject the drive and unplug ... Maybe that will remount the internal card? If you CAN access through USB... Make a backup in case anything else goes wrong...

For the second poster... Always remove your SD card when doing updates and factory resets... Why leave something in there to get wiped when it pops right out so easy:blink:

oldguy

Reaction score
Internal SD Card wont mount on Droid Bionic

You guys are talking apples and oranges... The OP is referring to internal memory... Did you try plugging into the computer and see if you can access internal through USB? Then eject the drive and unplug ... Maybe that will remount the internal card? If you CAN access through USB... Make a backup in case anything else goes wrong...

For the second poster... Always remove your SD card when doing updates and factory resets... Why leave something in there to get wiped when it pops right out so easy:blink:

I have seen this problem twice now on two different Bionics. Internal SD Card shows up in Files as 8GB at 0 bytes. I had a 16 GB card in the external slot and that card mounted fine. Both times occurred after an AP Flasboot to return the OS to stock and then rooting using the Ubuntu exploit (see "Rooting the Droid Bionic running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for dummys" and "cdma_targa_9.8.2O-72_VZW-22_cfc.xml.zip"). Latest version of RSD Lite with MKT patch. I had nothing on the internal SD card that I wanted but couldn't get to it to format it. However, I was able to get an error in the notification bar at the top of the screen after running ROM Manager and running th fix permissions script. Somewhere in the middle, it throws an
permissions error. Clicking on the notification error allows a format to be done. After the format, the SD Card mounted and was fine.

oldguy

Reaction score
P.S. to Post #4. I only used ROM Manager for the fix permissions script to generate the error. On the bionic, Safestrap is best for booting other ROMs and there are other apps that are better for creating a recovery zip.

drauku

Reaction score
I have seen this problem twice now on two different Bionics. Internal SD Card shows up in Files as 8GB at 0 bytes. I had a 16 GB card in the external slot and that card mounted fine. Both times occurred after an AP Flasboot to return the OS to stock and then rooting using the Ubuntu exploit (see "Rooting the Droid Bionic running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for dummys" and "cdma_targa_9.8.2O-72_VZW-22_cfc.xml.zip"). Latest version of RSD Lite with MKT patch. I had nothing on the internal SD card that I wanted but couldn't get to it to format it. However, I was able to get an error in the notification bar at the top of the screen after running ROM Manager and running th fix permissions script. Somewhere in the middle, it throws an
permissions error. Clicking on the notification error allows a format to be done. After the format, the SD Card mounted and was fine.

I am also unable to mount the internal sdcard after using the MKT patched .xml update with RSD Lite v6.4.1 to upgrade from stock ICS to JB (the .xml without the edit would not even get passed step 3 in RSD), then following the same video to root using a 32bit ubuntu distro.

I first tried wiping caches and the fixing permissions in Safestrap v3.11, but that didn't work... I continued to get an unable to mount sdcard error. Even trying to format the sdcard in Safestrap did not work.

oldguy, yours is the only post I've seen after two days of searching where this issue was resolved, but I have been unable to reproduce your results even after running ROM Manager's Fix Permissions script. I get a popup window with "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" to which I click OK and then the script stops There is no notification for me to click on in order to format the SDCard.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I could proceed?

oldguy

Reaction score
I just rooted another bionic using the tiny Linux exploit which was based on the same method. I didn't lose the SD card, fortunately. However, I got the same error using fix permissions that you are seeing. The only difference was that on this phone I didn't flash the OS from the zip file mentioned above. I also used the tiny box exploit which didn't create the problem.

drauku

Reaction score
If you didn't flash the OS from the zip, did you just do an OTA update? I tried the ota update but it failed, the only one that would work via RSD was the modified update... ohwell. I just might be out of luck. I'll keep working on it, try to flash a different update via RSD if I can maybe.

oldguy

Reaction score
Some things to try...

"If you didn't flash the OS from the zip, did you just do an OTA update?"

The phone where Rom Manager just gave me the "privileged commands" error came with 4.1.2 installed. I purchased it on Amazon as a used phone. I don't know how it got to 4.1.2 but I didn't reflash it using the MKT modified .zip file prior to rooting it. I used the root method found in the thread that I linked in below, however, and it rooted the first time and didn't take away access to the internal SD card. I guess, if I were where you are, I might try the following:
1. Do a factory reset to get back to a clean OS. Hopefully, that will get you back to an accessible internal SD Card. If it doesn't, then, I am not sure what else you can do other than trying to reflash the MKT modified file and see if that doesn't help.
2. Reroot using the method in the thread below. When I used that method, I didn't lose my internal SD Card.
3. If all that fails, then maybe try to ask the Rom Manager folks if there is any way to get around the privileged commands error that their program is encountering. Also, there may be someone out there who knows how to get to the process to format the internal SD Card when the OS is not presenting it properly.

New root method with a virtual box of Linux running on Windows:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...asy-root-bionic-stock-4-1-2-jelly-bean-4.html

drauku

Reaction score
I have gone through a couple factory resets trying to get the internal storage recognized, along with re-rooting it each time. Thanks for the alternate root method, I'll try it when I get home from work today and hope that it allows me to access the internal memory.

drauku

Reaction score
In preparation for re-installing RSDLite on a new OS, I went through the steps to install the Moto drivers (USB Debugging, tap on the three connection options in the OS, and reboot into Fastboot). After rebooting into Fastboot and getting those drivers installed in Win7, the next time I booted the phone, there was a notification saying my internal SD card needed to be formatted before use. I formatted it and it's working fine now.

The only thing I did differently during this reboot from the countless others was go into Fastboot, so perhaps that's what fixed it... either way it's working now and I maintain root.

Thanks for the help!