Instant Messenger

khelek

Reaction score
when using meebo and the beta yahoo messenger does this eat at your text usage or is it considered data?

What is "messaging" on the desktop, is that texting or something else?

Lastly, my wife also has the droid but we do not have a texting plan. Is there a way to send messages to each other without using or getting charged for texts?

1) all of the IM apps I've seen use the data network so it does not go over SMS. This makes sense as all the smart phones require a data plan, so doing IM over SMS is silly.

2) Messaging on the desktop is SMS through the phone, so if you had a texting plan, this is what would take texts from your available pool

3) If you and your wife have Google Voice accounts, you can install the app on the phones and use GV for texting between each other. Because this is done through Google and not Verizon, ti does not depend on a text plan. I actually had planned on doing this for all my texting, except I needed a text plan for work because I coudln't receive pages I need via GV

Hope that helps!

Brian

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Anyone looking for a good all-in-one IM app may want to take a look at Nimbuzz IM. It works with Skype, Facebook, AOL, Windows Live (MSN), Yahoo, Google Talk, StudiVZ and a bunch more I've never even heard of.

There is also ebuddy im that works with MSN, Facebook, Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, Google & MySpace.

or IM+ Lite which works with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Jabber, Google and MyspaceIM

I know nimbuzz works very well (a friend uses it) and I have had ebuddy and IM+ on my BlackBerry in the past work well too.

OP
G

goodnluck2000

Reaction score
I am not looking at ALL-IN-ONE solution. Somehow, all in one solution doesnt work as well. Instead I am interested for ONE-to-ONE solution... same duplicacy of functionality will be great "good to have" feature! Will someone help me find a good Yahoo Msgr for the droid please with message archival, webcam, etc features?

J

JohnDroid

Damn, Meebo worked perfectly for me, both my AIM and Yahoo accounts.

Adlerson

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good IMer too, no luck so far. I've tried Meebo, which crashes all the time, and eBuddy, which disconnects me way too often. (For instance when I wake up in the morning I have to reconnect it because it will have disconnected at some point during the night, every night.)

Btw, I feel like a newb for asking, but where do you get Google Talk from? (I'm assuming it's not the same as Google Voice..)

Cheers,
Addy

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
It appears the only standalone msn app is the Hi MSN app.

I tried it. It does work, but the interface is clunky and I really didn't like the layout at all, especially since it uses an xbox interface (I'm a ps3/sony fanboy).

I was thinking about trying the Nimbuzz. It appears that since Hi MSN seems to be the only half way decent app, we have to use that, or use the multi network program Nimbuzz.

There is certainly a lacking department for good single service messengers.

I'm pretty disappointed with the messenger apps out there. I was sure there would be some good once since instant messaging has been a basic feature of phones for years, even verizon has an IM app for its other phones, which I've used on my last phone.

I personally don't like using apps like ebuddy, which work through third party sites (e-buddy.com). I prefer to have a direct connection to the messaging service right from the app instead.

atlharry

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good IMer too, no luck so far. I've tried Meebo, which crashes all the time, and eBuddy, which disconnects me way too often. (For instance when I wake up in the morning I have to reconnect it because it will have disconnected at some point during the night, every night.)

Btw, I feel like a newb for asking, but where do you get Google Talk from? (I'm assuming it's not the same as Google Voice..)

Cheers,
Addy

I thought google talk came pre-installed on the droid...

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
meebo works best for me.. and it connects to FB chat client as well..
i tried ebuddy once but the screen goes wonky especially when i go to the buddy list..

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Cheers,
Addy

I thought google talk came pre-installed on the droid...

It does. It's under the "talk" logo.

chuzbox

Reaction score
does anyone know if meebo does PUSH updates to the phone or if it's constantly checking and using the connection?