1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Intermittent Booting

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by astevens54, Mar 11, 2011.

1. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

I just got my new Droid X moving up from the D1. I have a couple of intermittent reboots over the last couple day. It's not rooted right now, but was via z4root. I also have CM and SetCPU which are not functioning since the phone isn't currently rooted. The 2 times it rebooted was when I tried downloading MMS from Handcent. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
  2. jellybean420

jellybean420 New Member

Mine did alot when I had overclocking and memory optimizing apps installed. First step try removing setcpu whether your rooted or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  3. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

Thanks, done. I will watch and see what happens.
  4. wxwax

wxwax New Member

Chronic rebooting is part of the Droid X user experience.

There have been a lot of threads in a lot of forums about this problem. I have yet to read an explanation for why it happens. Nor is there a universal cure.

Motorola? Crickets.

My personal assumption is that since the original Droid didn't have this problem and also didn't have Verizon's funky software installed, the culprit is lousy software by Verizon.

Since that can't be uninstalled, if I'm right it's a permanent condition.

I'm extremely unhappy about it. I regret having bought a Droid X. I would never recommend it to anyone.
  5. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

It hasn't been that big of a problem for me. If gets worse I will root and flash it that will resolve the problem.
  6. wxwax

wxwax New Member

I don't know how to root and flash.

Why are you confident that will solve it?
  7. XDRDX

XDRDX New Member

I have seen this quite a bit and was usually caused by the user not having switched the kernel from the leaked 2.3.320 to the newest official 2.3.340 release kernel I would recommed if you haven't done that and were on the leak to reflash your kernel. I would also reroot and run fix permissions from inside of clockwork mod or root tools. If that doesn't fix it do a factory reset or sbf back to fresh loaded 2.3.340 and do a factory reset from within the OS and start again from the beginning.

If overclocking it could easily be from over or under volting during that operation.

There could also be the off chance that handcent is conflicting with some other installed software and factory reset try reinstalling it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  8. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

Check it out in the forums, but it is a complete reload of the X. This replaces and remove the bloatware as well. Custom ROMs allow for theming and customizing.
  9. wxwax

wxwax New Member

Thanks. So you also believe that the Verizon software is to blame?
  10. XDRDX

XDRDX New Member

I highly doubt that. I believe that Verizon's software I'd bloat and slow's down the device but I have yet to see any reboot issues on a device that is completely stock with no root ever installed nor root requiring apps installed unless it is a soft reboot from being out of memory.

This can be fixed by installing memory booster lite and running it every so often. This frees memory currently being held that is no longer needed, it also does not require root.

11. wxwax

wxwax New Member

Well, now you have.

Completely stock Droid X, reboots like Imelda Marcos in a cowboy store.

Thanks for suggesting Memory Booster Lite. I'll try it. I'm skeptical that I run out of memory, though, since my usage is bog standard.
  12. XDRDX

XDRDX New Member

In the about section does it show your version is 2.3.340 or 2.3.15? This used to happen in 2.3.15 prior to the 2.3.340 update.

I would recommend if you have never been rooted or not rooted since your last 2.3.340 SBF I would boot into recovery holding the home key. Then hit search button and do a factory reset then once into your is do a factory reset again within the OS from settings -> privacy -> factory reset.

Then only install handcent and see if it reboots again. This will cause you to loose all apps and settings.

Also is handcent installed to you SD Card or Internal memory. To check go to settings -> applications -> manage applications and see if it said sdcard. If it is on the SD card it could cause issues. Also I would try backed mg up my SD card and then doing a format from within settings. That may help also.

13. wxwax

wxwax New Member

To the best of my memory it came installed, haven't updated operating system since purchase.

Hesitating to do a factory reset as I've read from others who've done so and still experienced reboots.

No Handcent on SD card or anywhere else. Used to have a non-Google chat app but uninstalled it when I thought it was a rebooting suspect.

I sure do appreciate your suggestions.
  14. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

It's definitely Handcent SMS. My Droid rebooted twice this morning while trying to access a MMS in Handcent. The same MMS open in the stock message app with no problem. Handcent is not install on my SD card. I sure hate to stop using Handcent, I've used it for a long time and really like it.
  15. RCFlyn

RCFlyn New Member

I don't have handsent, & I'm as stock as stock can be, & I just started getting the random reboots a couple days ago.sure is annoying getting woke up@2am by phone saying "dddrrrrrrooooooiiiiiiiiiddddddddd", just 2 find out it really wasn't a text message.. The only thing non-stock is I'm running go launcher ex, (& have LP &ADW, not running)... So, I don't think its handsent.....

Swyped from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  16. murf0217

murf0217 New Member

I've never rooted my DX, but other than that I've been through the same things that were mentioned earlier. I've had my phone replaced twice. In my opinion you get the phone because you want to be able to run the apps. If you can't then what is the point of having an Android phone? So far this third Droid X has rebooted once on me in a two week period. My other phones it happened daily (sometimes 4-5 times a day!) If it happens again I'm going back for a different phone. Sorry... I love the phone, but the rebooting kills it for me. And Verizon is definitely aware of it!
  17. wxwax

wxwax New Member

I'm pretty sure if you turn the sound off (using the slider on the first screen) the phone remembers and obeys that command when it reboots.

Doesn't solve the problem, but at least you'll get a full a night's sleep!

Frankly, I think the only thing that will solve the problem is removing Verizon's crappy software. I'm not holding my breathe waiting for that to happen.
  18. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

I don't think my stock DroidX 2.2.1 (with 2.3.340) is rebooting too often.
    But it has been known to reboot occasionally: sometimes when I hook it up via usb, or in the middle of using some app. I don't have Handcent installed.

Annoying thing is that the Uptime counter is not reset when it does these reboots, so I can't really tell.
    I call these "Secret Reboots", which may be happening more frequently than I notice.
    Anyone know of an app that keeps track of Android Secret Reboots?
    In a normal Linux system, one has access to boot.log, but not on Android... Why would Google hide boot.log of all things, I wonder...

19. Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter New Member

My DX rebooted randomly from day one. It did it stock, rooted, rommed, with and without bloatware, etc. I tried every "fix" I could find in every forum I could find. Nothing worked, and apparently even Motorola has given up. Finally I called Verizon, got a refurb the next day, and have had zero reboots since. I am convinced it's a hardware issue and my advice is don't waste your time, just call Verizon and get a replacement.

20. xan

xan New Member

:)

Same here. bone stock warranty replacement reboots 3-4 a day.

In my experience with VRZ, they have an amazing track record of screwing up an otherwise perfectly working device. This is not the first smartphone ive had from them that in reality turned out to be a "dumbphone", as my GF puts it.

I have a hard time believing that moto, the company that made the hardware that communicated with the apollo missions to the moon 40 years ago, cant make a reliable handset now.
    :icon_ nono2:
Search tags for this page

droid dna intermittant reset

how to fix my android intermittent rebooting

intermittent booting past droid

my droid x intermitently resets