Installing a custom rom...

cleave

Reaction score
I recently rooted my D1. Could someone tell me how to install a rom and what exactly are the benefits of doing so? Also, will I lose anything by doing so, such as battery life, swype, etc? Which rom would be the best general purpose rom?

~Sent using my thumbs~

~Sent using my thumbs~

bluerexracer99

Reaction score
I use chevyno1. Its a nice smooth running rom and I haven't had n e issues so far check his threads 5.01 Its sweet cuz he brought in some cyano parts. U must use rom manager correct. If not buy it its a need to have. And n e questions u have their are a ton in that thread that would love to help good luck.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bluerexracer99

Reaction score
Also a need to know always wipe unless its and update for the rom u are running. titanium back up will back ur apps up there's a free one but u should support ur devs only because what they do makes android os sick.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Custom Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

The link above has several D1 roms and from what i have read and from what buddies have told me Project Elite is smooth and has a good UI. Cyanogenmod/MIUI/ChevyNo1/bugless roms are also pretty good and have good support. Might want to just read about each one and see which one has the options you like and which one meets your needs. Also look in the ROM thread and see what people say about it being stable (no force closes or random reboots) and also see what people say about battery life in each ROM thread.

Might want to clcik the search tab and search "install droid rom" in the google search box. after you search it click on the first link. I would post the link here but im not at the crib with my computer.

You also wont loose much of anything because you can backup your data with titainium backup and back up you rom with a nandroid backup through clockworkmod recovery. You can install that via "ROM Manger" app and ROM manager also has a one click option to "backup current ROM" which is quite useful.

Some of the benefits of installing a rom are that you can customize your Android to fit whatever needs you may have. It also can increase the speed and make your droid run smoother with less lag. Also it can help out with you battery life. Every rom has diff features and it can be addictive flashing between roms and themes. Hope you can find the right ROM boss and feel free to post any questions you may have in the process of flashing roms. Always someone willing to help out. Enjoy the stay and enjoy N. Cali. boss

Last edited:
OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
Thanks blue, but I'm a rookie. Don't know what "wipe" means?

~Sent using my thumbs~

bluerexracer99

Reaction score
Batteries life will all depend on kernal and use u can find different kernils u must make Sure the are comparable in the threads they will usually wich ones have been tested but some phone prefer different things so u just find the best. Usually a lv one will give u more battery life. Check it out also liquid is another favorite and cyanogenmod seems to be on top of things too. Hope it helps. First step is rom manager from the market. One time fee but its so worth it

doomer4life

Reaction score
The benefits of using a rom on the d1 well for me I lost no stock functionality but gained a lot of functionality and it boosted the performance of my phone greatly by using custom kernals I was able to both overclock and undervolt which for me my phone blazing fast and gave me better battery life.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
So will rom manager do everything for me once I dl the rom? Also, can I get back to the way my phone is now if I don't like it or if it's too confusing?
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the info.

~Sent using my thumbs~

bluerexracer99

Reaction score
It will wipe the previouse setting well pretty much everything but sometimes if u don't u may brick it and that's a process I don't want to deal with. Check Chevy out the new 501 just dropped like 4 days ago and I love it the colors. It also has a theme switcher so if u don't like the theme u can always change it to make it fit your need good luck and if u get lost pm me and I will do the best I can to help. Do u know what ur running now?

OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
Blue, I have no idea what I'm running. As far as I know, I haven't installed any rom yet. I just rooted the phone about 2 weeks ago and have been contemplating this rom thing every since. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm pretty good at figuring things out. I don't know what "wipe," "flash" or any of that lingo means. But I'm willing to try and figure it out.

~Sent using my thumbs~

OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
I just want to make sure I won't lose swype (i would be lost without that)?

~Sent using my thumbs~

bluerexracer99

Reaction score
In the manager right before it rebooted it will ask wipe and back up always back up so u can get back to where u were. Ur gonna be addict once u really figure it out its worse than crack. No joke.lol

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you make a backup via clockworkmod recovery it will make a backup of all the settings on the current rom. Just make sure you make the backup while your on the stock rom. Also when you download ROM Manager it should have the option to "flash clockworkmod recovery". Should be the first option when you open up the app

Sent from my Liberated D2

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well you can download a rom anytime and it is just gonna stay in the download folder on your droid until you need it

Sent from my Liberated D2