installing new SD card?

scottzilla

Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't an incredibly dumb question but I never did this in a mobile device.
I have a new larger micro sd card. Do I simply remove the old card and swap it out for the new card? Does the new card have to be formatted or something?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
you can swap it and then format it in the phone itself...that should take care of it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may or may not be formatted. It doesn't hurt to format the card with the phone so it's formatted with the proper filesystem. Just be sure top copy everything over.

OP
S

scottzilla

Reaction score
I see a few apps run on the SD card (Like Doubletwist, Amazon, Pic Say, etc).
I assume these apps will contine to work once the card is swapped?

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
When I swap card I usually plug the phone up the put the new SD in my computer then just swap everything that's there onto the new 1 that way there's no questions that's just me though

Tappen and Talken

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I see a few apps run on the SD card (Like Doubletwist, Amazon, Pic Say, etc).
I assume these apps will contine to work once the card is swapped?

Scott, if you are doing a simple swap you should do one of the following...

Go into application management and "move" those apps that are on the card back to the phone memory before replacing the card with the newer one, otherwise they will not work. Not doing this isn't irreparable, you would simply go back into market and uninstall and reinstall the apps...it's just easier to move out and back after the new card is installed.

Also, many apps place the downloaded data onto the card. This data will have to be moved manually either by using a USB adapter into a desktop PC, or by copying the data to the phone as well, then copying it back using an explorer app (like Astro or similar utility).

However, the best possible solution is to simply clone or mirror the entire old MicroSD card onto the new one before inserting it in as the replacement. This way, the moving of the programs from the card memory and back is not necessary and the new card will retain all the other downloaded data in the same format and file folder structure as the original.

I use a program called "beyondcompare", available as a working demo for free here (Download this directory compare and file compare software - Beyond Compare lets you compare text files, synchronize folders, and much more.). This program (like many others out there) is designed to essentially mirror one drive or selected file(s)/folder(s) to another drive or folder. It is capable of doing a full duplication or selective duplications in a "sync" process, and has several levels of error detection from simple time/date to CRC, to bit by bit comparison. It provides tremendous customization and filtering of the sync process or a full sync with no filtering or switches.

Using a tool like this would require you either create a temporary directory on the desktop PC's drive to be the holding tank for the data coming off of the original MicroSD during the initial copy, then swapping the old for the new MicroSD and reversing the process, or if you have 2 USB adapters you can do a direct copy from one to the other.

Last edited: