Reboot stick on "M" screen. Message alerts work!

TreyStyles

Reaction score
Reboot stuck on "M" screen. Message alerts work!

OK. I've seen a bunch of posts about people having their DX being stuck on the "M" screen. But I haven't seen anything like mine. Please read on...

When I reboot my phone I intermittently get stuck at the "M" screen. But it seems like everything else is booting up behind it normally.

I hear the Droid voice which is a part of the boot up process, the phone vibes as if it is booting up normally, and I even get message alerts and hear calls come through. But it's stuck on the "M" screen.

Then I pull the battery. I let it boot up and it either gets stuck again, or boots normally with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I have to pull the battery 5 or 6 times before it boots up normally.

This has happened since my initial boot on day I received my DK.

A VZW rep said for me to do a factory reset. I did it, and the first time I booted up it was stuck on the "M" screen again. So that obviously didn't fix it. 2 battery pulls later it was fine.

Any ideas???

Could this be a hardware issue???

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
might be if the phone is booting but the screen isnt working.

idk what to really suggest. are you on 2.1 or 2.2 (and which one like the leaked one or OTA) bc you mgiht be able to flash the SBF.

Daali

Reaction score
I hope it isn't hardware as mine will do this from time to time, resulting in a battery pull.

Do you have a lock pin on it? If you do not, you can blindly slide the bar and then hold the power button to turn it off. I have pin and sometimes I can do it blindly, power down, and power up fine. I hate doing battery pulls as this siedo rugged case makes it a project LOL

OP
TreyStyles

TreyStyles

Reaction score
I'm on the 2.2 OTA official release. This issue happened on the initial reboot after the update.

I'm now rooted, deodexed via the Black Glass Deodexer theme, stock ROM, and it is still happening. It's been happening at every stage of the process. Before I rooted, after I rooted. Before I deodexed, after I deodexed. After I did the factory reset. I also haven't deodexed after the factory reset. Still happening...It's really interesting/annoying.

emichel

Reaction score
But Why Does This Happen?

I just got my Droid X a week ago, so have 2.2 and everything's brand new. I have not done anything fancy or unusual to it at all, unless downloading a few wallpapers and apps is unusual. Last night I pulled it from the dock, moved the dock into another room, put the phone back in it (fully charged), and it went black. I could only get the "M" screen, but wasn't sure if I should pull the battery because the green light was still flashing. This morning I did pull the battery, and everything's back to normal. This really bothers me, though, because I don't have a land line, and I sure would hate it if the house was on fire and I couldn't use my phone. Is this normal for phones, or a glitch with this model?

cmaricque

Reaction score
i have had this problem recently and found out it was a kernel that i was using. as soon as i went stock it booted right up. now i found one where i dont have the issue and my phone is completely normal again